shape
carat
color
clarity

My ruby

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TKC

Shiny_Rock
How much does this ruby worth? Unfortunately, I cannot take a good picture of the ruby. Unlike spinels, the ruby glow makes it hard to take the actual color. It is always have a pink hue on the picture, I do not know why. The actual color is more red and more eye clean and a bit deeper in red. The weight is 2.72 carats. Is it a vivid red "pigeon''s blood"? I also have a report from GRS saying vivid red "pigeon''s blood". Here is the closest color of the ruby I can take, but cannot compare to the actual color.

H Burmese Vivid Red Ruby 2.72ct. 1F.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
its nice enough you need it checked in person.
What does the grs report say?

TKC

Shiny_Rock
GRS says
Iden. : Natural Ruby
Color : vivid red (GRS type "pigeon''s blood")
Comment : H(a)
Origin : Burma (Myanmar)

Whay do you guys think?

TKC

Shiny_Rock
By the way, is the GRS lab. very reputable? Thanks

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is over my position.
This is a very very busy time of year for the experts but maybe one will comment.
You can look around for comps on the net but there arent going to be many.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Rich would be able to help out. Looks like a fine stone! H(a) means slight evidence of flux filler but insignificant, description of GRS report is at http://www.gemresearch.ch. If I was spending many thousands of dollars for this I'd probably get AGL or AGTA to also have a look, but the GRS report is a good first step.

Nice Christmas gift for someone?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi TKC. Dr. Peretti''s Gem Research Swiss Lab is a well known and respected lab, but like most labs (Beesley''s AGL lab excepted) doesn''t go heavy into quality analysis, and therefore it is difficult to judge quality based on the report.

From the photo and the report it does however appear to be a fine quality Burma ruby with minor clarity enhancement via heat treatment (fissure healing "with or without" Borax residue). They also assign the term "pigeon blood" which is a little surprising coming from a lab. You wouldn''t usually expect a lab to use subjective terminology such as "pigeon blood" and "magnificent gemstone".

Labs are great for determining identification, country of origin and treatments or non-treatments. None however take on the tough job of assigning a value. For that you need a top-notch appraiser or dealer who knows rubies like he knows his first born male child. I''m not sure what part of the world you''re in so I don''t know who to recommend.

TKC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/20/2005 11:49:35 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Hi TKC. Dr. Peretti''s Gem Research Swiss Lab is a well known and respected lab, but like most labs (Beesley''s AGL lab excepted) doesn''t go heavy into quality analysis, and therefore it is difficult to judge quality based on the report.

From the photo and the report it does however appear to be a fine quality Burma ruby with minor clarity enhancement via heat treatment (fissure healing ''with or without'' Borax residue). They also assign the term ''pigeon blood'' which is a little surprising coming from a lab. You wouldn''t usually expect a lab to use subjective terminology such as ''pigeon blood'' and ''magnificent gemstone''.

Labs are great for determining identification, country of origin and treatments or non-treatments. None however take on the tough job of assigning a value. For that you need a top-notch appraiser or dealer who knows rubies like he knows his first born male child. I''m not sure what part of the world you''re in so I don''t know who to recommend.
Hi Richard, thanks for your reply and info. I live in California, L.A. county. Regarding appraisal of a stone, I have seen many diamonds and gemstones were appraised 3 times or even 10 times of their values. I don''t know how the appraisal works. And, what is it for? Why are stones appraised much more than their values? I want to have more info about appraisal. Thank you very much.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2005 12:42:10 AM
Author: TKC
Hi Richard, thanks for your reply and info. I live in California, L.A. county. Regarding appraisal of a stone, I have seen many diamonds and gemstones were appraised 3 times or even 10 times of their values. I don''t know how the appraisal works. And, what is it for? Why are stones appraised much more than their values? I want to have more info about appraisal. Thank you very much.

Usually stones are appraised much more than their value by appraisers who don''t know what they''re doing.

There, I said it.

Appraisers who know what they''re doing usually figure a fair wholesale value for the stone, and then apply a fair retail markup in the appraisal.

This usually does not translate to "3 to 10 times their value".

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2005 12:42:10 AM
I live in California, L.A. county.

In California, I don''t know which appraiser to refer you to, but as far as a vendor who "knows rubies like his first born male child" I would recommend Bill Larson of PalaGems International.

Bill knows value because he shells out his hard earned money every day for fine colored stones. I would recommend him as a bonafide expert to value your ruby.

TKC

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Richard for your information. And, thank you San Diego Lady for your kind words. By the way, I just found out that the weight of the ruby when I weighed is a bit more than 2.73 carats, but stated in the GRS report 2.72 carats. My scale is quite accurate. The dimension is about right. Is it possible that the GRS lab. made mistake on the scale?

TKC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/25/2005 9:38:46 PM
Thanks Richard for your information. And, thank you San Diego Lady for your kind words. By the way, I just found out that the weight of the ruby when I weighed is a bit more than 2.73 carats, but stated in the GRS report 2.72 carats. My scale is quite accurate. The dimension is about right. Is it possible that the GRS lab. made mistake on the scale?
Anyone can help me to answer my question?
35.gif
Thank you very much.

kc

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
There is never an "exact" weight when weighing anything. The equipment can only weigh items with a certain amount of accuracy. Also a more accurate measurement of 2.72546ct might have a reading of 2.72ct or 2.73ct depending on whether the reading was truncated or rounded up.

Joker....

donnanwl

Rough_Rock
I just don''t know how much your ruby worth, but i also have a similar question as yours: i am interesting in a ruby which is a heart sharpe ruby in 4.52ct GRS report says it is H(b) grade (heat treated with minor residue found) and the origin is Burman with color of pigeon blood. it is asking for $15,000. Does it worth it? Anyone can help?

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
From the photo and the report it does however appear to be a fine quality Burma ruby with minor clarity enhancement via heat treatment (fissure healing ''with or without'' Borax residue). They also assign the term ''pigeon blood'' which is a little surprising coming from a lab. You wouldn''t usually expect a lab to use subjective terminology such as ''pigeon blood'' and ''magnificent gemstone''.
Assiging the term Pigeon blood red makes just as much sense as Padparadsha, though almost every lab in the world will do it (only AIGS don''t, to my knowledge).
Why not after all ?

"Magnificent" is very subjective, but the fact is that GRS is getting a big part of the lab market because their certificates make gems easier to sell, and gemstones dealer look for that first.

Typically AIGS certs (this is my reference as it''s the one I use the most) is not helping to sell, they write "Opinion on origin" instead of some more "sexy" introductions, will put rather bad photos and you do not even know who did the testing as no name of gemmologist is mentionned.

GRS has also been extremely successfull in it''s promotionas a leading lab.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results