shape
carat
color
clarity

My Ruby turns brown from pink

Matin Noori

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone my uncle gave me his Ruby and i want to know if its natural or not and i know there is only one way and thats sending it to lab, but the tests are very expensive in here.
The thing is my ruby turns from pink to red and then brown depend on where i hold it and i want to know what does it means 20220924_195032.jpg

Attachments

• 20220924_195018.jpg
    20220924_195018.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 19

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any stamps on the inside of the ring (like 10K, 14K, 18K, 925, 095) indicating a precious metal?
If not the stone is likely not a real natural ruby.

About the color change ...
Could it be a windowing light brown stone mounted on something red which wouldn't show the red background when turned on its side?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I can't really tell from your pics. Do you see any inclusions in the stone? Is it set in stirling silver?

Matin Noori

Rough_Rock
Are there any stamps on the inside of the ring (like 10K, 14K, 18K, 925, 095) indicating a precious metal?
If not the stone is likely not a real natural ruby.

About the color change ...
Could it be a windowing light brown stone mounted on something red which wouldn't show the red background when turned on its side?

Yes there is and yes it turns brown when i look at it from the sides

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Based on all of the above, It is probably a synthetic, or something else that is a low value. Sorry…

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What you're describing sounds like plechorism -- displays different colours from different angles. But I can't see what material it would be to display that type of plechorism. Sounds wrong actually, especially with one of the colours being brown (doesnt sound consistent with spliting of colours due to different refractive indicies along different crystaline planes).

Want to show us the back of the setting/basket right behind the stone? Is it backed?

Can you see any evidence of oxidation arround the inside walls of the basket.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is likely the stone fluoresces in daylight and turns pink vs brownish in LED and halogen type lighting devoid of UV.
In silver there is no chance it is a natural ruby - and synthetic rubies fluoresce more strongly than natural ruby.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby can be dichroic and one of the colors is more pink and one more orange, IIRC. Dark orange = brown. Similar to how a cab sapphire fashioned with the c-axis pointing up will look more violet when viewed from the side in one orientation and more green when viewed from the side in another orientation. I have seen this very clearly in sapphire with my own eyes, but I do not own any rubies.

But I agree with others' posts about the low (but still non-zero) likelihood that it is genuine "earth-mined" ruby.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results