shape
carat
color
clarity

My Ring's Rough Journey

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I hope this is the correct forum for this post...

My ring has had a hard year and has been at three different jewelers for almost six months. I am excited to finally have it back with me!

Here is the story:

I got a new setting for our 5th anniversary in 2009. As many of you know, I selected this beautiful James Meyer setting.

bberryjm2.jpg

bberryjm4.jpg

Last year I lost a lot of weight and my ring began sliding off my finger. I intend to continue with my weight loss so I wasn't ready to have it resized just then. I took it to a local jeweler, J. Brooks, that I have often used for small repairs. I asked them to put in sizing beads. I figured that this would be the best "fix" so that I could still wear my ring until I was ready to have it sized. The jeweler asked me why I didn't want to just have it sized and I explained that I would only feel comfortable having the original jeweler do any real work on the ring. I asked the store to note the slight hammer finish on the outside of the ring. This was one of my favorite features of the ring and I wanted them to call me if they were going to have to polish it off.

I heard nothing for two weeks and then got the call to come and pick up my ring. This is the ring that they returned to me.

photo%201_1.jpg

Their jeweler had "redone" the hammer finish (which I didn't ask for). The finish was so deep that there were actually dents in the sides of the ring.

photo%203_0.jpg

photo%204_1.jpg

I expressed my deep dislike over what had been done to my ring. The owner told me that I had asked for that finish and that all he was willing to do was polish it off. I did not want this b/c I didn't want that much metal taken off my ring. I told him that I wouldn't be satisfied until they reshanked the ring. He said he would but when we came back to pick it up he had just buffed off the hammer finish. The ring was now significantly thinner and one side was even thinner than the other.

I didn't want J. Brooks to do anymore work on my ring, so at that point we contacted our insurance company. I wanted J. Brooks to pay for James Meyer to repair my ring. J. Brooks told my insurance company that I was a liar etc. and refused to pay. However, my insurance company decided that I wasn't responsible for the damage and agreed to pay for James to fix my ring.

I sent my ring to James and he replaced the shank. When I got the ring back I was very disappointed to sees that there were visible, dark seams on both sides of the ring.

rachel3.jpg

I didn't feel comfortable working with James again so I was at a loss regarding what to do. I then took my ring to OC Tanner where they laser welded a new shank on the ring. I just got my ring back about a month ago and I am so pleased with the final product. I also really like the fact that it is just as sturdy as it was when it was first cast! OC was so professional and easy to work with.

photo%20copy%202.jpg

photo%20copy%205.jpg

I can't believe what kinds of things can happen when you go in for a simple repair on a ring!

mrsjacob

Shiny_Rock
I am SO glad you posted this. I have the same James Meyer setting, and I considered having it worked on, but I'm definitely not going to after this! lol I'll just leave it the way it is!

I'm so sorry that happened, but at least the end result was great!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, your beautiful ring has been though a rough journey. I hate to hear you had so much trouble. It looks like it's finally where you like it though. Congratulations on the weight loss. That in itself is a rough journey. :wavey:

LizLemon

Rough_Rock
I sympathize with this so much. We took my original solitaire in for a simple prong adjustment two years ago, and ended up with a diamond so chipped that the jewelry store had to compensate us with an entirely new stone! I am so glad your ring finally made it out okay - it is very easily one of my favorites on PS!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry about all the issues you had (glad its all over)...its a good lesson to everyone who has a designer ring.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness me, what a shamozzle! I'm so glad it all worked out in the end, what a rough time you and your beautiful ring have had!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results