shape
carat
color
clarity

My ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

foxglove

Rough_Rock
Hello! This is my first post - however, I''ve been addicted to this site since I got engaged almost 2 months ago. All I can say is wow - what wealth of information and awesome bunch of people! And I can''t believe that I''ve found a forum that would render it socially acceptable to "show off" my ring!
1.gif

Now I have to admit that I wish I had found this site earlier. You see, I''ve been "against" diamonds, so to speak, since I learned the geology and about De Beers in school. And so I knew that I wanted a corundum as opposed to a diamond for my e-ring. And I''ve been quite opinionated about appreciating gem stones for their geological improbability as opposed to the marketing hype of De Beers and the diamond cartel, blah blah blah.
1.gif

And then I got my e-ring.. and yes I *love* it. But looking at the 2 sparklies on the side.. I knew that I couldn''t stay on the anti-De Beers high horse for too long.. Oh so conflicted!

But after reading so many posts here, I realized that I can appreciate diamonds for the "technical precision" (term I am stealing from one of Richard Sherwood''s old posts) of a lovely cut. Hmmm.. so maybe I''d also like diamond jewelery after all... :razz: (Oh no!!)

Anyways.. enough late night blabbing from me. I hope the picture of my ring attaches properly.
1.gif

foxglove

ringsmall.JPG

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, another one sucked into the vortex.
eek.gif
9.gif

Beautiful ring. But ofcourse you knew that already.
Congrats. Lovely

foxglove

Rough_Rock
Here's another shot. Taking these pictures was quite a ridiculous process. I don't know how some of you are able to take such beautiful pics!
The centre stone is 0.87 ct
The diamonds are:
0.15, F/G, VS2
Ring size: 3.5 (Hand shot to follow.. yup, small hands)
Plat

foxglove

ringsparkle.JPG

foxglove

Rough_Rock
I wonder if there is a way of posting multiple pics at once. I am feeling kinda silly replying to myself..
1.gif

foxglove

handring1.JPG

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty!
1.gif
Hand pics are a challenge if someone else is not taking the pics for you!

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, your ring is divine! I adore sapphires, they are my favorite gemstone- your ring is stunning. Don't worry about replying to yourself, and the more pics the better!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Believe me, you are not replying to yourself. We're all out here for ya.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Love it love it love it. It looks perfect on your hand! Now your other hand just needs some diamonds to keep that ring company!!!
2.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
You're bad Q. Just rotten to the core!
9.gif
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome
1.gif
So blue! Where is the sapphire from? It has such a nice cut and color.

Of course, the size is perfect on your hand as is on my own 3.5 finger.

Good for you
5.gif

foxglove

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys!

And you're right about being "sucked into the vortex", sevens one! As if I don't already spend enough time merely lurking in this forum.. must resist participating..

foxglove

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I think it may be safe to say that it's too late.
errrr.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Mmmmm, Foxglove, I just LOVE that! Such a blazing blue! So elegant and clean! Heavenly.

(You know what they say about small hands, don't you? Small hands...small gloves.)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful blue colour. Welcome to the forum, foxglove. Do not feel bad about replying to yourself. We love pictures of rings and all sorts of jewelery here so it's better to have more pictures.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
love.gif
wow
love.gif

i love that blue! i also love the proportion and height set of your stones! i love your ring! I've been wavering netween a pave solitaire design and a three stone design and your ring has definitely tipped the scale way back to three stone.

so so pretty. let me drool for a little while longer...
3.gif

ok out of my system
3.gif
(or maybe not
naughty.gif
)

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I luv that ring foxglove! That's some mesmerizing sapphire - i love proportion of the sapphire to the diamonds
appl.gif
very beautiful!

lsmathis1

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty!!

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful!!!
love.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
what a beautiful ring. Do you have any more pics, and where did you get the stone?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is beautiful!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW, the blue saphire in your ring is gorgeous. . .

Like everyone else, I too want to know where you purchased this stone from!

Michelle

BTO

Rough_Rock
love.gif
Beautiful Ring!
love.gif

Congratulations!

foxglove

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the compliments! You guys sure make a gal appreciate her ring even more (if that's possible).
1.gif

In terms of where the sapphire came from -

We're in Toronto, Canada. My fiance bought it at Birks. In truth, I have some mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I'm sure the mark-up is just ridiculous.. on the other hand, I really don't know where my fiance could have gone to comfortably select a loose stone on his own without getting swindled. (I didn't know about PS back then!)

I didn't want to be involved in the e-ring selection process.. but I read a lot about sapphires and rubies on Richard Hughes' ("Richer Hues"
1.gif
) site (http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/home.htm).. I did try to subtly (or not) warn my then-BF about surface diffusion treatments and just generally talk about heat treated vs. not, colour, hues, origins of stones, etc. But I wasn't sure how much of that sunk in.
1.gif
And we never went shopping together.

And then, for fun, a friend and I visited various B&M stores to look at sapphires/rubies, on different occasions. And this is when I realized that there was NOT a heck of a lot of knowledge on coloured gems in these stores. And apparently, unless you are looking at a huge stone... there was no information on treatment nor origin. And some stores just seemed a little.. well, shady. Or at least, made me feel uncomfortable. It was quite disappointing. And a little scary too.

So in this regard - I am glad that he went to the Birks route.. because presumably, we should be able to trust their product. And they do have some beautiful coloured gem pieces. I once even saw a nice padparacha ring .. Although due to the size of my stone, they don't seem to have the origin of the stone on file. And while they claim it to be natural.. I will assume that it was heat treated.

Apparently, my fiance did ask all the questions about treatment and origin, etc. (So maybe some of my blabbing did sink in..), and refused to deal with sales persons on the floor. Birks actually let him select the stones from what they had to offer (they shipped in many sapphire rings from their various locations for him to pick).. he then picked the stones and had them make it into this style. They had a ring in this style, but the original designer apparently refused to make another one with the different stones (??!!)... so Birks custom made it, and from what he has told me, the customer service was good, even though he had to make many trips over.

Now I don't know if what he did was sound practice.. but it amuses me to no end to think that he chose the stone based on what he thought was beautiful.
1.gif

foxglove

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations.
appl.gif
Your ring is gorgeous--another stunning sapphire.
1.gif
And this is a classic, elegant style. perfect!
love.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OH! GORGEOUS!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Next to diamonds (of course!
2.gif
), sapphires are my FAVORITE! Mmmmmm, just beautiful! Enjoy!

Lynn

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is GORGEOUS! I LOVE LOVE LOVE sapphires, and yours looks phenomenal! Congrats on your engagement and welcome to the PS community!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results