shape
carat
color
clarity

My ring, is it just me or should I be concerned?

zeronine3

Rough_Rock
Greetings, I recently purchased a ring from whiteflash.com and although I love it, there's just one little thing that's been kind of bugging me. The ring is a 18K six prong white gold knife edge solitaire with a .506ct F VS2 ACA round brilliant diamond. The thing that's bothering me about it is that the setting looks to be a bit off, by just the smallest amount. I'm not sure if it's just me over speculating, but I'd really like some opinions on it. I just received the ring from whiteflash on september 22, so I'm still within the 30 day period, and debating if I should send it back to have the problem corrected, or to just keep it. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Here is a photo of what I am talking about. As you can see, there is a slightly larger gap on the right then on the left of the setting.
IMG_7368.jpg

And just for fun, here are photos of the ring that I received from whiteflash:
6-Prong-Knife-Edge-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-by-Whiteflash-30376_b.jpg
6-Prong-Knife-Edge-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-by-Whiteflash-30376_f.jpg
6-Prong-Knife-Edge-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-by-Whiteflash-30376_g.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm finding it sort of hard to tell. I do think that I see that the inverted V prong is a bit scrunched on the right hand side? It's always so hard for me to judge from pictures. Have you had anyone else look IRL? What do they think?

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
I can see what you are talking about. Let WF know about your problem and see if they are willing to pay the shipping back and to you again. You should change it if you are not 100% okay with it. I can see the flaw and if it does affect you, you have to make the neccessary adjustment. :p

kathsmith81

Rough_Rock
hmm,i agree with u.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it might be just the angle of the picture? i can't really see it...

MarieT

Rough_Rock
I'm no expert but I can see it and I also think the metal could be smoother where the setting meets the band. I think if it bothers you, you should get it fixed or you will never be completely happy with it.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I noticed after staring for a bit is that the right side of the shank of the ring goes up just a touch higher than the left - but I had to scrutinize the ring to see it, and the pic is really blown up - so I'm wondering if it's that noticable IRL?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don't see it. I don't know if any handmade item can take that level of magnification and be perfect. Do you see this issue in real life or only on a very magnified photo?

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
i can see it. i see the "groove" on the left is wider than the right. also the "knife edge", the tippy top of the right side is higher than the left. i can also see that there is an air space on the left side of the pavilion of the diamond and no air space on the right.

i also think that the setting is a little too clunky for the diamond. i think the ring would look much better if the head and prongs are more delicate (please don't take offense to this as it is just a personal opinion!) ...

i would send it back to either get the above problems fixed or have WF custom make you a new setting with a more delicate head that is tailor fit to your stone.

here are a few that i like :

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/contemporary-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-1416.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/felicity-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1613.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/charis-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1606.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/etoile-du-couer-solitaire-engagement-ring-1563.htm

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1317187255|3027624 said:
The only thing I noticed after staring for a bit is that the right side of the shank of the ring goes up just a touch higher than the left - but I had to scrutinize the ring to see it, and the pic is really blown up - so I'm wondering if it's that noticable IRL?

I saw that too, but not sure if the ring is at an angle?

Best thing to do is to send back for WF to examine.

danyhutch

Rough_Rock
Sent it back!!! It bothers you!!! And i see what you are talking about!! It would bother me too!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
To me it looks like there is just a tad extra rhodium in the left side between the shank and the head.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone is not set straight and or the head is crooked in the ring. Send back and get it corrected. The fact that they let that leave and felt it was acceptable speaks volumes to me about their quality control, and that nothing has changed in the 6 years since I had the misfortune of learning of them.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Email them the picture and express your concern.

zeronine3

Rough_Rock
Okay, so I just had a live chat on the whiteflash website with one of their representatives. Should be getting an email from them shortly. But to answer some questions, yes. I can see with my naked eye that there is a little gap on one side of the setting. It's hardly noticeable, and probably would go unnoticed if you were showing it off to unknowing folks, but knowing that my gf will be wearing it and constantly checking it out, I'm sure she would notice it too, sooner or later. Under a loupe, it's clearly noticeable.

To my eyes, the diamond does look like it's sitting flat, but it does also look like the prong on the right side is slightly scrunched in, compared to the left side, which has a more rounded out look to it. This may be what is causing what someone mentioned as, airspace on the left, but no airspace on the right, beneath the diamond. It makes the setting appear as though it's slightly shifted to the left, instead of being evenly in the center.

I was initially wondering if these types of slight deviance's could even really be corrected, since they are so minute. But for the amount of money being invested, I think it's worth a try get as perfect as possible. So far whiteflash has been great to work with though, hopefully everything will be worked out without a problem.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would make them redo the head honestly. It's your call but I would not be able to deal with it. It looks like the head is not straight in the ring OR the prongs on the left side are shorter and the seats are lower. It's not straight in the head.

emeraldcrazed

Shiny_Rock
I would have a whole new setting made. You don't have to get used to something that should be perfect. Send it back or it will always bother you. Keep us posted. Good luck!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It looks slightly crooked.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
emeraldcrazed|1317255575|3028320 said:
You don't have to get used to something that should be perfect. Send it back or it will always bother you.
THIS is the best advice ever. THIS.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
frankiextah|1317188248|3027633 said:
i can see it. i see the "groove" on the left is wider than the right. also the "knife edge", the tippy top of the right side is higher than the left. i can also see that there is an air space on the left side of the pavilion of the diamond and no air space on the right.

i also think that the setting is a little too clunky for the diamond. i think the ring would look much better if the head and prongs are more delicate (please don't take offense to this as it is just a personal opinion!) ...

i would send it back to either get the above problems fixed or have WF custom make you a new setting with a more delicate head that is tailor fit to your stone.

here are a few that i like :

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/contemporary-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-1416.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/felicity-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1613.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/charis-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1606.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/etoile-du-couer-solitaire-engagement-ring-1563.htm

Oh, I LOVE the Felicity! Great suggestions!

zeronine3

Rough_Rock
I will be getting a shipping label emailed to me on Monday, from whiteflash. Then I'll ship it back on Tuesday. But yeah, I won't be keeping the ring if they can't fix it.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm happy that your getting it fixed and that they are working with you. I think that the setting is beautiful so I dont think that you should consider other the other setting options that are being offered. You've obviously spent a lot of time carefully chosing your ring and have a good eye for craftmanship, so unless WF is unable to repair or replace the head to your satisfaction, I think you have a winner! :appl: Congratulations!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkly Blonde|1317218603|3027758 said:
To me it looks like there is just a tad extra rhodium in the left side between the shank and the head.

Exactly. I think the size of the space is the same, it's just the fill-in portion of metal is a little lower on the right than on the left. Any piece of jewelry that's handmade is going to have *something* some little tiny thing that's not absolutely dead-on perfect to it, but that's the joy of handmade! A human being set that head into that shank. I have a similar thing on my custom WG wedding set and it doesn't bother me one bit.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't read the replies so forgive me if I am repeating something that somebody else has also seen. I'm not sure the problem is with the sides.

Look at the centre claw. The two U shapes to either side are not equal and the centre of that prong (where the arrow is), isn't balanced. It's thicker on one side than the other. I think it that were corrected, the side issue you see may be corrected.

Hope that helps.

Ring for pricescope.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results