shape
carat
color
clarity

My review - Perry Chen at Leon Mege, found perfect RB for me

shortee78

Shiny_Rock
Hello all, I've been juggling a few jewelry projects but one of them was an engagement ring upgrade. I wanted to share my experience with Perry Chen at the diamond concierge at Leon Mege's company, from the diamond purchasing perspective only, as my diamond is not set yet. I ended up with a 1.71 round brilliant, I SI1 (but along the way, got sidetracked with an antique cushion).

I wanted to get an antique chunky cushion cut and fell in love with the AVC's at GOG (who wouldn't!!!) but the prices for the sizes I wanted were a little out of my budget. I heard about Pricescopers who used Perry to get an antique cushion, so I contacted him, not really sure what to expect.

Based on the specs and competitive price, I purchased an antique cut GIA cushion from him, but once I saw it in person, the shape just "wasn't for me". Nothing wrong with the stone at all - I just didn't fall in love with it. He was gracious about the return procedure and there was no hassle at all. I actually wanted to just forget about the entire diamond purchase and get a refund, but I started to browse Pricescope again (BAD ME!) so before they even got my returned diamond, I already emailed him about being able to get "virtual inventory" stones at competitive prices. Here is what I like about him:

1) He is in NY so he can see MANY of the virtual stones in real life with his own eagle eyes.
2) He can filter out the non-eye-clean ones in person, rather than having to call the stone in
3) He offers a lifetime trade-in policy for stones sourced from the "virtual inventory". I think most PS vendors only offer the trade in policy for inventory stones. The flip side is that you have to spend 50% more for your upgrade.
4) He sent me a video of the diamond, GIA cert, and HCA without me asking for them. I did ask for macro shots, which he sent the eve of Thanksgiving, way after work hours). I didn't get ASETs and IdealScope images, but I trusted his eyes.
5) Email/phone correspondence is great
6) Pricing is very competitive - a huge factor

I got the stone yesterday and I am soooooo in love. I was so hesitant about a 59% table and 59.8% depth, but it totally totally WORKS for my diamond. It is honestly the "prettiest" diamond I've seen, and even though it's a modern round brilliant, it has that feminine "charming" look to it. It totally suits my personality.

So I wanted to post my review, since I didn't see that many reviews on their diamond concierge service, at least not in recent times. Enjoy! Sorry for how long it is. Please feel free to ask any questions :)

shortee78

Shiny_Rock
Re: My review - Perry Chen at Leon Mege, found perfect RB fo

Garry H (Cut Nut)|1322688076|3071779 said:
Hi Shortee,
what are the proportions?
Sure!
It's

Table: 59%
Depth: 59.8%
Crown: 34.0
Pavilion: 40.6
And the other angles are 50% and 80% (forgot what they stand for). The girdle is medium (3%)

It scored a 1.0 on the HCA. :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

shortee78|1322688687|3071787 said:
Hi Shortee,
Sure!
It's

And the other angles are 50% and 80% (forgot what they stand for). The girdle is medium (3%)

Lovely. On the shallow edge of AGS ideal, GIA Excellent and in my HCA for Older people rings and everyones favourite pendants and earrings. HCA 1 and 4 Excelents. Spread around 2% better than Tolkowsky.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor

LJL

Brilliant_Rock

Hey Shortee,
Would you be willing to share the price with us? I know you said "competitive" but is that competitive in general or for Leon?

Also, congrats on finding the perfect stone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

shortee...yay!!! Now we HAVE to see that video! Where is it? (I need to see if this "older person" needs to change stone proportions!) Oh, and post the picture, too!

shortee78

Shiny_Rock

LJL|1322713288|3072020 said:
Hey Shortee,
Would you be willing to share the price with us? I know you said "competitive" but is that competitive in general or for Leon?

Also, congrats on finding the perfect stone!
I got a great price! It was in the $13000's. It's competitive in general, cuz I am very prudent (ahem, cheap) and I always look for good quality AND good value (I'm the type to buy luxury goods at outlets or on Gilt Group). Please don't hesitate to contact him even if you are a casual shopper, cuz he has time for you, and you may be pleasantly surprised at how competitive his prices are, as well as how considerate he is in his email responses. I am the type to "research til I die of analysis paralysis", and I found his prices to be very reasonable. I hope this helps.

shortee78

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1322713460|3072021 said:
shortee...yay!!! Now we HAVE to see that video! Where is it? (I need to see if this "older person" needs to change stone proportions!) Oh, and post the picture, too!
I know, yay, I'm so excited! :appl: I'll post links to the video and upload pics tomorrow at work, promise! Although I have to give the honest review that the videos don't help me all that much because the lighting and background do not help me visualize how the diamond would appear in real life, although they do a good job at giving the 360 degree view. The photo was MUCH better at showing the pattern from the top view.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, great! I will watch for that tomorrow. I hear ya on the "analysis paralysis"!!!

shortee78

Shiny_Rock

Garry H (Cut Nut)|1322711284|3072011 said:
Hi Shortee,
Sure!
It's

Lovely. On the shallow edge of AGS ideal, GIA Excellent and in my HCA for Older people rings and everyones favourite pendants and earrings. HCA 1 and 4 Excelents. Spread around 2% better than Tolkowsky.
I'm in my 30's, but, if this is perfect for "older people rings", I'm loving it! Give me some more, please! I also should admit I have a strong affinity towards antique things in general, so maybe that's why I love the diamond so much...it doesn't feel too perfect and sterile (even though it's "excellent" all around)...it has a very pretty top view pattern.

Yes, spread is great. It's not an outrageous spread for the carat size, but just a slight "bump" to make it face up larger :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What is the diameter?

shortee78

Shiny_Rock

Here you go:

7.74-7.78-4.64 mm
It's GIa triple Ex and all that fine stuff. I'm typing on a iPad so please forgive me for not typing all the specs. I can easily do it tomorrow on a desktop computer. :)

shortee78

Shiny_Rock

Diamondseeker, here's the video and photos that Perry provided. He mentioned that he didn't use a lightbox (if that's something typical of diamond vendors)...(I cropped the images cuz they were about 4 mbs each!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AW5beYNeOY

shortee78

Shiny_Rock

Here are images I took today on my hand. I can't get a still shot for the life of me! My hand keeps shaking!

FYI, I'm told diamonds look much more "impressive" once it's mounted. I think it still looks lovely :)

Edited to crop one of the photos.

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock

shortee78|1322715134|3072033 said:
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1322711284|3072011 said:
Hi Shortee,
Sure!
It's

I'm in my 30's, but, if this is perfect for "older people rings", I'm loving it! Give me some more, please! I also should admit I have a strong affinity towards antique things in general, so maybe that's why I love the diamond so much...it doesn't feel too perfect and sterile (even though it's "excellent" all around)...it has a very pretty top view pattern.

Yes, spread is great. It's not an outrageous spread for the carat size, but just a slight "bump" to make it face up larger :)
I'm the same way! My RB e-ring is the classic ideal cut stone, but lately I've been veering toward these charming diamonds as you call it. What an apt description! Perhaps it's because I'm in my 30s as well, and suddenly "flaws" are becoming "unique quirks" in my eyes.... :lol:

And who doesn't love a large spread? =) The stone looks HUGE on your hand! Congrats!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It is gorgeous Shortee! You look like you have tiny hands, b/c that stone looks huge! How are you planning to set it?

shortee78

Shiny_Rock

Sapphirering, thanks and I love your rings too! Plural cuz I know you have many lovelies :) I feel like there is a split personality in me where sometimes I like the modern classic "Tiffany solitaire" look (clean, sleek) and sometimes I like the intricate and detailed antique stuff.

Yennyfire, I am leaning towards a very simple 6 prong solitaire for this ring, so I can pair it with different bands for different looks. But, I am also working on a RHR project with a more "antique" feel, so will most likely engage Singlestone on that project. So it's the best of both worlds... Simple and clean on one ring, but antique and girly for the other ring :) Hey, I have 2 ring fingers for a reason, right?! ;-)

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock

shortee78|1322770429|3072389 said:
Sapphirering, thanks and I love your rings too! Plural cuz I know you have many lovelies :) I feel like there is a split personality in me where sometimes I like the modern classic "Tiffany solitaire" look (clean, sleek) and sometimes I like the intricate and detailed antique stuff.

Yennyfire, I am leaning towards a very simple 6 prong solitaire for this ring, so I can pair it with different bands for different looks. But, I am also working on a RHR project with a more "antique" feel, so will most likely engage Singlestone on that project. So it's the best of both worlds... Simple and clean on one ring, but antique and girly for the other ring :) Hey, I have 2 ring fingers for a reason, right?! ;-)
shortee, I'm also working on a RHR project with antique feel like you said. I totally agree with a split personality analysis. I do love my 6 prong solitaire because it goes with everything, and I don't feel like it's ever over or under-dressed, but an antique-y ring is just so lovely, too. Did you post a thread on your RHR project?

shortee78

Shiny_Rock

sapphirering|1322770756|3072394 said:
shortee, I'm also working on a RHR project with antique feel like you said. I totally agree with a split personality analysis. I do love my 6 prong solitaire because it goes with everything, and I don't feel like it's ever over or under-dressed, but an antique-y ring is just so lovely, too. Did you post a thread on your RHR project?
Hi! And no, I didn't post a thread because that RHR doesn't exist yet. It's still all in my head of what I want, and I need to find the stone(s) for it, and then make up my mind on the setting that I want. I'm even playing with the idea of *gasp*, yellow gold! We'll see :) But once it's complete, for sure I will post something.

I'd love to see what you are thinking about for your RHR project!

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock

shortee, my RHR is already cooking! :lol: It's a sapphire ring in a customized Beverley K setting. The due date is mid-January. I'll post photos when I get it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok girls, you can add me to the split personality list, too!!! :wavey: I am exactly the same...love the classic Tiffany knife edge setting, but I do have the Legacy band to get a little milgrain over there! I adore Beverely K, Singlestone, and Van Craeynest, and I would buy those antique style earrings that Victor Canera made (that shortstack is selling) in a second if I thought I'd ever have a place to wear them!

shortee...the diamond looks terrific, it really does! :love: :appl: I love it and think you got a great deal! The diameter is very good...my 1.63 is 7.6mm just for reference.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks great!! Nice price too.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock

Loved the video! Can't wait to see it set. Congrats! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results