shape
carat
color
clarity

My proposal idea...any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peptidbond

Rough_Rock
Good morning,

First, let me say that this is my first post here. The information I have learned from just reading as been great and I thank all of the contributors. As a side note, I am an admin for another forum site. If you ever want to know anything about a Nissan 350Z, look me up at www.350zmotoring.com. I post under the same user name as I use here.

Okay, my proposal idea will follow. First, some history so it all makes sense. Brooke and I have been dating for about 5 years. Conveniently, our 5-year "anniversary" is on V-day this year. However, I am not going to propose then. To me, it is just not a good day. We will be alone and there really will not be much excitement. Plus, if she expects it to happen any day, it will be this one. I am looking for the unexpected.

For Brooke and I, our friends are critical. We have some of the closest friends you could imagine. Even though they span the country and the world, we regularly see them all. In fact, two mutual friends were responsible for setting us up. I remember the night very clearly. We ended up at this little irish pub in Columbus, Ohio (a former home) and hit it off immediately (remember this fact). I used to live in Chicago when I was in college and have an extremely close group of friends up there too. We still see them twice a year, with one occassion always falling on St. Patrick''s day (remember this day for a moment). A few months after I met Brooke, I took her to Chicago for a weekender. I told her it was so she could see my old stomping grounds. In reality, it was so my friends could meet her and give me their insight. Of course, they loved her immediately. She is now as close to them as I am. Ever since, we have been returning to Chicago for St. Pat''s and for another random weekender during the year.

So, the proposal idea. We are, of course, going Chicago for St. Pat''s this year. Normally on the Saturday celebration, we go to the downtown parade and then leave and head to Corchorran''s bar on Wells near North Ave. I will pressure for the same this year. We will then sit at Corchorran''s for the next 8 hours with 10 friends and get a little...um...loose. While we are sitting there, with most of our friends, I will at some point (probably following a few pints of liquid courage) interrupt the conversation. Then comes a short speech (which I have not even started) and then the ring.

To me, this all makes sense. Our friends will be there. We will get engaged at a location similar to the one we met in. We are both heavily Scots-irish. It will be about 5 years since we met. Brooke and I are both casual people who love the fancy life. However, the best days for us are simply the ones with friends.

I know this is not your typical proposal idea, but it is the presense of the friends that is critical. I would fly them all to Cleveland (our current home) for a fancy, suprise shin-dig, but I will not have the money after buying the engagement ring (buying a very rare and EXPENSIVE diamond).

Do you think she will be touched by all of this? I know, it is just the moment that matters. However, years later, I want her to be able to think back about this day and clearly see the symbolism.

By the way, anyone who is in Chicago is welcome to come by the bar. We normally get there around 1pm on Saturday (March 19th this year) and stay until 10pm or later. I figure the ring will come out sometime around 2-3pm.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a great idea... just make sure that you''re not too... loose. You don''t want her to tell an story like, ''it was sweet, but he was so drunk that he couldn''t get the words out and dropped the ring...''

Good luck!

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there!! I Think it is a WONDERFUL idea, and I''m so honored you''ll be doing it in my hometown of Chicago!!! I think that your proposal will reflect your current life together and your interests. I normally don''t agree with proposals that include friends, but I must admit that I get the feeling that your idea is the exception... you both sound so close to your pals, and that''s great! I think she''s going to be thrilled!!!

March 19th at 2pm-ish, huh? Hmmm, maybe I will happen to pass by there.....
36.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Sounds great and very sentimental. I''d do it earlier at the bar rather than later, plus that way you can drink more to celebrate the engagement.

peptidbond

Rough_Rock

I promise to do it early, before the libations kick in. That was one thing I was worried about but I decided I will just do it early. Plus, that will make the rest of the day a celebration.

As for having friends there, I considered doing it without them. However, I could just not accept that idea. Plus, these people have been harping on us for the past couple years to get married. Kimmy (my old roommate and wife to my best friend) in particular won''t let the subject go. She loves Brooke as much as I do. So, I want to surprise her too.

IrishEyes, come on by the bar. I am sure you know where it is. It is right across the street from Second City on Wells. In truth, it is a great place to celebrate our heritage anyhow. Everyone who works there is literally an Irish immigrant. Plus the service is great too and the pipers and dancers come by every couple hours.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
that sounds like a really great idea! and being on PS, you know we would all LOVE to see your "rare and expensive" diamond...
36.gif

peptidbond

Rough_Rock
I will be sure to take some pictures. By rare I mean great quality and a fantasic cut (cut is my highest priority). As for expensive, it will certainly be very expensive for me, but worth it all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results