shape
carat
color
clarity

my princess cut diamond

yzs

Rough_Rock
im a newbie and I'm so glad i found this site. i scrolled thru numerous images in search of the diamond size, setting, shank, etc. thank you all for your great input and pictures. I'm a visual girl and getting a hand perspective was really helpful.
well, here we are. i had this engagement ring since i got married in 2000. I'm so over yellow gold! i needed a change. i wanted to reset my princess cut in a plain setting with trillions on the sides but after contacting my family jeweler and seeing them in person i realized that many of you were right. there's something off with with trillions. they were kinda getting lost next to my diamond. one of them must've been an excellent grade because it has amazing sparkle and stood its own. after running the numbers the new upgrade would've been costing me close to $2000 for the trillions totaling .65 cts and white gold setting. i decided to trust my jeweler who took my ring to manhattan, his supplier, where my stone got rave reviews and i was told that setting it in plain white gold tiffany setting would be perfect for my stone, and of course budget. so my ring is in the process of being remade. will definitely post updated pictures of the new setting. just a side note, i luv bling! i have updated my e-ring several times over the course of our engagement, this will be my fourth upgrade of the ring, my 3rd setting and i upgraded my diamond 3 times.
current ring stats:
princess cut center stone 2.44 cts H color SI1 EGL certified
7.61x7.59x5.35
depth 70.40%
table 78%
crown 5.40%
pavilion 62.10%
the setting is 14K yellow gold, H VS, 5 diamonds each side
image_439.jpg
image_438.jpg
image_437.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love yellow gold! But I can understand wanting a change. Your stone is beautiful! Can't wait to see the end result

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Your diamond is beautiful and I look forward to seeing it in the new setting. I too have upgraded and reset over the years and changed from yellow gold to white gold and now platinum. Sometimes you just need a change!

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
Looks great on you!

yzs

Rough_Rock
Thank u so much!i can't wait for the reset. It will take a couple of weeks. And I will definitely post new pics. I'm going bare minimum with just prongs on the corners. My fear is this will expose the diamond more and make it more susceptible to cracks. Yikes

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to seeing your reset in a couple of weeks! :appl: Thanks for sharing! :wavey:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovely! can't wait to see the reset!

HockeyChick

Rough_Rock
I just adore trillions but personally didn't love them next to a princess either. I think this was the last princess I tried on when I was still trying to decide what shape I wanted.

2015-11-13_13.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're getting tired of yellow gold and I'm getting tired of white gold/platinum! I was thinking about going back to yellow gold
but at last minute decided to stick with white. I think I'm going to add in maybe a yellow gold wedding band to sort of mix up
colors a little and maybe add something with a little texture.

Post your ring when you get it back...hope it turns out to be everything you want!

yzs

Rough_Rock
i just got my reset today and I'm so psyched! i can't believe how beautiful my diamond looks! the plain tiffany setting is just perfect just what my diamond needed to revive it! i luv how it looks on my finger. the reset is white gold. i was gonna go platinum but my jeweler suggested white gold cause the gold will have sway so if the posts are hit it won't loosen the diamond like platinum will.
my wedding band is in the first pic is actually platinum with 18K yellow gold. i designed it to match my original ring. i also had it repolished to match my new super shiny setting. my eternity 10th anniversary band is 14K white gold.
sorry for the pics they are cell phone daylight pics and i just couldn't resist taking so many.

image_471.jpg image_472.jpg image_473.jpg image_474.jpg image_475.jpg image_476.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy smokes! It looks soo huge! Great stone and the reset is fantastic. :love: :love:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely reset. It really suits your stone. :clap: :clap: :clap:

yzs

Rough_Rock
Thank u ladies. I'm super excited!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE your reset! So clean - makes the diamond the star!
(Can't go wrong with gold, but I'm not sure I get what you're saying about platinum.)

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
I love solitaires! I think they allow the beauty of a diamond to be the focus. Your princess cut looks incredible in its new setting!

My original setting was white gold and my new one is yellow gold. It's nice to have a change every once in a while ;-)

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
I think they may mean that platinum is rigid no give so I guess when pushing the prongs to grasp the diamond the gold would wrap closer.

However wouldn't the opposite be true if platinum prongs are stronger they would hold the diamond stronger when knocked.

mmm we need a metalsmith

By the way your diamond looks stunningly larger has a solitaire :love: :love: :love:

yzs

Rough_Rock
Thank u so much. I don't know why I didn't set it in a solitaire to begin with.
What my jeweler said was that because the platinum is a harder metal when the prongs are hit it actually loosens the stone because it a more rigit metal. That's what suggested. He said he has so many rings that he fixes on regular basis from the platinum loosening the stone vs white gold. I trust him. He's been doing this for over 40 yrs and it's a family business over 70. I'm just passing the info. I thought it was an oxymoron as well considering platinum is so strong. Go figure.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooo pretty!! It looks stunning as a solitaire as well as matched with your beautiful band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results