shape
carat
color
clarity

My platinum ring is scratched...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hidamari

Rough_Rock
I got my engagement ring in March, but there are many
tiny scratches on it already! Is platinum easier to get scratches
than gold??

Is there a way to get rid of them besides bringing it to
a jeweler and polish it?

Thanks!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 6/17/2003 10:46:46 PM hidamari wrote:

I got my engagement ring in March, but there are many
tiny scratches on it already! Is platinum easier to get scratches
than gold??

Is there a way to get rid of them besides bringing it to
a jeweler and polish it?

Thanks!----------------

Hidamari-

My fiancee has a platinum ring also. Vatche x-prong comfort fit in platinum. She got her ring in December. She works in the airline industry and wears it to work. There are several things which can occur with all metals. Over time metals will scratch. There are the minor surface scratches. You know the light ones you can see which aren't that deep and can be buffed out. Then there are the dings which can occur from a slight strike on a hard counter top or brushing up against something or whatever...Certain wear on metal is too be expected. The minor scratches can be buffed out, but the little dings will be there forever. WHen you get your ring and prongs checked periodically the jewler usually will buff and polish the metal for you upon request and you will be really surprised at the way your ring will turn out. Regina received her ring today because she had the platinum pulled back into shape because the bottom started to bow because of everyday wear and the job she performs.

Good advice is to remember that jewlery which is worn everday will show wear. Wedding and engagement rings are typically worn everyday and will show the most wear. Look at it as adding a little character. Nothing stays perfect over time it just boils down to what kind of care would you like to take when wearing your jewelry. I am not comfortable taking my wedding ring off at times, but take caution when excercising or working. Some people wear it around a chain on their neck while working if their job is labor intensive and they work with their hands alot.

To answer your other question platinum does scratch easier, and long term care of the metal involves repolishing periodically.

There are some excellent pro's and cons about platinum on the link Ill attach for you to read that might answer some of your other inquiries concerning platinum and other metals like white & yellow gold..Click below......

www.goodoldgold.com/platinum_vs_white_gold.htm

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results