Trade
S'more

IMG_4782.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

IMG_7123.JPG

IMG_7127.JPG

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! Beautiful sapphire! Great cutting of course. Digging that lime too..

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH it is STUNNING Athenaworth. I can see why you have more projects planned with JW. Hurry and get that thing set girl! :appl:

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Athena ~

Beautiful sapphire! :love: It sure sparkles too.

Do you just love it?

Tell us more about future JW projects. :cheeky:

~ faegrace

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm daydreaming about future projects now. This one pretty much zeroed out my CS account.

Here are a few more that I took inside. It gets pretty dark inside, but it has some great blue scintillation.

IMG_7128.JPG

IMG_7133.JPG

IMG_7138.JPG

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Athena ~

Are you okay with how dark it is indoors? You mentioned it, so I'm just checking.

~ fae

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
It does seem a bit dark to me from the photos, but the thing about sapphires is that not everyone likes the same thing. You have it in hand, so you are going to be the best judge. Do you love it? Do you love the way it performs in all lights? Do you think the trade off in price/color/tone is a good one? Does it make you happy, happy happy just to look at? Ultimately, that's the test.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aoife|1307405465|2939387 said:
It does seem a bit dark to me from the photos, but the thing about sapphires is that not everyone likes the same thing. You have it in hand, so you are going to be the best judge. Do you love it? Do you love the way it performs in all lights? Do you think the trade off in price/color/tone is a good one? Does it make you happy, happy happy just to look at? Ultimately, that's the test.
Problem is, I'm sure if what I'm seeing is standard faire and I'm not sure if I got a good price since I'm so new at all of this. I had heard that all sapphire go darker indoor, but this goes really dark. I want to love it because it's just so awesome in the sun, but I don't know for sure.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the amount of light in the room, my darker blue sapphire can go a bit dark. It typically looks better outside and in my car and in my office, however I love the color (I love the fact it can get slightly purplish too) and the price was good. It holds its color in ishtty office lighting, which I find to be imperative... :lol: I have rarely seen a blue sapphire retain the same blue color in every light.

So I think in that case its best to really evaluate it more indoors than not. Sapphires tend to look great outside unless they're just crap stones. Some sapphires are just dark and its really up to you to decide if you're ok with a darker stone. Some people love them some people can't tolerate them. If you find you're just not happy with this one then you'd probably be better off with a medium colored stone instead.

-A

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
athenaworth|1307405937|2939398 said:
Aoife|1307405465|2939387 said:
Problem is, I'm sure if what I'm seeing is standard faire and I'm not sure if I got a good price since I'm so new at all of this. I had heard that all sapphire go darker indoor, but this goes really dark. I want to love it because it's just so awesome in the sun, but I don't know for sure.

It's not uncommon for a sapphire to be darker inside, but not everyone can accept that. Here's another way to approach this: when and where are you likely to be wearing this stone? Think about that, and then evaluate the sapphire in that light.

EDTA: There is also a huge difference, in my mind, between a stone going "a bit dark," and a stone turning into a black hole. Which is this sapphire doing?

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Yay - the mint! ;))

So, ok, I love how wonderfully blue the sapphire looks when well lit, but I'm not crushing on how dark it can look. Of course, this is totally personal preference and for me personally, it's the reason I don't have any sapphires... and so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Sounds like you don't love it though... were you expecting it to be as bright all the time? You might be better off (as Arcadian said) with a more medium colored stone.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
So Hi athena: I thought I would try to put Jeff's pictures and your pictures together for easier reference....
Were your photo's all taken indoors?
Were they taken by a window or ?
Because, I think actually your pictures show the stone pretty similarly to Jeff's
You take a good picture of it !!!!

Anyway, I think the Sapphire is absolutely lovely lovely LOVELY :love: :love: :love:
I hope you love it, too :))

But I know what you mean about stones looking dark indoors, I have a sapphire...
Certainly not as fine as yours !!!!!
Mine can look awesome and beautiful in the right light,
and sometimes it looks like a little dark speck *(and incidentally, in the "right" lighting,
so do my Garnets :sun: )

IMG_4778.JPG

IMG_4754.JPG

jocelyn2.jpg

jocelyn1.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ooo~Shiney!|1307410469|2939471 said:
So Hi athena: I thought I would try to put Jeff's pictures and your pictures together for easier reference....
Were your photo's all taken indoors?
Were they taken by a window or ?
Because, I think actually your pictures show the stone pretty similarly to Jeff's
You take a good picture of it !!!!

Anyway, I think the Sapphire is absolutely lovely lovely LOVELY :love: :love: :love:
I hope you love it, too :))

But I know what you mean about stones looking dark indoors, I have a sapphire...
Certainly not as fine as yours !!!!!
Mine can look awesome and beautiful in the right light,
and sometimes it looks like a little dark speck *(and incidentally, in the "right" lighting,
so do my Garnets :sun: )
You're very sweet shiney! Thank you for doing that for me. I'm going to see how it looks in my office tomorrow since that's where I spend all of my time, and then I will make my decision.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you wanted honest opinions, when I first saw it in your other thread, I was worried it was a bit too dark, and I think it is. A good sapphire should not go so dark indoors, but I don't know what you paid for it. It may be that the quality is acceptable for the price paid.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I own a sapphire that I love because it was my e-ring stone, and it is likely not all that great quality. It goes darker inside, but still has a nice blue lustre to it, if that is the right word. It is not inky. ETA: I am not saying your stone looks inky, I can't judge from the photos, was just offering a comparison in words if it helps.

Athena, I recall once that Chrono mentioned that her test of a CS is whether she opens the package and loves it right away. If she does nto, back it goes. DS also says, "when it doubt, don't". I think maybe you are not cukoo about it and perhaps you have doubts. So my thought is, you should consider returning it. Are you able to? I assume you lose a deposit of some sort?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL|1307411245|2939477 said:
Since you wanted honest opinions, when I first saw it in your other thread, I was worried it was a bit too dark, and I think it is. A good sapphire should not go so dark indoors, but I don't know what you paid for it. It may be that the quality is acceptable for the price paid.
Ditto. I have an amazing cobalt blue sapphire...when I shine a flashlight directly into it.

I had a spinel that was similar in coloring once upon a time...amazing in the sun, in bright lights...inside it was dark dark dark. I no longer have that spinel.

I do still have the sapphire though...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the color is pretty and somewhat unusual but my sapphire from Jeff White also darkens indoors. It, really, depends on how you feel about it. I'd play with the lights in your room, perhaps you'll find something that will help.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm picking the ring up tomorrow, but thought I'd share the last pic I took of it before sending it off. Weee!

IMG_7146.jpg

sapph.JPG

sapph2.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sapphire from Jeff White does the same. Honestly, with time such strong color shift started to irritate me, although in some lights it looks stunning. Hopefully you won't get tired of yours.

T

talamasca

Really nice and I love the setting :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results