shape
carat
color
clarity

My Phoenix Pendant

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Crasu posted her ring made by My Heart Monster on Etsy and I decided to post a piece I had made by the same seller a few years ago as well (before I found Pricescope.) This pendant is one of my first custom pieces ever made. It has 4, 2mm size rubies that came from a piece of jewelry that was my grandmother's and a 5mm stone that I'd had for years (I think it's either a tourmaline or garnet. It originally came from a sterling silver ring that my mom bought me at a gem show we went to when I was a kid.)

My original idea was to have the pendant made of 3 metals-sterling silver, brass, and copper. 3 is a number a love, and I also liked the idea of a multicolored piece. Chris told me that the pendant would be too heavy though, so we changed it down to just 2, copper and sterling silver. Why copper you ask? Because at the time I was enamored with the colors heated copper produced (a rainbow of purple, green, blue, etc.) I wanted the phoenix pendant to look colorful and firey. One of the reasons that I had the pendant made was because I was going through a tough time in life and liked the idea of the phoenix representing hope and rebirth, rising out of the ashes of the old.

It was a pleasure working with Chris (Myheartmonster.) I came up with the original design with the largest stone being held skyward, one ruby at the heart of the bird, and originally wanted the other 3 rubies on the bottom 3 tail feathers, but they wouldn't fit, so one went on the tail, and the two others on the wings. She refined my original design for me and I loved the way it turned out. I'll post pics of my original sketch and MS Paint version so you can see how the designing progressed. What's neat is that from my one sketch, Chris produced 16 versions for me to choose from and I picked 5, 3, 2 which she kept refining until we came down to the single one.

Going to start attaching pics below!

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Original sketch (I was going to put briolette beads on the bottom but later changed my mind), MS Paint rendering (with 3 metal colors), and concept sketches.

phoenix_pendant_conceptsketches.jpg

phoenix_pendantMSpaint.jpg

phoenix_pendant_originalsketch.jpg

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
More refined sketches by Chris.

I chose from the two, then she gave me 5 to choose from for the wing to tail ratio and the last one with the three was where I wanted the center ruby placed.

phoenix_pendant_conceptsketches2.jpg

phoenix_pendant_conceptsketches3.jpg

phoenix_pendant_conceptsketches5.jpg

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Pics of the finished product! :sun:

phoenix_pendant6.jpg

phoenix_pendant5.jpg

phoenix_pendant4.jpg

phoenix_pendant3.jpg

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Lastly, my pics (I made the chain it's on!)

phoenix_pendant1.jpg

phoenix_pendant2.jpg

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Forgot to mention, here's a link to the listing:
http://www.etsy.com/transaction/14916402

There was also a bit of gold added for the beak and the bezel on the top. I came up with the idea of bead-setting the ruby in the center (to make it look more like the heart of the phoenix.) I love the detail on the wings and tail. Her price was very reasonable for this project too! (Under $100 at the time.)

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
:love: It's really lovely! The concept was beautifully executed. I love the use of copper! Thanks for sharing the process

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I think I might've gotten the order wrong for the narrowing-down-the-design part. I think the one with 5 concepts was the second to the last one. The very last concept pic was when she asked me where I wanted the rubies placed.

Edited to add: Fixed it!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Xiriah, that is a wonderful pendant! Neat to see the design progression pics too, thank you for sharing them.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, it turned out absolutely spectacular! And I love the chain you made, it suits the pendant to a tee! The whole piece is magnificent, great job! :appl: :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What an unusual & pretty piece, Xiriah! I absolutely love the symbolism & relation to your life: I hope it always means "climbing up" to you. Neat to see the design progression & the setting of the center ruby is perfect! Thanks for posting!

--- Laurie

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool piece Xiriah! I love the way the mixed metals were used. Well done.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely piece and it's beautifully made. Would love to see a neck shot, if you don't mind. Enjoy your gorgeous pendant.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys! :)) DiaDiva-I'll try to get a neck shot sometime this week! For reference, the pendant measures 1.75" long (from the top of the bale) to 1" wide (about 45x25mm.)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice workmanship. It kind of reminds me of a modern take on an Ancient Egyptian necklace. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one super cool pendant; awesome design and execution!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
What a fascinating project! I love the mythology around the Phoenix, and your pendant captures that beautifully. Thanks for posting the process drawings, too.

stci

Ideal_Rock
It turn out wonderful! Congrats and thank you to share this beauty! :appl:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is modern, inventive and beautiful. I love the idea of using combination of several metals to create the "unique" look. I also like the idea of a phoenix, burn and rebirth, hope in the most difficult moment. Great pendant, Xiriah!

Zzz

Rough_Rock
Trade
amazing pendant!
thanks for sharing the sketches too

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
well done!

MoZo

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
It's really striking - I love it! Are you at all worried about the copper oxidizing over time?

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
jstarfireb|1299566525|2867206 said:
It's really striking - I love it! Are you at all worried about the copper oxidizing over time?

I forgot to mention about that-originally, I was wanting to have the copper heated so it would turn 'rainbow' colors, but because it was bonded to the sterling silver (or maybe because it was such a small piece) it didn't turn out as well. So Chris polished it for me and told me that it would oxidize over time and turn different colors... I kinda prefer it polished though. It turns a deep orange-almost brown when I haven't polished it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results