shape
carat
color
clarity

My philosophy, is it stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Michel

Rough_Rock
Ok guys, my fiancee and I have been looking at stones, and she really loves the slightly smaller ones, which suit her small fingers. So we are looking in the range of 0.5-0.6 carat.

Now, I am pleased by this, because I do also love the smaller ones; I think they give off an intensity of light that larger ones do not and they look beautifully elegant.

This also means I can afford more with my budget, as I was originally anticipating going closer to the 1 carat mark.

I think there is something perhaps profound by getting an IF diamond; I love the idea that, in todays day and age and obsession over cut, that one could get a naturally perfect diamond (still with a good cut), rather than being so clinical about it all.

We are both colour sensitive; I personally can tell the difference easily between a H and an F, for example. But is it worth extending the above philosophy to go for a D as well as an IF?

Anyone wish to call this idea absurd? I would like to hear it, if so, because if I drop the requirement its going to make the search a whole lot easier! :)

Thanks everyone, look forward to your thoughts.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think it's absurd at all. You want a smaller diamond and you want it to be the best you can get. If you use the Pricescope your diamond function, I'm sure you can find plenty that fall into your parameters.

I looked on Whiteflash and didn't see a D or IF so it may be tough to find an IF....

Good Luck!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you understand (which you seem to) that IF isn''t necessary, but for personal reasons you want one, I wouldn''t call that absurd. It''s your money, your decision. Same with the D vs. F, although it''s said people won''t see the difference between the two.

It''s really up to you.
28.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Hi Michel!
35.gif

Not absurd at all! If you like the look of D and would prefer, for whatever reason, to have an IF stone and have the budget for it ... Go for it!

As long as you are focused on making the cut of the stone the most important, you''re on the right track, everything else will fall into place, as per your personal preferences after that.

Good luck on your search!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Not that wacky.

Not easy to find, as you say.

Here''s one.

One could say...how is it different than deciding to shop for a diamond at all, vs a cz. There''s some basis for the comparison.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
No, certainly not stupid! I doubt anyone here would ever call anyone''s personal philosophy "stupid". It just sounds like you are looking for a beautiful, *perfect* little rock, and I wish you the best of success.

The only thing I thought I oughtta mention is... just because a diamond is graded IF doesn''t mean there won''t be inclusions. It would just take a very high magnification to see them. I thought that was a rather important piece of information when I first read it here... honestly, I had never thought of that before.

I guess that''s why most of us around here are happy with eye-clean, or 10x loupe-clean.

Just my humble 2 cents.

JandJ

Rough_Rock
my fiance''s grandfather bought his grandmother her diamond for the exact same reason! he said that he wanted to give her something completely flawless because that''s how he sees her. i thought that was so cute when i heard him say that! :)

so you''re not crazy! or stupid! or alone in your thinking!

36.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
It''s not absurd, especially since you''re going with a smaller diamond. I think a D/IF would be much easier to find in that carat range. Good luck!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love the idea!

My brother in law actually gave his wife a .75ct IF D colored round stone, and it is so lovely! He felt that this was right choice since he was bezel setting the stone and wanted to most ideal diamond in the setting since it would still be bright and reflect the most light possible even in the "dimming" setting. And let me tell you, the color of the stone is to die for!

He purchased the stone on Blue Nile for approximately $5,000 -- and this was a few years back. But, visually, it was worth every penny!!

Here are the three I found on Blue Nile

Diamond Details: 0.53 Carat Round Cut Loose Diamond (Signature Ideal, D / IF)

Diamond Details: 0.53 Carat Round Cut Loose Diamond (Signature Ideal, D / IF)

Diamond Details: 0.54 Carat Round Cut Loose Diamond (Signature Ideal, D / IF)

Good Luck!!

ydiamonds

Rough_Rock
I had the same thought as you, though not quite to D/IF. I wanted a smaller stone too, and spent the $ on E/VVS2 (only a pinpoint inclusion). I looked at VS1 stones and the inclusions just turned me off. Even though I couldn''t see them without magnification, I still knew they were there. I also wanted an icy white stone. I would have gone for top of the color/clarity, but I compromised a bit for size.

cara

Ideal_Rock
It's not stupid, but I'll just give you my more sciency take:

Try not to get emotionally caught up in the D/IF grading meaning a flawless perfect stone. IF, for example, does not mean flawless. It just means no flaws visible at 10x. Put it under a 60x microscope, and there will be flaws. There will always be flaws if you zoom in enough. A D stone is not 100.00000000000000000000000000000000 % pure carbon, it still has some impurities, just slightly less than a similar E stone. Its a spectrum, and D/IF does not mean you have achieved perfection.

So for me, I really don't think I'd go for a D/IF stone even with an infinite budget. The idea that D/IF is perfection whereas E/VVS is flawed I see as marketing hype that is based more on emotion than on a scientific description of the crystal at hand.

But by all means, if you are color sensitive, buy a "colorless" D/E/F stone. Throw out the F's if you might/maybe/think you could distinguish D from F in an ideal cut half carat diamond face up, or even set in side view (which would be hard!)

If you have eagle eyes, similarly go with VVS to not have to worry about it.

But beyond that? Throwing your money after paper. Which you are free to do if it makes you
1.gif

Michel

Rough_Rock
Lynn and Cara - that was exactly what I needed.

Its not flawless, just under 10x; and as you say, that makes all the difference. Since the concept of it being pure is totally false as a result. To be honest, I always thought of the idea of getting a flawless diamond as a bit cliched, but I am equally trying to make a statement about my diamond purchase, so searched for ways to do so.

It just seems a little silly sometimes to think that we all go off and buy our colourless diamond in our solitaire settings to represent our love, but all it represents on face value is nothing; and that nothing is bought expensively because of De Beers price fixing - we don''t really even know how rare certain diamonds are do we? We just know what is rare on the market...

Sorry for the dicergence, there, but I wanted to give a bit of background on why I started thinking toward D/IF, etc.

Fancies were something I had not thought of.

Can anyone else come up with any ''original'' ideas on how to make the diamond more personalised? Obviously, there are lots of settings (and I hate to think how long I am going to try and decide over that for) but what about diamonds? We''ve certainly settled on round brilliant, so the obvious idea of an unusual shape is not going to apply. Is there anything else, or should I now turn my attention to settings?!?

Thanks everyone!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2008 4:52:15 PM
Author: Michel

Its not flawless, just under 10x; and as you say, that makes all the difference. Since the concept of it being pure is totally false as a result. To be honest, I always thought of the idea of getting a flawless diamond as a bit cliched, but I am equally trying to make a statement about my diamond purchase, so searched for ways to do so.

It just seems a little silly sometimes to think that we all go off and buy our colourless diamond in our solitaire settings to represent our love, but all it represents on face value is nothing; and that nothing is bought expensively because of De Beers price fixing - we don''t really even know how rare certain diamonds are do we? We just know what is rare on the market...

Sorry for the dicergence, there, but I wanted to give a bit of background on why I started thinking toward D/IF, etc.

Can anyone else come up with any ''original'' ideas on how to make the diamond more personalised? Obviously, there are lots of settings (and I hate to think how long I am going to try and decide over that for) but what about diamonds? We''ve certainly settled on round brilliant, so the obvious idea of an unusual shape is not going to apply. Is there anything else, or should I now turn my attention to settings?!?

Thanks everyone!
Michel,

I like you a lot!
2.gif

Hmmmm... ways to make it more personalized... more "special". Well, I''d say get her an extremely well cut stone (now THAT''S what''s rare and special!) When that beautiful little piece of carbon flashes and sparkles at her, and blows away most every other diamond that she''ll likely see IRL... to me, that''s SPECIAL! And I would also ask that you at least reconsider *size*... honestly, the dreaded Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome (DSS) sets in insidiously and those darn little pebbles can start to shrink right before your eyes! And of course, practically speaking, more size just means more diamond to LOVE, ogle and admire, right?!

And oh, one last thing -- never underestimate the power of the proposal! That can be mighty "special", too!!!
36.gif

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks everyone!

One note of advice that helped me when we were picking out my stone and I was getting caught up in the pedigree of the stones was, "buy the diamond, not the certification". This really helped me alot. Once I started looking and comparing stones that were all ''divine'', the particularities that began to speak to me began to emerge. I fell in love with the particular flash ''signature'' of an ideal cut stone with lower girdle facet length. It ''spoke'' to me, and when I saw it I had that feeling of ''there''s *my* diamond!''. That made it very personal for me. If you and your fiance were looking at stones, there might be something in an E VVS that takes her breath away, and I wouldn''t consider excluding it just because of its certs.

Just my 2 cents! Good luck!
35.gif

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-do-you-want-clarity-to-be-mind-clean.57899/

There have been many threads over the years about mind clean versus eyeclean. You''ve already said both of you are colour sensitive but as regards clarity perhaps you can go check out what stones of different grades actually look like and whether you can tell the difference. Some of us shortsighted people have great upclose vision. There are people here who are happy with IF and others with I. It is always a personal choice and the only people who have to be pleased are the ones spending the money.
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks everyone!
What dates are meaningful to you two? Perhaps you could find a stone with numbers to correlate with/commemorate them.

i.e. You met on July 23rd, you could try and find a stone with a diameter of 7.23. Now, this could prove enough to drive you mad looking, but it was just a thought, if something would work rather easily.
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What I would do is go f vs/si of the best cut and get her some matching earrings rather than going D/IF
or even a tennis bracelet or a pendant.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michel - Have you looked into OECs (Old European Cut) stones? Everyone has their own idea of what makes something special and meaningful. I have an OEC in an antique handmade setting. I love the idea that my stone was not cut according to some preset, precise standards. I love the chunky facets. And, my stone is a sparkle-festival (that''s what I call it sometimes.) Maybe a colorless OEC is what you''re looking for?

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Michel!

I think all the previous posters have given excellent contributions regarding D/IF - to which I can''t really add.

However, if you want to reaaaaaaally personalise your diamond, you can always have the girdle laser engraved with your names, the date of your proposal, or a romantic message. The inscription is only visible with a loupe - and is something your fiancee could keep as her own secret, or tell her friends about if she wished. Either way, the engraving would certainly make the diamond completely unique to you as a couple.

My diamond is laser engraved with its AGS certificate number as a means of identification... but you can be more romantic than that if you like!

Incidentally, I was delighted when I found the last four digits of my diamond''s cert number are 2010... our son''s birthday is 20th October (20/10/2004 in England!) which made it all the more special.

I would completely agree about concentrating on the cut. My AGS0 Ideal cut stone blows everyone away, from jewellers to inncocent bystanders with its incredible sparkle... and it''s ''only'' an F, VS2. (I am very colour sensitive, and get bugged by visible inclusions... but my stone is as white as white can be, and totally pristine to the naked eye... however closely you look).

Karen x

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2008 10:47:06 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
Michel - Have you looked into OECs (Old European Cut) stones? Everyone has their own idea of what makes something special and meaningful. I have an OEC in an antique handmade setting. I love the idea that my stone was not cut according to some preset, precise standards. I love the chunky facets. And, my stone is a sparkle-festival (that's what I call it sometimes.) Maybe a colorless OEC is what you're looking for?

Another option would be to go for a proprietary cut round - a Solasfera or an Eighternity. They definitely have their own unique look and sparkle pattern. There are comparison videos on GOG's site.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results