shape
carat
color
clarity

My opal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Soooo I''ve been trying to take pictures of my opal to get some opinions on how to set it. I did manage to get a few but I can''t get real close up, so I''m not sure how they''ll look. They''re pretty on my computer screen so let''s see.

100b11001.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
And this is my attempt at the size of it. I took these inside by the window..is it better to go outside?

100_11311.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve got an opal pendant already-a fire opal from my gramma. So, I would like this to be a ring. I thought about doing a full bezel..then I thought about Sally''s lotus ring.

I''ve had it for about a year now. I don''t know about the quality of it or anything-I don''t know that much about opals other than they''re my birthstone and I adore them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most gemstones look better outdoors. Give that a shot. It looks to have a few dead spots but where the colour shows, I like how irridescent it looks; the bright green, blue and yellow.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your opal is very beautiful. It would look gorgeous in Sally''s Lotus setting. Please more pictures.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Purdy! Might be kinda big for a ring IMHO. what about a bracelet?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a millimeter reading correct? I would not have a problem with ring stones up to 10mm.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, it''s mm side of the ruler..I took it down to the jewelers last year and they used the little dealy to measure it but I don''t remember what they said. K, lemme go outside and see if I can get some better ones. I think Spring has finally come to my corner of Iowa!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It''s very pretty. A bezel is a good idea to keep it protected. Or maybe some type of halo setting.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
k this one was outside. Not sure if it''s any better!

100_11381.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I put it on my middle finger to have a frame of reference..I must say I''m amazed at how pudgy my fingers look in pictures!

100_1142111.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat - the most important thing is that YOU love the stone. Opals are difficult to photograph. Is it an Andamooka Semi-Black?

It''ll look lovely in one of Sally''s rings but might be a little too exposed in the lotus ring. Have you seen the pillbox ring she does? It has a bezel head and I think would look gorgeous because you never really want to see the sides or underside of an opal and the pillbox will be perfect for that.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, I do love the little guy..I''m not sure what kind it is. I asked Gramma but it''s been so long, she wasn''t sure. Grampa was an amateur gem cutter, and was big into opals. They used to go to Australia every winter, and met someone who owned an opal mine. This is one of the opals Grampa mined. I was born on his birthday, and he died when I was 14, so this is my own little piece of Grampa to carry with me.

I never thought of Sally''s pillbox setting, LD-that''s a good idea! It''s pretty and it won''t break my bank!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I actually like the bracelet idea, as you already have a pendant and opals (due to their fragility) are not the best ring stones. Bezeling it is a good idea, but you''ll have to find a good jeweller who has some experience with setting opals, as they can get damaged in the process. BTW, take a look at them on an overcast day; some experts claim that that''s the best light to show their play of color.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your input Ma Re! I''ll probably do a ring, tho I do like the thought of a bracelet-I just never wear them. I want a lotus ring sooo bad, but I do want it to be protected, so I think I''ll convo Sally and talk to her about the pillbox. Do opals look better in certain metals or is that just personal preference?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 1:56:06 PM
Author: packrat
Thanks for your input Ma Re! I''ll probably do a ring, tho I do like the thought of a bracelet-I just never wear them. I want a lotus ring sooo bad, but I do want it to be protected, so I think I''ll convo Sally and talk to her about the pillbox. Do opals look better in certain metals or is that just personal preference?
IMO that depends on how bright their colors are - if they''re more pastel and subdued, I''d go with white, but if they''re screaming and vibrant there''s no reason not to go with a high karat yellow, for instance. If there''s some red/pink/orange in the color play you can even go with rose gold. I guess it all depends on the colors, but your stone seems to be suitable for white metal - although you can choose whatever you like, of course.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very cool. I love the green.

I think I''d go with a ring in white gold. Let us know what Sally says!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I love opals, and your''s is pretty!!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 3:34:45 PM
k this one was outside. Not sure if it''s any better!

Love this photo, it looks glowing with flecks of colored fire! Gorgeous!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke, Mochi and Sparkles, thank you! I convo''d Sally about the Pillbox! I''m excited-I might be able to cross 1 of my projects off the list! I appreciate everyone''s help steering me along!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do white since I see some greens and blues.

Mar Re,
Wouldn''t an opal bracelet be more prone to damage with the hand/wrist banging/rubbing on things here and there?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 10:54:29 PM
Author: Chrono
I would do white since I see some greens and blues.

Mar Re,
Wouldn''t an opal bracelet be more prone to damage with the hand/wrist banging/rubbing on things here and there?
Not if it''s a bangle bracelet
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 11:48:35 AM
And this is my attempt at the size of it. I took these inside by the window..is it better to go outside?
Love this photo and the colors.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! I like it! Opal is my mother''s favorite stone. I like them too. How could you not?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results