shape
carat
color
clarity

My online experience with DirtCheapDiamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

StVincent

Rough_Rock
After months of searching through downtown, and seeing over 30 stones,and talking to a number of people that are almost like family to me, I bought my diamond online because what I was looking for was well defined in my mind, and simple because it was available to me online. I can say that the brick & morter businesses were great to deal with. They were helpful and they do provide a service. But when you know what you want, you have to make a sacrafice if a vendor doesn''t have what you want. So I tried online, and sure enough there was a stone that I liked and placed a hold on with Josh and DirtCheapDiamonds. He was very courtious and listened well. I asked to place it on hold and that I would order it tomorrow by money wire transfer. Then I thought why not use a credit card, since it would be a easier way to try and get my money back if the stone is not to my liking.
A couple days and over the weekend I was busy with other plans and didn''t call Josh back til Monday morning. I called 3-4 times and all I got was the answering machine. I figured either they are closed or very busy so I left a message. The next morning I got a call from Josh that he still has the diamond and is just waiting for the wire transfer. I was actually surprised to hear this. I thought the stone was sold gone and on to a new diamond hunt for me. But he honored my desire for it, and had it on hold. He gladly took my CC info and after we spoke in the afternoon monday, the Fed Ex arrived at my office 10AM the next morning.
I opened the package and I was happy. The lighting in my office is regular cool white florencent lighting. So I was thinking this is a nice shape, not so reflective but nice. Then I took it outside and BAM!...I saw the reds, the blues the greens come off the stone sparkleing at all angles....I dont rememebr that in an Emerald cut on other stones I looked at(although they were under Daylight high temp bulbs for grading) ..well I guess when it is IDEAL cut the stone does come to life. Very clean stone under a 10x loupe..I took the stone to a friends shop and he placed it next to a 4 others and the GIA F grade of my stone was evident to the other cert like EGL that GIA sets the standard and high accuracy grading. I could see it almost 2 shades whiter than another comparable stone.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank Josh and the folks at DirtCheapDiamonds(damn I wish they had a better name...hahaha) for making a very sceptic person have a super experience in diamonds online. I would recommend anyone close to me to purchase from a reputable online vendor like DirtCheapDiamonds.com.

I tried to take pictures of it, but it is hard...any recommendations on lighting?

here it is:

P2110009.JPG

P2110013.JPG

P2110010.JPG

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I'm glad you finally decided on a stone. Was this the #5? It's really gorgeous and please, please let us know how the proposal goes and what you end up setting it in.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, StVincent! Love the pictures
appl.gif

StVincent

Rough_Rock
yes, thats #5...thank you!

I actually had already proposed with another $5 ring when we were on vacation. This now takes place of that. I have a feeling she will LOVE this and cherish the symbolic $5 ring...hehhe.

by the way, in one of the pictures you see a "blemish" right in the middle of the stone...thats actually the reflection of the lazer inscription....I got it in just the an angle in that shot. its VS1.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats, St.Vincent, it's absolutely lovely!

Best wishes to the intended as well!

win

StVincent

Rough_Rock
thank you Leonid....

I also have to thank Pricescope for making me an educated diamond shopper, and having such a forum to discuss this issue that many people just dive into.. THANK YOU PRICESCOPE!!!!!!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
May she wear it well StVincent! Congrats to you both! I love when people acknowledge a good service and not only a bad one! Yay you!

it's a phenomenal stone! When my guy and I saw radiants, we liked them OK, but when we FINALLY found one with great proportions the stone just jumped out at us and screamed, "Take me home!!!" So we did. Glad yours just screamed too!
9.gif
appl.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Awwww, I just love the idea of proposing with a $5 ring. That's just so sweet!!!! I wish you both the best.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Absolutely lovely! I love how the light shines through the stone with rainbows.

What are the specs on this stone? I must have missed the previous posts.

Congrats SV and DCD
1.gif

StVincent

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the remarks...
The stone is a VS1-F GIA laser enscribed certified Emerald Cut.
.83carat, Depth is 64%, table is 63%
Polish is Very good, symmetry is good, No Culet, Florescence: none with a very thin to medium girdle(my diamond setter looked at the girdle and said no prob at all).
6.22x4.81x3.10

I chose these measurements since the setting I liked was originally with a square .57crt diamond (alla Stuart Moore $16K ring design with my modifications +20%
2.gif
)...So I wanted a Emerald cut between assher and the classic 1.5:1 ratio that wasn't bottom heavy to look a descent size.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!
love.gif
That is a real sparkler!!
10.gif
Just gorgeous!!
3.gif
And the colors are fantastic!!!
9.gif

Can't wait to see the ring!! And, I bet she keeps that $5 ring forever!! I know I would!!
1.gif

StVincent

Rough_Rock
I was wondering....are colors a good thing to see? someone else mentioned that also, about seeing the colors...I thought they were a sign of imitation stones, like CZ's?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/13/2004 5:08:24 PM StVincent wrote:

I was wondering....are colors a good thing to see? someone else mentioned that also, about seeing the colors...I thought they were a sign of imitation stones, like CZ's? ----------------

No Way!! That's the fire of your diamond showing because it's such a fantastic CUT!!
appl.gif
Our comments on the colors are a good thing!!
2.gif
9.gif
3.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats on the Purchase St. Vincent.!
9.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Looks really gorgeous! It has amazing fire for an emerald cut!
1.gif
9.gif

StVincent

Rough_Rock
thanks much for the responses!
I have a friend who is a GIA gemologist, and he helped me with some advice before my purchase. Does anyone know how much I might have expected to pay for such a stone?

I wish I could find even further information on Emerald cut diamonds. I read D Atlas's chart. It gives some idea, but not much further for Emerald cuts.

Does anyone one know of other links in specifics for Emerald cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results