shape
carat
color
clarity

my oec ering has arrived! pics and questions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missismene

Shiny_Rock
My engagement ring came in late last week! But I have not had time to take pics and still want to take better ones.
But I want to show you guys and ask a co of questions.

Should I raise the setting of the solitaire? This is something that I wondered when we purchased it, but decided to wear it for a while to decide.

Now I am looking for my oec band!

Anyway, here is the ring & stats.
7.70*7.79*4.84mm
color K
clarity I1
td 67.4
table size 47%
girdle-extremely thin to slightly thick
fl-none
cutlet large
polish good
symmetry fair

ring size 5

I love the ring and thank you guys for answering my ignorant questions and turning me on to oec diamonds!
And I have learned that I hate my hands in pics but I am pretty sure you guys are here for the diamonds.

ringad2.jpg

missismene

Shiny_Rock
another hand shot

ringad1.jpg

missismene

Shiny_Rock
i plan to get better at this picture thing.

ringad3.jpg

missismene

Shiny_Rock
one of my fav pics.

ringad4.jpg

missismene

Shiny_Rock
another hand shot

ringad5.jpg

missismene

Shiny_Rock
last hand shot

ringad33.jpg

missismene

Shiny_Rock
The questionable setting side shot. It is in the original setting and I am considering raising or embellishing it but am not certain.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous, congrats!

missismene

Shiny_Rock
sorry here it is.

ringad6.jpg

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I think it's really quite perfect as it is. So delicate. I would not change a thing. I personally love the lowness of the profile. Why were you thinking of raising it?

I adore the prongs and those notch details on each side, I have no idea what they are called, but the wrap-around part below the sidestones -- Love that. That's one of my favorites details on vintage rings.

The stone itself is lovely, and that's a great shot of the culet and the pattern in the photo that you said is one of your faves.

Oh, and if you don't mind sharing, where is it from? Just curious.

Congratulations on your engagement!!

P.S. Since you plan to take more photos, try slipping different colored fabrics in the ring and see how the stone picks up the colors. Fun stuff!!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I love it the way it is! What a beautiful ring...stone and setting. I am a big fan of leaving old jewelry original
5.gif

missismene

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both!
I love how delicate it is too and that it is in the original platinum setting. The reason I asked about raising the setting is because I have not seen very many low set rings I like (besides this one.) I want to do the little oec justice and if I need to change the setting I will!

We purchased the diamond from a jeweler in New Orleans on Royal St. There are many vintage/estate jewelers on this street and in the area.

Thanks for the photo tip, I am ready to play around with it but we have had company all weekend.

missismene

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Dana, me too!

Reenie

Rough_Rock
Absolutely stunning - congratulations on your engagement. I love the setting as it is. I wouldnt change a thing.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning ring. I agree though, raising the diamond will look sensational.

missismene

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Reenie, I saw your oec and love it as well. i am scouring ebay as well, but have been scared to purchase.
I am glad it worked out so well for you!

Loving, what do you mean? It would improve the look of the ring?
Thanks for the honest replies!

missismene

Shiny_Rock
Loving, i must read that wrong, sensational is a good thing!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Wow, oh wow, that is really really gorgeous. I love the setting, and what a diamond! Congratulations!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 3:27:12 PM
Author: missismene
Thank you Reenie, I saw your oec and love it as well. i am scouring ebay as well, but have been scared to purchase.
I am glad it worked out so well for you!

Loving, what do you mean? It would improve the look of the ring?
Thanks for the honest replies!
1.gif

What I meant was that I think if you raised the central diamond like you were suggesting, the profile would be gorgeous and it''d make the central diamond stand out more. I personally like high rings and don''t favour rings that sit close to my finger so when I saw the profile of yours I could imagine it sitting higher and how wonderful it would look. Does that make sense? It''s totally a personal preference and your ring looks stunning as it is but if you prefer a higher diamond then go for it!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! I would not change anything; it is lovely as it is! Congratulations
36.gif

missismene

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the responses.
Loving, that makes complete sense. That is what I was wondering. I do not want to gawdy up the ring and take away from it but if raising it would enhance it then I am considering that.

Is it an easy process? Being that is it is a very old delicate setting I am wondering if it is easy to do or what would be the down fall?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
It''s really beautiful, and so clean for an I1! I also wouldn''t raise it, but I always prefer low settings because I find them far more practical than high ones.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Is the setting original? Because I definitely wouldn''t touch it! It looks beautiful as is plus you wouldn''t want to be knocking that OEC into everything
1.gif

missismene

Shiny_Rock
The diamond is set in the original platinum setting. It is very dainty. I would not raise it super high for practical reasons.
I will look around for an example of what I am thinking. I will probably snoop around here.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too think it would look nice if your diamond was set just a little higher. Right now, probably because I''m use to seeing most diamonds set higher, your stone
gives me the impression that it is shallow (which I''m sure it is not!) I think if it was lifted a little it would give it the prominence that it deserves. That being said,
I would not sacrafice the setting if it could not be done easily. Its a beautiful stone and setting!

It IS just a matter of what you like.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 4:35:12 PM
Author: missismene
thanks for the responses.
Loving, that makes complete sense. That is what I was wondering. I do not want to gawdy up the ring and take away from it but if raising it would enhance it then I am considering that.

Is it an easy process? Being that is it is a very old delicate setting I am wondering if it is easy to do or what would be the down fall?
If it''s a delicate setting then the first thing I would do is get it checked over by a jeweller. If you raise the central diamond then don''t raise it by too much. A couple of mm would make a huge difference to the "look". However, there is an argument - as you can see from above - that says to leave well alone because it''s a vintage setting. That being said, if it''s going to enhance the beauty of the ring for you then go ahead and do it. I would think it would be a tricky but not impossible job for an experienced benchman.

I can''t wait to see if what you do (if anything). Please keep us updated won''t you?

missismene

Shiny_Rock
i will definitely keep you guys updated. i hope to post more. my mother recently passed on beautiful family jewels to me. (i think she finally thinks i am responsible enough.) And I am on the lookout for an oec band and earrings.
Thanks for all the help. Does "shallow" mean low setting? (was posted above.) I am wondering if this is some diamond lingo i do not understand or just that the setting is low.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
i LOOOOOOOVVVVEEEEE it!! it is beautiful!

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
Oh my, I love it!!! The stone is so pretty, really a unique and beautiful find!!! Congratulations!!!!!

As far as the setting, I actually almost gasped when I saw this picture...

I worked in the jewelry business for many years (though not any longer), and have a bit of experience with the bench... and actually I am very concerned about your prongs, especially the one at the top left (in the referenced picture). It may be just the photograph and the angle that the ring is being held, but it appears to be just barely covering the girdle of the stone, and *gulp* just one good knock against something had could be disastrous. It looks like the lower prongs in the pic have been worked on at some point, because just from the picture they look a little more bulky than the top ones... again, this is just from what I can see in the pictures, but I would REALLY recommend that unless a bench jeweler has given you the "2 thumbs up" that the ring is in the kind of condition that can hold up to everyday wear, I would get it looked at ASAP!!! Lots of times these beautiful antique pieces really need a lot of work done to them before they're ready for another generation (or two!) of constant wear
28.gif

ringad4xx.jpg

missismene

Shiny_Rock
that is crazy, because i asked fi if he saw anything weirdo about prongs in pics. he agreed. we are getting insured tom or tues, and he said that involves another appraisal.
we did send the diamond in for gia certification, so it was removed from the setting for that purpose.
is that significant? could it be bad work from the jeweler?
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results