shape
carat
color
clarity

My OEC eBay find with pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/4/2008 1:21:43 AM
Author: hairgirl95

I LOVE it! Why can''t I ever find cool things like this when I search ebay??!! It is so unique. How old do think this is? Did the appraiser give you any indications? I am not an expert at all, but to me it kind of has that WWII era look to it. Are you going to do some research on it? If you do find any history on this, please post it. I would be so interested in hearing more about it! Enjoy wearing that beauty--I still wish I had your luck at finding these cool pieces!
Oh, it took me MONTHS to find this one. I would search like a hawk every couple days for whatever was new. The search criteria that I used were "European Cut Diamond" and "Old Mine Cut Diamond" and "filigree diamond ring." In one of those three categories, you''ll find something. If you see something, put it on your Watch List for a couple days and see how the bidding goes. It also gives you time to do research and/or ask the seller questions. You don''t want to bid on something that has 6 days left and is already up to several hundred dollars (unless it''s fabulous and you''re prepared to pay). I bid on I think 4 auctions before I won this one.

On eBay, you can set up custom searches. I do this for jeans. I only wear Lucky Brand jeans in a certain style and bootcut with button fly (they''re the only jeans that fit me properly). So, I have a custom search set up to where I can just hit a button and come up with whatever''s new in my size/style. I''ve never paid more than $20 for a pair of Luckys, which retail at $75+ new.

I just walked into the jeweler and got a quick opinion, but I might get a formal appraisal on it at some point. I do know that it''s an OEC cut and it''s nicely cut (you can see hearts if you look under a loupe). The jeweler said that it''s possible that the diamond is older than the setting. But he did tell me that the setting is not a repro and not cast, and it is 18k white gold. That style of ring was popular in the early 1900s to maybe 1940. Lotus flowers and decorative scrollwork were very popular in Deco art. So I''m gonna guess that the ring is maybe 20s to 40s.

Bridget in Connecticut..

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 5:53:28 PM
Author: purrfectpear

Let's be honest here, half carat I colored stones with a visible (even if you have to look for it, it's still not technically eyeclean) carbon spot price out between $492 and a high of $800. How long would that jeweler stay in business if he paid $1800 for stones like that?
This jeweler is a neighborhood store, not a chain. He also has a sign in his window that says "if we don't have it, we can get it." He mostly sells new items like any B&M store, but he also sells estate pieces. Could be that someone came in looking for something he didn't have, and he's searching for it. Maybe he had a client that wanted exactly what I have and were willing to pay?

Thing is, some things are worth more to certain people than their on-paper value. There are people out there who will pay obscene amounts of money for, say, the model car they had as a teenager (even if it's a poo-box car, like the old Novas) or a specific baseball card. For a while, Fiestaware was really popular - people paid a lot of money for some colors. And my grandmother used to crack up at what people would pay for Depression glass....because in her day, she'd get pieces for a few cents at the corner store, and even would get it free when she went to the movies. People will pay several hundred dollars for Seven jeans, when the denim can be bought in a fabric store for $25. It's supply and demand.

He's been in business for almost 40 years, so he must know something.

Bridget in Connecticut..

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
WOW 1920-1940''s huh. AMAZING craftsmanship on that ring! I just love early 1900''s jewelry. The filigree, the carvings, to me they are just spectacular. Its true hand created artistry. And look at how well it has endured time! You just can''t find that kind of craftsmanship this day and age. I always wonder how my ring will look in 100 years compared to the ring you purchased. I am guessing your new ebay beauty will have stood the test of time much better!! Thanks for the search suggestions for ebay. I always just searched vintage, never thought to try the filigree search. I am going to take a gander and see if I find anything pretty! Thanks for posting what you found out. Once again, great find on that ring. If ya wanna post more pics at anytime, I won''t complain!!
27.gif

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I love it!!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it too! And BTW, it looks great on you and i think you have lovely hands!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
What a great find!!! It is fabulous, I love the fact that the filigree is hand crafted! Stunning!!!!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results