shape
carat
color
clarity

My OEC & 8-cut eternities are FINALLY here and that one that got away is not...

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Long story about 3 rings, two of which I acquired - thanks for the help PS ! - and 1 I lost. Feel free to skip to the pictures ;))

The happy part of my story:
So about a month ago I posted here about 2 eternity rings I saw on an auction house website. They were sold in the same lot, 18 carat white gold, one with OECs about 1 tcw and with 1 single cuts about 0.4 tcw. VS-SI and loose They got stuck at the customs for over a week and I got worried. The border actually inspected them and they turned out to be 750 platinum (OEC one) and 950 palladium (8-cut)! I'm shocked that the auction house got the material completely wrong! However, I guess I cannot complain, although I'm a bit worried about the low platinum content and wearing my 18 carat wg e-ring together with these? The Swiss border also sent a formal letter to the auction house to complain about their practices that nearly broke the Swiss law, (all precious metal items must be hallmarked unless older than 50 years) quite incredible how thorough they are.

The sad part: I also saw a STUNNING french cut eternity that eventually didn't sell at the auction. It was then for sale at the after sale for a bargain price of about 6000 USD. 4.8 tcw, IF-vvs and white stones (G-H), 18 carat white gold. On the day I decided to just buy it based on just one picture and short description, it was sold. I had immediate regret, big time. Well my regret got much worse when about 2 weeks ago I found it on ebay!! For 19 000 euros - roughly 22 500 USD. And guess what: it turned out to be a Tiffany ring and PLATINUM. I thought the seller is blatantly lying about the ring, contacted him and showed him the auction house description. The seller said that the auction house didn't see the hallmarks and sent me a picture confirming that indeed it's plat and Tiffany .. And now it's sold, for 22 500 USD. That's a very handsome profit! I'm still absolutely fuming with myself for not trusting myself and just buying it. But it was my first experience with an auction house and even the bargain price of 6000 USD is a lot of money to throw away based on 1 picture and 3 sentences. Well I doubt I will come across such a deal ever again... :wall: If anyone understands my feelings it's this place so hence the sharing. Have any of you lost that one item and still regretting it? Here's the sold ring with more pictures:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362308892103?ul_noapp=true

The happiest part, pictures: Anyways, the rings that I actually did get, I love. Thank you PS for helping me to make up my mind! The OEC ring is especially stunning, the diamonds are bright, clear and beautiful. Both rings go well with my GIA E e-ring, don't see any color difference which I was a bit worried about. And now finally pictures!!
1IMG_2426.JPG
2IMG_2401.JPG
IMG_2403.JPG
cid:1AF0BA6F-DFF8-4A70-A207-47FFB49B8D6E@corp.google.com

cid:F3EFDF53-7958-4C34-B4B9-960159650CFD@corp.google.com

cid:F42C4501-8DA3-48A0-A5EF-C9FD55752AD9@corp.google.com

Attachments

• 1IMG_2426.JPG
    1IMG_2426.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 34

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GUTTED about the Tiffany you didn't score! Doh!!!!

But these are just beautiful! I especially like be how dreamy & old they are. They look to be in really good shape too - well done for pulling the trigger!

Seems like this auction house are not very thorough with their inspections though. Perhaps you can share who they are, so that we can all buy something that turns out to be WAY better than what it was listed as!

More ring pictures needed!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh just beautiful and sorry you missed out on the Tiffany ring but don't worry. You are becoming a pro and soon you will find another deal. In the meantime wow to your "new" bling.:love:

and yes please share more pics with us.:appl:

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Alex T and @missy thank you both for your kind words! It is so good to share my sob story here where people actually understand :bigsmile: My partner's level of sympathy was "it's just a ring, find a new one". Well yes indeed it is, but ...

I will try to take new better pictures at work tomorrow. I love how each and every tiny OEC is unique, some with the tiniest tables and some with large ones, all with mini petals underneath. Just full of little sparkles :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Cool story--except for the sad part. lol

Your rings are lovely.

cheers--Sharon

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
New pictures I just took in the sun. A bit better but photography is not my strongest talent. Left the single cut home today and somehow dig this combo more, very happy with the OEC eternity

IMG_24401.JPG
IMG_24412.JPG
IMG_24423.JPG

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh dang! Don’t you hate it when that happens?! So close, yet so far....
congrats on your new bands though! They look lovely !

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Exactly @leukolenos but this serves as a good lesson for the future auctions :))

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Exactly @leukolenos but this serves as a good lesson for the future auctions :))
Ugh well I learned my lesson today too....I had been eyeing an oec in a sapphire halo and I missed the whole dang auction having mislabeled my calendar. I went to check in and it had sold for a pittance! Absolutely kicking myself!

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ugh well I learned my lesson today too....I had been eyeing an oec in a sapphire halo and I missed the whole dang auction having mislabeled my calendar. I went to check in and it had sold for a pittance! Absolutely kicking myself!

Oh darn! That is just the worst feeling. The only cure is to hunt a new bargain - preferably even better than the last one :mrgreen: I know it's not that easy, but our finds prove that it's possible!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results