shape
carat
color
clarity

My not-so-perfect pair…

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For about a year I have been contemplating how to go forward in creating stud earrings using my original e-ring diamond, which is not-so-well cut, but I love it and the story behind it and have missed wearing it daily. After considering several options (re-cut and then finding a match, matching it with an uncertified diamond, etc.), I ultimately decided to pair it with a GIA ExExEx diamond with improved proportions despite the fact that they would perform differently. I ordered a couple potential matches...a .91 ct (identical in diameter, closer to a 60/60 style, and the one I assumed would be the better match), and a .92 ct (slightly smaller in diameter, but closer to an ideal cut). After comparing them under all types of lighting, I decided to go with the .92 ct. I had to be mindful of the budget as DH was becoming a bit annoyed with all my jewelry and diamond projects :lol:, so he was happy I kept it at $3,900 all in for the diamond, setting (3 prong martini with jumbo backs) and labor, and I am happy to finally be able to wear my original e-ring diamond every day again =)2 And the differences are not obvious at all when they are in my ears.

Stone A is my original e-ring diamond. It’s a steep/deep GIA Good, VG, VG, with an HCA score 4.8 :-o. The issue with matching it exactly of course was that I would have been paying the premium for the 1ct mark for a stone just as poorly cut, which I couldn’t bring myself to do.

Measurements 6.28 - 6.32 x 3.97 mm
Carat Weight 1.01 carat
Color Grade I
Clarity Grade SI1
Depth 63.0 %
Table 60 %
Crown Angle 35.5°
Crown Height 14.5%
Pavilion Angle 41.0°
Pavilion Depth 43.5%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Medium to Very Thick, Faceted, 5.5%
Culet None
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
Fluorescence Medium Blue
Clarity Characteristics Crystal, Cloud, Feather, Indented Natural, Knot

Stone B is the match. It is a GIA Triple Ex with an HCA score of 1.3 from WithClarity (f/k/a FourMine, who were a pleasure to work with). It’s just outside PS standards, but surprisingly it turned out to be a very nice match and it provides the diameter I need without the 1ct price premium.

Measurements 6.21 - 6.23 x 3.83 mm
Carat Weight 0.92 carat
Color Grade H
Clarity Grade SI1
Cut Grade Excellent
Depth 61.6 %
Table 57 %
Crown Angle 35.5°
Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 40.6°
Pavilion Depth 42.5%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet None
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence None
Clarity Characteristics Twinning Wisp

Studs.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, they look pretty good! I was expecting to see 1 good and 1 ugly stone but they look good together!
I am glad you are able to wear your original stone again!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, they look beautiful together @Kaycee2018 :love: You did a wonderful job on this project. How great you can wear and enjoy your ering stone. I'm happy for you!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Kaycee2018 your studs are beautiful! What a wonderful way to convert your original e-ring and be able to wear it again daily! I love the match that you found and the final product.:love:

Thank you, @SimoneDi !

You know, they look pretty good! I was expecting to see 1 good and 1 ugly stone but they look good together!
I am glad you are able to wear your original stone again!

Thanks, @tyty333 . I struggled with the decision to find the closest "match" possible or go with something better/more ideal and living with the differences. I just couldn't bring myself to spend good money on a "bad" diamond to match and I really like the specs & performance of the .92 ct. I have long hair that is worn down nearly all the time, so the differences are not noticeable when I wear them. At some point I may re-consider a re-cut, but I just couldn't do it now. Too sentimental about the diamond...maybe in a few years.

Wow, they look beautiful together @Kaycee2018 :love: You did a wonderful job on this project. How great you can wear and enjoy your ering stone. I'm happy for you!

Thanks, @junebug17 ! I didn't think I had a sentimental attachment to it until DH and I first started talking about upgrading. The original plan was for me to trade it in for the upgrade, but I couldn't do it! So sappy...I know :roll

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EAR SHOTS! :) great match, size is perfect.. I'm sooo glad you can now wear your loved engagement ring, I do totally understand the feeling!

:love::love::love:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
EAR SHOTS! :) great match, size is perfect.. I'm sooo glad you can now wear your loved engagement ring, I do totally understand the feeling!

:love::love::love:

Thanks @Tekate ! I didn't realize how much of a sap I'd become (I'm blaming it on age :lol:). I need to take better ear shots after I get my roots done in a couple days (also thanks to age :lol:).

Studs1.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, gorgeous! I love that you have kept the original stone & they are such a fabulous size on you!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful match @Kaycee2018 ! I have always regretted trading up my original stone. So glad you were able to use yours and find such a match!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful earrings! Enjoy!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect size and they look remarkably alike. Nice job matching. Enjoy wearing your original diamond again! May these bring you much pleasure.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love them..and think you made the right decision with the new diamond. I love the sentiment too! So sweet!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone, you did a GREAT job matching your stones!! They look beautiful and I'm sure you're happy being able to still use your sentimental stone. Now will you still be able to tell them apart? :twisted2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are beautiful :love: and you did a wonderful job at matching them @Kaycee2018 .:appl:

brilliantwelldone.gif

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Alex T , @Luce , @doberman , @Slick1 , @Mamabean , @MissGotRocks , @SandyinAnaheim and @missy!

@SandyinAnaheim , the easiest and most sure fire way I can tell them apart is by looking at the profile/depth. My original diamond has some serious excess depth to it LOL And of course when I compare them right next to each other, my original diamond has more white light return and little-to-no contrast whereas the match has more rainbow flashes and contrast. But when worn, the differences aren't noticeable.

Thank you all for sharing in my enthusiasm!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a great idea!! I’m pretty sentimental too, so this is just wonderful to me. They look lovely together!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GREAT job and they are a great size on your ears!! It's not easy to successfully take an existing item and blend it with one's current style.

:appl::appl::appl:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are the better ear shots. The first pic shows my original e-ring diamond, the second shows the match. I tried to get the angles and lighting as close as possible, but that was a challenge. I will say I can't imagine ever going any larger than this in my lobes...but never say never LOL
Studs2.jpg

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
gorgeous!!! What did you upgrade the E ring to? stunning all around

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
gorgeous!!! What did you upgrade the E ring to? stunning all around

Thank you @Rockredo . My initial upgrade for our tenth anniversary was a 1.85 ct (7.87mm) G, VVS2. For our twelfth anniversary, I upgraded my upgrade to a 2.73 ct (9mm) G, VS2.

1.85 on the left, 2.73 on the right:
UpgradeComp.jpg

The perfect size of diamond studs and they look lovely on you.

Thank you, @DiaDiva ! I love being able to wear my original e-ring diamond every day :))

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @Rockredo . My initial upgrade for our tenth anniversary was a 1.85 ct (7.87mm) G, VVS2. For our twelfth anniversary, I upgraded my upgrade to a 2.73 ct (9mm) G, VS2.

1.85 on the left, 2.73 on the right:
UpgradeComp.jpg

This is gorgeous! I am also hoping to upgrade to a G VS about 2.5 carat for my 15 year next year! I love the thin band. How is it set? Did you go with gold? its perfect!

Thank you, @DiaDiva ! I love being able to wear my original e-ring diamond every day :))

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
What a fun project, they look great! Enjoy!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Rockredo and congrats on your upcoming upgrade to celebrate 15 years! It's never too early to start looking ;)) . My setting is 14k WG, 1.8mm knife edge (so it appears thinner). Size is 5.75.

L

lydial

They look gorgeous! I noticed you have one fluorescent stone, one without. I realized last year that I was in the same boat, and mine are about the same size as yourS (0.96/1.06). My stones were harvested from a rather bashed up Edwardian moi et too. Auction find. No certs... I love their unique identities! I always assumed they had past lives because of the single stone with fluoro. My jeweler thinks they are old-old old miners. 1850s? Yours also have their own stories. Enjoy your new ear candy! ACB3C8B1-B13D-4A7F-A8C6-6B4043A5C36E.jpeg

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They look gorgeous! I noticed you have one fluorescent stone, one without. I realized last year that I was in the same boat, and mine are about the same size as yourS (0.96/1.06). My stones were harvested from a rather bashed up Edwardian moi et too. Auction find. No certs... I love their unique identities! I always assumed they had past lives because of the single stone with fluoro. My jeweler thinks they are old-old old miners. 1850s? Yours also have their own stories. Enjoy your new ear candy! ACB3C8B1-B13D-4A7F-A8C6-6B4043A5C36E.jpeg

Those are beautiful! What a great find!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results