shape
carat
color
clarity

My next stringing project...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
I won these natural copper freshwaters on eBay today and am very excited about what I might design when I string them... I have purchased several unstrung strands from this seller and they have all been beautiful with great luster. This is the same seller I purchased the rice pearls I used to string my 10 foot strand.

copper pearls.jpg

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh - I love those, can''t wait to see the strand finished.
I so want to learn how to do this.
Is it way cheaper to buy the pearls loose and string them yourself?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
WOW! I LOVE how metallic they look! I''d like to learn how to do that too, it just seems like a fun project.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
10 foot, WOW
30.gif

Love the luster on those, it''s going to be amazing when you''re done. don''t forget to post pics!

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
You should both learn! It is not only fun to do, it is very relaxing... I''ve gotten so I can knot while sitting on a meeting (I work remotely and the meetings are over the phone) and I pay more attention in the meeting rather than trying to multitask with other work or emails.

I learned how at a local beadshop but then I used the Pearl-Guide forum and have watched their videos and read about how they all knot and I''ve learned so much more. I really enjoy doing it! And am making a ton of graduation, birthday, and Christmas gifts for sisters, neices, and friends this year.

Yes, it is a great deal less expensive to purchase unstrung strands. I have found a couple of eBay buyers that I am comfortable with for my less expensive strands but Pearl Paradise, Pearl Outlet, etc all offer unstrung strands for less than those already strung.

If you would like more help, please reach out.

Julie

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I think I really might learn! I''m all about little stuff like that, and I could use the relaxation:) Plus, it would allow me to get more things for less money, and making people gifts would be so much fun! I wonder if there is anywhere local that I could take a class... Is it possible to learn completely online?

And also, how do you go about getting such metallic pearls? Is it just very sharp luster, or is there something else about them that makes them that way? I love the look!

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Elle! It was the luster that caught my eye as well. But we all know how photos don''t always tell the full story so I guess I will have to wait and see what I get.

Date: 6/10/2009 2:16:45 PM
Author: Kelli
I think I really might learn! I''m all about little stuff like that, and I could use the relaxation:) Plus, it would allow me to get more things for less money, and making people gifts would be so much fun! I wonder if there is anywhere local that I could take a class... Is it possible to learn completely online?

And also, how do you go about getting such metallic pearls? Is it just very sharp luster, or is there something else about them that makes them that way? I love the look!
Kelli, do you have any bead shops in your area? You might look at dexknows to see what pops up in your neighborhood. I happened on a small beadshop that offered classes and took a knotting class for $20. They taught me how to knot using a single strand of silk thread and I still enjoy that method. Once I started, I found the Pearl-Guide forum (you need the hyphen to find it.) They have a section called the Lowly Beaders Club and there is so much information there that I do believe you could learn simply online. There are several video pieces that they link you to that will help and many of the post contributors write so clearly that I think you would be fine. I have followed most of their advice and string with a double thread and like the start / finish methods they talk about as it makes it look more professional.

I do have to say, I liked the class to give me a comfort level that I know what I was doing when the instructor watched me work but I have really added to my knowledge from Pearl-Guide.

Let me know how else I can help.

Julie

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love those; can''t wait to see them strung
36.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much jmtomaui! I highly doubt there''s anything like that near me, but I''ll look it up tomorrow. If not, I''d be up for the challenge of learning online. Thanks for inspiring me.
1.gif

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
OK, I just strung my first necklace and bracelet! I purchased two strands of cheapy freshwater pearls yesterday and watched a couple tutorials on YouTube. Viola! It was pretty easy and my knots looks pretty good. Now I want some of the "mirror" strands from pearl luna and some Freshadamas by the inch
31.gif

yes, it was kinda fun too!

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 9:19:35 PM
Author: akmiss
OK, I just strung my first necklace and bracelet! I purchased two strands of cheapy freshwater pearls yesterday and watched a couple tutorials on YouTube. Viola! It was pretty easy and my knots looks pretty good. Now I want some of the ''mirror'' strands from pearl luna and some Freshadamas by the inch
31.gif

yes, it was kinda fun too!
Congrats AKMiss on the first (of many I am sure) projects! Isn''t it a great feeling to look at something you have made and have that "Hey, I did this" feeling of satisfaction??

I have ordered several things from Pearl Luna on eBay. I would also suggest you look at Pearl Society as they have mostly upper end Tahitians and South Sea pearls. Of course, there is a price to be paid on the higher end pieces. I have also had good luck ordering from icompaks as well. They have pretty pearls also.

Kelli, I''m sure that AKMiss will be an inspiration to you that you can learn online through YouTube. I would suggest buying any cheap beads and some silk or PowerPro and give it a try. You will love it!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooooo, those are so cool! I can''t wait to see what you do with them.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
That''s awesome akmiss! Yes, that is definitely inspiring! How fun
1.gif
Can you post pics?

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
jmtomaui -- I hope you post some pics when you Finnish stringing these?
31.gif
hint hint

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh, those are amazing color! Look pretty sizable too
18.gif
--can''t wait to see pictures!

cheers--Sharon

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2009 12:07:31 PM
1.gif
Can you post pics?
Would love to but my camera is on the fritz
38.gif

I am seriously needing more pearls to string! I have been looking all over for higher quality rounds in my price range.

jmtomaui! thanks for starting this thread! I would love to do some more projects in the very near future
35.gif

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 5:09:20 PM
Author: akmiss

Date: 6/21/2009 12:07:31 PM
1.gif
Can you post pics?
Would love to but my camera is on the fritz
38.gif

I am seriously needing more pearls to string! I have been looking all over for higher quality rounds in my price range.

jmtomaui! thanks for starting this thread! I would love to do some more projects in the very near future
35.gif
Hi Miss. I don''t know what your price range is but I could suggest a few sites that some of the people on the Pearl Guide forum recommend...

The strand I showed in the original post is an eBay strand from Pearllunar. Other eBay sites I''ve purchased from is rainbowisland pearls, and icomepacks. A web site that has been recommended is integritypearl dot com.

You will find some pearls of the price and caliber of Pearl Paradise but for the most part, they are good pearls at reasonable prices for those of us that are still learning and growing in our pearl knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results