shape
carat
color
clarity

My newish 5 stone ring- U prong setting

April20

Ideal_Rock
I've wanted a five stone ring in a U-prong setting since the very first time I saw one on PS. I even created a "5 Stone Ring Wish Folder" on DH's computer, for all the good it did me! I started saving for one about two years ago and saved up enough money over a year ago. I just let it sit for a bit while I brought DH around to the idea. He kept saying it was a "20 year" gift. Given that we're just now hitting 5, that wasn't working for me. Last fall, while we were out of the country, I found an amazing deal on a 5 stone ring with OECs on DB. It was too good to pass up. I bought the ring, but somehow, someway, proceeded to immediately chip two stones. One had a BAD abrasion on the top (I really think it happened at the jeweler while it was sized as it wasn't shipped damaged, but have zero proof of that) and then I somehow knocked the SNOT out of the stone next to it and sheared a sizeable chunk off the side. Do not ask me how, I have no idea. I sent it off to Brian Gavin to be evaluated for polish/re-cut, but while re-cut was possible, it made no sense as it would drastically change the size of the stones and the trickle down effects would literally mean a whole new ring.

When I picked up Mom's ring at the jeweler last week, I had them take a quick peek at mine for a second opinion (knowing what it would be) and to see if perhaps, maybe, just maybe, they could source some replacement stones for me. The jeweler gave me the same verdict as BG (no shock), but said he thought he could find some stones. He called me a few days later with a couple of potential stones to look at. I stopped by Thursday afternoon. The stones looked good- more transitional than OEC, but at least 1 of the 5 stones in the ring looked more transitional than OEC as it was. I asked him to put the new stones on the ends and move the three existing stones to the middle. He said he could have it ready by Saturday, so I told him to proceed.

I picked the ring up today and it looks great! One stone is to my eye smaller than it was previously- but it's on the side and I'm okay with it (well, I'm telling myself I am!). They're similar clarity (SI1) and color (G & H) to the existing stones (all G). I basically now have 2 OEC and 3 transitionals, but from the top, you really can't tell too much of a difference and if someone is that close to my ring, I have other problems! I got a great price on the stones, so I'm happy with the outcome. I have the two stones they removed and the damage is pretty ugly. BUT.... I think if I put them into some milgrainted bezels setting earrings for my second hole, I can still use them. I am going to save my money for the settings so that the stones don't go unloved (cause they sure as heck aren't sellable!).

I took some pics out in the sun today. Not the best, but I never seem to be able to get the show stopper pics everyone else gets.

Before I forget- stats:

Approx 1.5 ctw
SI1
4 G's, 1 H
Size 5

IMG_6039.JPG

IMG_6040.JPG

IMG_6043.JPG

IMG_6044.JPG

April20

Ideal_Rock
A few more.

IMG_6045.JPG

IMG_6046.JPG

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its BEAUTIFUL April!!! :appl: :love: Looks gorgeous on you! wonderful - and I'm glad you are happy with it and it's sooner than 20 years!
(Great shots, too, BTW)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
love it- the U prong profile is stunning :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! :love: So glad you were able to replace the damaged stones! Old stones often have very thin girdles and are just more prone to chipping. They are much safer when set in bezels.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful Apri!!! Looks sooo pretty on your hand - I'm so happy things worked out for you!

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
It look substantial on your finger~!! Very nice

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is awesome... So glad you were able to fix! Beautiful on your hand! :appl:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
gorgeous! love the coverage, it looks great on you!! :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Great ring! :love: :appl:

cheers--Sharon

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very pretty! Love the u-prong setting!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all! I am really enjoying wearing it!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the idea for the 2 'underwhelming' OEC's - that they will have new life as bezeled studs for your 2nd piercing! Looking forward to seeing them soon :naughty: :Up_to_something:

(do not misinterpret that as enabling.... read it as "encouragement"! :tongue: )

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
It's gorgeous! I love that it has oec/transition cut diamonds. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results