shape
carat
color
clarity

My new supah-fancy alexandrite (?) ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so I don''t know how supah-fancy this really is. Or even if it is an alexandrite! On the last day of our honeymoon my hubby suggested I buy a souvenir. Not being one to buy a lot of "stuff" for around the house, and being a good PS-er I headed right to the jewelry stores. After browsing a few stores this caught my attention. The color of the stone matched the color of the ocean in that part of Mexico and I just loved the way it looked on my hand.

The guy claimed that it is a lab created alexandrite, but it seems awfully green and it doesn''t do any of the color shifting I''d expect. It is set in rhodium plated silver.

Price? Well, at first he wanted $1200 pesos but he made me a special offer of $750. I said it was too much and walked out the door.

He chased me down and asked what I would be willing to pay. We went back in the store and I said I only had $500 pesos with me. Nope, he wanted $600. So I turned and walked out a second time. Again he chased me down and said OK to the deal.

$500 pesos is about $35USD, so I think I got a pretty good deal.
31.gif

It isn''t the best stone but I really do love it. Reminds me of the beautiful green blue water we spent so much time in, and I smile every time I look at it.

playaring1.jpg

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Sorry the photos are dark.

playaring2.jpg

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I''ll try and get better pics tomorrow.

playaring3.jpg

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Last one for tonight.

playaring4.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol at your negotiating! I love the color of it though! So does it change color at all?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
OK, so he claimed that it''s a synthetic alexandrite set in rhodium plated silver and still asked 1200$ for it?!!!!! No comment.

P. S. Synthetics are not allowed for discussion here, but since you really don''t know what it is...
2.gif

P. P. S. The ring is really pretty, whatever the stone is.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not $1200. 1200 PESOS. That''s around $90.

She had 500 pesos on her. 500 pesos is around $35.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Yep, pesos - not dollars! Big big difference!

I know synthetics are not allowed here. I forgot to mention that I''m about 99.99% sure it is a real "something", just not sure if that something is alexandrite or not. It has eye visible inclusions, and after he told me it was lab created his boss yelled at him, in Spanish, that all the stones in that area of the store are real. Good thing I understand Spanish! Speak it, not well. But my understanding is top notch! The boss also told him the lowest price he could take which is why I knew my offer of 500 pesos would be ok.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Sorry - I got confused by all the $ signs
9.gif

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
It''s gorgeous! I love the color, and for $35 bucks honestly - how can you lose - whatever it is, it''s beautiful!! (great souvenir, and great story!)
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 3:15:34 AM
Author: EricaR
Yep, pesos - not dollars! Big big difference!

I know synthetics are not allowed here. I forgot to mention that I''m about 99.99% sure it is a real ''something'', just not sure if that something is alexandrite or not. It has eye visible inclusions, and after he told me it was lab created his boss yelled at him, in Spanish, that all the stones in that area of the store are real. Good thing I understand Spanish! Speak it, not well. But my understanding is top notch! The boss also told him the lowest price he could take which is why I knew my offer of 500 pesos would be ok.
Definitely won''t be a real Alex I''m afraid - it would be thousands of dollars a carat in that colour and size.

Can you describe the inclusions? Do they look like little bubbles, or curved lines? Also are the facet edges rounded or sharp?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m with Pandora that there''s no way it''ll be a real Alexandrite. If it is, it would have cost a couple thousand US dollars. Might be a synthetic or coated stone for that price.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a nice color and it would be interesting to find out what it is. Maybe your local jeweler could tell you?

Good job negotiating on price.

TFS!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty color! As long as you love it, that''s all that matters.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the art of negotiation! What a lovely souvenier and it will always remind you of your vacation and the beautiful ocean!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 9:13:15 AM
Author: MonkeyPie
Very pretty color! As long as you love it, that''s all that matters.

Ditto, and a lovely memory of your honeymoon too.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Could it be a topaz?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry this is another "that''s not an Alex" comment. It''s too blue and you''d have trouble photographing the green if it was an Alex (or even an Alex doublet). It does look suspiciously like Topaz. At a push it could be Apatite also.

Whatever it is, for $35 you''ve got a bargain and a lovely reminder of your honeymoon.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I just went to Peter Torraca''s site and found out that there is color change GLASS! Yeah that''s a new one on me. Maybe that''s what you''ve got? But it is a pretty ring and the color of the center stone is lovely.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Whatever type of stone it is, it is certainly gorgeous and I''m sure it will always help you remember your honeymoon fondly
1.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic that it perfectly catches the color of the ocean where you were. So pleasing that you don''t have to take out insurance on it, a perfect souvenir!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results