shape
carat
color
clarity

My new Spess ring from Starlanka!!!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh it’s fabulous!!! What other projects do you have apart from the sapphire?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it’s fabulous!!! What other projects do you have apart from the sapphire?

Sapphire is my last project for this year. I should clarify that one is with a different vendor. I may live to regret it but it is a really budget project.

I'm contemplating a blue zircon project, green tourmaline or big baby pink tourmaline.

Part of me feels like I'm accumulating too many tourmalines but they are BIG! And I have so many designs I want to do with BIG stones! I just simply don't have the money to spend on one of the big 3 in the 8 ct sizes that I love (seriously the argument that I should drop all my projects to buy one stone is moot because all my projects will not cover one 8ct sapphire, ruby etc).

Anyhow, that was probably way more ranting than you needed to know!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pssst

Anyone knows if spess is very dense? I mean it's big but not as big as I imagined. I googled an 8ct diamond and that is 13mm

All the Spess I've seen is consistently smaller face up than diamonds. Is it a corundum situation where it's not as big as the carat weight?

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Pssst

Anyone knows if spess is very dense? I mean it's big but not as big as I imagined. I googled an 8ct diamond and that is 13mm

All the Spess I've seen is consistently smaller face up than diamonds. Is it a corundum situation where it's not as big as the carat weight?

Yes, like corundum.

Garnets (and corundum) are dense minerals. Specific gravities: spess about 4.2, diamond about 3.5.

Also, diamonds are usually cut shallower. The higher refractive index gives a lower [edited, mistakenly wrote higher at first] critical angle, so the pavilion can be less steep.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, like corundum.

Garnets (and corundum) are dense minerals. Specific gravities: spess about 4.2, diamond about 3.5.

Also, diamonds are usually cut shallower. The higher refractive index gives a higher critical angle, so the pavilion can be less steep.

Thank you! I was wondering if I'd gone mad because they kept looking smaller than I thought they would be based on the weight.

Somehow I only attributed the smaller face up situation to corundum!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Soooooo pretty and what a unique color combo! :kiss2:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous color on that spess!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Out to lunch today! Wearing it with the glowing snot on the right hand :p

PXL_20221021_012030049.jpg PXL_20221021_012032144.jpg PXL_20221021_035018395.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl I was going to vote for a nice and sparkly blue zirzon next, then I change my vote to all in because a nice green tourmaline and a pale pink tourmaline is also on my wishlist. :lol-2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl I was going to vote for a nice and sparkly blue zirzon next, then I change my vote to all in because a nice green tourmaline and a pale pink tourmaline is also on my wishlist. :lol-2:

Ooh please update us if you get something!!! I'm seriously on a break for a while!!! Got to save up for the next flamboyant setting!!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Ooh please update us if you get something!!! I'm seriously on a break for a while!!! Got to save up for the next flamboyant setting!!!
I'm waiting for you to make another one :lol-2:, I am no good with designs and still don't know what to do with existing stones.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your gorgeous ring! I always worry about custom projects not turning out how I wanted and it sounds like this one was a perfect result. It’s so you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results