shape
carat
color
clarity

My new setting is here! Round halo, subtle split shank

Maevemarie

Rough_Rock
My new lovely is here! Original post with CAD drawing if you scroll down is on this link:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/subtle-split-shank.189537/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/subtle-split-shank.189537/[/URL]

I love how it sparkles, love the overall look BUT I'm worried that the stone is set too high. I let the local jewelers know that I really wanted it as low as possible. They call me before setting it and let me know that they can always set it lower, but they can't raise it. So I told them to use their best judgement. I'm going to wear it a couple of weeks and decide. I just worry that they designed the setting for the stone to be this height and if I lower it then less of the halo will show. What do you guys think??? I already emailed them to ask their advice on this. I haven't taken photos with my wedding band cause I don't think they work together very well and may wear it alone or eventually invest in another band to match.

Some info on my stone and the setting!

Diamond is 2.22 ct, 8.48 mm round

Setting:
Halo is 1.3 mm
Split shanks are 1.5 mm
Single shank is 2.2 mm

Finger size: 4.75

Pics below (fancy camera wasn't available, so not the best quality)

ring_on_hand.jpg

ring_69.jpg

ring_70.jpg

ring_angle.jpg

Maevemarie

Rough_Rock
Simple on the side

ring_circle.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely beautiful! Love the diamonds going around the band :love:

Give the usual halo look a unique style :appl:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous--well done!! :appl: :appl:
sarahb

Maevemarie

Rough_Rock
Thank you!!! I always loved checking out rings on this site and it really helped me decide what I love. I think I do want the stone set down as much as possible without overlapping the halo.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! It is really beautiful. I bet is sparkles a lot!

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
I think your ring is incredibly lovely, congratulations!

As for the issue of height of the centre diamond that you asked about - I personally have always preferred the centre diamond raised a little - I think it gives the main stone more presence, makes the profile look nicer and perhaps even helps with letting more light into the stone.

However it is a matter of how much height... I personally would prefer it just a little lower than you have it, but I still think as it is it still looks nice. Whether it is worth trying to lower it is a personal choice issue - how are you feeling about it having worn it for a while?

Did your jeweller get back to you about the issue of hiding the halo more if it was lowered?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your ring looks beautiful, Maevemarie!! I think that subtle split shank is a beautiful feature! and the halo - perfectly proportioned for your diamond!! Well done!!

If you are not happy with the height of the diamond, and you've worn it and still have those niggling thoughts in the back of your mind, can your jeweller lower it for you a bit, not all the way, but a bit more? maybe lower in stages? It makes total sense what they told you - they can set it higher but they cant make it higher if they set it lower (at least for all the jewelry making I do, it makes sense - ;)) )

I would imagine your guy wants you to be happy because a satisfied customer is the best advertising ... so if it were me, I'd go back and ask for a slight modification by lowering the centre stone.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do!! :))

Maevemarie

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the feedback. I like the idea of lowering it in stages if needed. They have really been very accommodating as far as allowing me to lower it and discuss any changes needed. I decided to try to wear it a couple of weeks, although I think I am set on trying to lower it a bit more. Thank you for the compliment on the halo size! I didn't want it to overpower the center stone:) I truly wouldnt have known what halo sizes to compare it to if it wasn't for pricescope browsing:)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you did an amazing job selecting the different melee sizes! It's really appealing to my sense of desired halo design :love:

I'm glad you've been wearing it as is for a bit. Sometimes it's better to start that way, then you know for certain when you are ready for changes. Try a mm lower to start. It would never block the halo but it will minimize the airline. Some love air lines, some don't.. I'm a don't person, so that would be a concern of mine.

Sounds like they are open to modifications too, so that relieves some pressure on you! Good luck, keep us posted!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
In the side view of your ring there is an airline showing so it is set higher. Unless you wanted this look. Ideally the diamond should be resting on/ right next to the halo so there should not be an airline present. I would have them lower it. If it warps the size of the halo (diamond covers the halo) then it should be re-made so the diamond fits correctly.

I hope that helps!
Otherwise it is a lovely ring and I really love the subtle split shank.

Maevemarie

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I did express with them over and over how I wanted the diamond as flush as possible to the halo. Then when they wanted to set it slightly up cause they thought I might like it. So I will definitely talk with them about how/if this will effect the view of the halo. I have a couple of fun events this week and am just not ready to give it back yet for the lowering!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did I manage to miss this - your ring is really gorgeous!!! :love: I'm curious as to whether you ever had the stone lowered.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful. I would have it lowered, too!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is absolutely gorgeous!!

Maevemarie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the interest! I actually did recently drop it off to get it lowered and will get it back today. I'm a bit nervous! I asked them to make it as flush as possible. Also, my previous setting will have a pink/purple tourmaline bezel set. I will post pics of both :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maevemarie|1374326029|3486679 said:
Thanks for the interest! I actually did recently drop it off to get it lowered and will get it back today. I'm a bit nervous! I asked them to make it as flush as possible. Also, my previous setting will have a pink/purple tourmaline bezel set. I will post pics of both :appl:

Ah, ok! Thanks for the update, as I said I was just genuinely curious. I think it's going to look great. How odd I asked just as you are about to get it back! :D Please let us know what you think! Looking forward to pics! :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know how I missed this beauty!! I love it!!

As far as the height concern... I would have them lower the diamond a bit so that it's more "resting" in the halo. This will also provide a little more protection for the girdle. :bigsmile:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1371473173|3467289 said:
In the side view of your ring there is an airline showing so it is set higher. Unless you wanted this look. Ideally the diamond should be resting on/ right next to the halo so there should not be an airline present. I would have them lower it. If it warps the size of the halo (diamond covers the halo) then it should be re-made so the diamond fits correctly.

I hope that helps!
Otherwise it is a lovely ring and I really love the subtle split shank.

I agree with SB621... but I don't think it will cover the halo if it's lowered just slightly. My diamond is set so that the girdle is barely exposed on top of the halo. At first, I thought I wanted to have them raise it some. However, after knocking this ring on anything and everything around, I am soooooo glad it's set a little lower and more securely. ;))

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Your split shank ring is gorgeous. It's so bright white and shiny. I also like low set stones - maybe lower it halfway down from where it is now? That way it hovers above the halo but does not sit flush with it. ...Man, I wish I had skinnier fingers so my ring would have better coverage like yours...simply perfect!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results