shape
carat
color
clarity

My new Sapphire, a real beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gotgold

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure if I can attach the video to this page, I'm new here. But here's the video

[Link removed by Moderator- FORUM VIOLATION]

about 15ct, light blue with a little purple hue. Very beautiful- when full sunlight is out bright the star is much sharper than it is now.

enjoy, very hard to find a gem of this quality these days.

I see a similar ring on Cherrypicked for $30k! a few cts bigger. What a shock, I guess I really did get a good deal!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very nice! Does the cert say anything about treatments?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it certified? For something that large and looks like that, I''d want to know if it has been treated.

Gotgold

Rough_Rock
it isn''t certified but I had it looked at by 2 reputable gemologists, and the guy I bought it from doesn''t mess around. He hated selling it to me for the price.

The color is too inconsistent to be dyed, it has typical sapphire banding and if they were to dye it I''d think they''d choose a darker color (it''s a rather light blue/purple in person)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Sapphires aren''t dyed, that''s something used for lapis, turquoise or onyx for example - sapphire''s color would be altered by either heat or chemical treatment (or a combination of both), which is something that can''t be detected just by looking (you need lab tests to determine those). Some treatments also increase the sharpness of the star, making it more regular and distinct. Don''t get me wrong, I don''t want to spoil the fun, just make sure you got exactly what you paid for.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second that Mr Ma Re has posted. Usually for stones that cost a lot and are commonly treated or have synthetics, I prefer to have lab certification, even from a trusted vendor. For something like a garnet or tourmaline (with a few exceptions) where there is no treatment, I’m all right without a lab certification. To check for some of the treatments (or lack of) requires pretty sophisticated equipment that not all GGs will have at their disposal.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
The star looks nice and strong..very nice stone!!!!!

Gotgold

Rough_Rock
I usually pick up stones very cheap, I know you''re all going to be skeptical and say "why would people sell stones for less than their worth?"

Simply because they either- don''t know what they have, don''t care, or are selling it for someone else.

I picked up an 18k, diamond cluster and sapphire ring for $300. Gold value is $275 on it.

Picked up an approx 30ct flawless green tourmaline (a bit dark, but visibly green) set in 18k for $500, gold value is $350.

Picked up 60-100 (haven''t counted) bright mexican and australian fire opals, already cabbed for $50 (for all), all approx .5-2ct each.

Picked up a K vs1 1ct round transitional for $1000.

Picked up a peach tourmaline for $250 in a platinum setting with diamond accents.

I wonder if anyone hates me yet...? Should I keep going?

82 gram 18k gold gubelin ladies wrist watch / bracelet with diamond accents, braided- $4.

Large Lapis cab on a 14k white gold ring (unmarked) for $20, great dark blue Lapis.

Gem quality bright australian opal $20/ct, was cracked in a ring, had it recut into 2 pieces- $150/ct material.

Hate me now? LOL.

Back on topic...

I will take your advice and have the star checked professionally, but I really don''t believe it has any treating considering how light the sapphire is, I''m sure they would go for a darker color.

As for the star being sharpened, I doubt it- two points of the star are a bit short for the cut, if it had been sharpened I''d assume they would be longer (Though I may be wrong.)

Gotgold

Rough_Rock
Right, forgot- sapphires are heated. My mistake.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Are all those pieces appraised? If they are...have you thought about playing some lottery - with your luck of finding clueless jewellery sellers translated into it, you''d win a jackpot right away
9.gif

Gotgold

Rough_Rock
I've been dealing jewelry for about 10 years now (since I was a little kid) I can pretty much tell you the value of what I buy, but I usually have it confirmed by gemologists that I know.

Lottery is no good, what I do takes skill. :razz:

The sapphire ring with diamonds was appraised by Sothebies at $3000-$5000
I was offered $3500 for the Gubelin watch when ladies watches were hot (Should've taken it.)
Sold the K vs 1ct for $1500 for a quick profit.

The other pieces don't really need appraisal, I can tell synthetic opal vs real, as well as tourmaline, etc.
But, the peach tourmaline miiight just be a sapphire, I'm calling it peach tourmaline because that's what I want it to be.
31.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I just start by saying that I hope your star sapphire proves to be untreated/unheated. However, when you have a sapphire of that colour with a very well centered, sharp star, it can be an indication that the sapphire has been heated with other elements to actually produce the asterism. This is being seen more commonly now (unfortunately) and typically the sharpness of the star gives it away. Please do get it sent to a lab - that's the only way to know. In the UK you can pick up star sapphires and star rubies for an incredibly low price i.e. £150 for a 3-4ct stone set in rings/pendants with accent diamonds etc

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotgold,
I don't hate you. I am a bargain hunter myself. Usually the best bargains in the jewelry world are on second hand gems and jewelry, in particular diamonds.

I hope your stone turns out to be an authentic, natural and unheated star sapphire!!
31.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 12:35:08 PM
Author: Gotgold

But, the peach tourmaline miiight just be a sapphire, I''m calling it peach tourmaline because that''s what I want it to be.
31.gif

No one here hates you- just want to make sure you are not "wasting" money. Why would you rather peach tourmaline than sapphire?? Fairly certain sapph would be more valuable.

Gotgold

Rough_Rock
Richard, the best way to explain how the back of the sapphire looks is to post a picture from an ebay auction, exactly like this:

Looks like it was shaped and never buffed. I hope the pic works.

ssa0004f.jpg

Gotgold

Rough_Rock
And Ice kid- I''m partial to tourmaline myself, Faceted sapphires don''t do much for me.

Gotgold

Rough_Rock
Update: Showed it to my favorite gemologist, he said it's 100% real, not heated, enhanced- etc. He said the growth lines in the stone are very typical of a star sapphire that was cut out of a larger crystal. He also said it's one of the finest examples he's seen- he did say it could be a bit deeper blue. :razz:

He put my mind at ease, I was worried a bit about the growth lines, they go directly across the stone and don't angle off at all. I'm used to seeing the growth lines go off at an angle.

Well, all good! I figure it's worth about 5x what I paid.

Gotgoldies is a happy rockhound.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW I never have luck looking for second hand jewelry. Usually there is something wrong with it or they''ve priced it as high as Internet dealers sell new for. Ah well, TFS.

Gotgold

Rough_Rock
You have to be very diligent and patient when you look for second hand, or just know uninformed dealers- I know some dealers who don''t know anything besides gold marks and what passes their diamond tester. The guy showed me a citrine and asked what it was. I bought it for $100, sold it 5 mins later for $300 (victorian piece, citrine needed to be buffed.)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results