shape
carat
color
clarity

my new ring - many questions!

Xanthoria

Rough_Rock
Hi all

I have been very lucky to receive a lovely engagement ring that has been in the family since the 1920s. The main stone is a 2.14ct F color VS1 with a rough girdle. It has 3 baguettes and 2 tiny diamonds on each side, all of similar quality, and all set in platinum. We had it appraised for insurance – yikes! More than I’d ever spend! :shock:

How does having a rough girdle affect the value? I like it, as it adds character and I know it’s “our stone”

Ditto culet – it has a little one. How does that affect things?

I read that the brilliant cut was invented in 1919, so this would be an early version of that cut. The table is 54% and the total depth 58.8%. I found it interesting to compare all the various brilliant cut dimensions I saw listed on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_cut#Proportions

Does the cut ratio affect value via the amount of fire produced, or are those dimensions added purely for identification?

The appraisal did not mention the quality of the cut – is that normal? It’s certainly a lovely stone so no complaints at all from me!

Also, the platinum is quite worn – we are told it needs to be either completely rebuilt or patched. We are opting for the latter – can anyone show me before and after pics of a ring that’s been similarly fixed up? I worry it’ll look… patchy…? lumpy?

I got it sized down 2.5 sizes. What happens to the platinum removed from a ring in this instance? I am sure it’s not much use to me but I asked if the jeweler could use that to patch the sides and he laughed. I guess it’s not done!

Lastly, the ring lives at the bank. Kind of a bummer, but there you go. People tell me to just wear it... but what if I get mugged! Should I get a replica made in CZ or just wear the darn thing? Anyone recommend an insurance company?

Well thanks for any input!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS!

First, best wishes on your engagement!

It sounds like you know the stone's specs--F, VS1, 2.14 ct, table and depth %--so does that mean it is certified? If so, does the certificate have a cut grade?

If the stone isn't certified, and if you really want to know exactly what you have and what it's worth, you could send the loose stone to GIA for certification. Especially since it sounds like you'll be having the setting worked on, this might be a nice time to get the stone certified if that's something you want.

Do you have any pictures of this ring? I'd love to see it!!!!

I look forward to reading what the experts have to say about patching a platinum setting. I don't know much about that.

Xanthoria

Rough_Rock
Haven|1315507645|3012861 said:
It sounds like you know the stone's specs--F, VS1, 2.14 ct, table and depth %--so does that mean it is certified? If so, does the certificate have a cut grade?

No it's not certified - its been in the family since the 1920s so didn't come with a certificate or any real reason to get one I guess? The dimensions and so on came from the appraiser...?

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
2.5 sizes is only a few millimeters worth of platinum, and if it's down at the bottom of your shank, where the wear is heaviest (and hence the band its thinnest) that's not very much metal, certainly not enough to patch with. But the eventual patch should be invisible when it's finished and look as smooth and finished as the originial. Be prepared, though, if it needs patching due to wear, it will be a little wider than the thinned out size it is currently, and the width is to ensure the structural integrity.

Wear it! Insure it and wear it! USAA is great if you can get it, best of luck and congratulations!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
post photos!! you should definitely wear it...sounds stunning. Insure it and you wont have to worry.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh baby... we need pics, big time!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results