shape
carat
color
clarity

My new ring from Wink...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

boje60

Rough_Rock
After months of planning my new Alexandrite and pink diamond ring arrived on Friday. It is everything that I had hoped for and more.
For as long as I can remember I have dreamed of having an Alexandrite ring. Finally my budget allowed me to purchase one.
After reading so many positive posts about Wink on the forums I decided to contact him. The stone that I obtained from Wink is .84ct, VS quality with a color change from a "tourmaline" green to a rasberry purple depending on the light source.
Next, I decided that I wanted to use pink diamonds around the stone. Rather than using white diamonds I wanted it to be a little different. After describing to Wink the color pink that I was looking for as well as the size, he was able to source the stones for me. I won''t bore you with the details of the many e-mails back and forth in the designing of the ring, but Wink totally understood my vision for this ring and ultimately was able to make my vision a reality.
I can''t say enough about working with Wink and Sheila. They are true "gems". I can only speak from my experience, but I don''t think there is anyone in this business that is more honorable or caring than Wink. He really came through for me!
Wink, if you are out there lurking, can you please post the pictures of my new ring so I don''t have to figure out how to do it.
Thanks!
Bonnie

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am remiss in not getting these posted for you sooner, but here are the pictures of your ring...

You will notice the high polish of a Mark Morrell piece, I wish I could have gotten a good photo of the color change of this beautiful alexandrite!

Wink

compositedavidson.jpg

nicstn

Shiny_Rock
Wow that is beauitful! Enjoy your ring and wear it in good health.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring! I LOVE Alexandrite and pink diamonds are always good
2.gif
I'm hoping to get an Alexandrite pendant one of these days, and I just think I'll have to contact Wink! Again, beautiful stones and setting!
love.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Beautiful! I wonder from where Wink procured this stone--I understood that genuine Alexandrites were few and far between. Russian royalty perhaps????
2.gif

cheers
slb

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Finally!

The ring looks gorgeous. Oddly enough, the stone looks a bit crooked to me, but I think that's just the photo. Wear it proudly!

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
A very cool ring indeed.
10.gif
Alexandrite is a fascinating stone with it's ability to change color in different lighting. Congrats!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 6/9/2004 4:33:02 PM canuk-gal wrote:

HI:

Beautiful! I wonder from where Wink procured this stone--I understood that genuine Alexandrites were few and far between. Russian royalty perhaps????
2.gif

cheers
slb ----------------
Ve haff our sources... (und vays of making you talk)

Yes, they are relatively rare, but there are now sources to those of us who know the right people to call. They are not cheap, but they can be wonderful!

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 6/9/2004 4:50:07 PM Hest88 wrote:

Finally!

The ring looks gorgeous. Oddly enough, the stone looks a bit crooked to me, but I think that's just the photo. Wear it proudly!----------------

Actually the stone, like most expensive colored stones, was cut for weight retention and is slightly off shapen rather than a perfect symmetrical shape. Part of the artisan ship of Mark Morrell was that he was able to set the stone in such a way that the prongs looked straight to the ring, especially with the eye, while the stone is partially obscured by the prongs. To the eye this ring looks perfect, but photos can make every little blemish seem major.

We talked to Richard Homer about the possibility of recutting this stone, but he recommended against it. He is such an honest cutter that he will share with you when he feels he can improve a stone, and when he feels the risk of not improving the stone is too high.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hehe! Mark starts working on his finish at the beginning of each project. Every step of the way, how will this affect the final polish, is part of his concern and planning.

I have encouraged him to take some apprentices to lighten his load and he tells me that it is impossible to get them to pay attention and to do what he does so that they will end up with the high polish that he acheives. With one or two notable exceptions they all take the easy way and end up with nice, rather than WOW!

If I were a young benchman, I would study with Mark, or someone like him, and become really anal about the final polish, it makes such an incredible difference.

One of the things that he does and that I quickly adopted here, is to never touch the finished piece with bare skin. When he takes the ring from the final clean and steam he holds it only with clean white cotton gloves on. When we receive a package from him, the gloves go on while we remove the item from the package, while we do the appraisal, and while we put it into the box. When the giver comes in, he gets a pair of gloves to wear while he looks at the ring. Only the recipient is allowed to be the first to touch it when she receives the ring, hopefully in a romantic setting.

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results