shape
carat
color
clarity

My new red spinel!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Deedaa

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone.

Although I am generally a lurker, I''d like to thank everyone for sharing their wonderful gemstones. I has become somewhat of an obsession for me over the past few months and I have to say I''m loving it! I came here to look at diamonds originally, but now bring on the colour.

I have just received a fabulous red spinel from Ed at Wild Fish Gems (wildfishgems.com). I am totally in love with it, and now I have one I know it will not be enough (my bank balance hurts already). I''ve attached the picture of the stone from the web site, I will try and take some of my own later but my camera is pretty ordinary. It is quite a deep red but has great flashes of colour. It is inclusion free and a touch under 2 carats. There is maybe a slight window but with the depth of colour I''m happy with it.

I have to give my thanks to Ed as the stone was so beautifully packaged, but the best part is that it came with a loupe and a set of gem tweezers in a little satin bag. How great is that, I was so happy when I saw it and it made the stone feel extra special (silly, I know).

So here is my dilemma. I was originally after a cushion to set in a legacy-style setting. Now I have an oval I wanted to ask for opinions on how you would set it in a ring?

rrs198-b.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
It is a lovely colour!

I don''t know if this helps, and it probably sounds kind of dumb, but here''s what I did:

When I saw a diamond ring I liked, I printed it off and coloured in the centre stone like it was a sapphire. That helped me visualize the ratios between the diamonds and the gemstone.

There are so many choices out there for you! Enjoy the quest!

LS

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
That''s one beautiful spinel!

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
wow!! that spinel is so beautiful!! i definitely love that color set in yellow gold, i think i''d like it most in a simple yellow gold four-prong setting with a really thin band. i think ovals are so beautiful alone!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
It''s lovely! Wonderful color. As for the setting- everyone here has their own preferences, LOL. Do you like halos? Solitaires? etc...

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very nice stone!

As for setting, there are so many things to consider that you''re guaranteed some sleepless nights in the weeks to come
9.gif

Not to bother you with too long of a post, I''d suggest first deciding on style and design basics; modern/antique, traditional/extravagant, simple/more decorated, symmetric/asymmetrical... Choices are endless. When you''re done with it, take a look at what looks best on your fingers - people too often neglect how a piece looks when worn, and get something that is beautiful while in a jewellery box, but not while they''re wearing it. That should give you some design guidelines. Depending on how big jewellery you usually wear, stone of this size can make a solitaire ring, a three stone ring or something completely diferent. Color combinations are also numerous - you can have it alone, just surrounded with diamonds, or get another color in combination (making sure it''s pastel so it doesen''t steal the show).

Have fun
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the spinel has a darker tone, I''d opt for a more open setting to allow more light into the stone (to get more red flash). No bezels. A halo is fine if the spinel is set slightly higher than the surrounding diamonds.

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
That''s such a nice rich red! I''d set it in something simple like an x-prong solitaire or if you wanted a little extra flash a nice 3 stone setting - in yellow gold though no matter what since it would compliment the color of the stone so well.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, it''s gorgeous. I''d put it in a YG ring with diamonds.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 11:24:46 PM
Author: marcyc
Ooh, it''s gorgeous. I''d put it in a YG ring with diamonds.

Ditto, a halo with diamonds
9.gif

Deedaa

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I understand the recommendation for yellow gold, but I am really a white metal person. I''m pretty keen on either a halo, or a three stone setting with pear shaped side stones. There is just too many options, and every time I see a setting that looks good with a different shaped or coloured stone I add that to the shopping list. I get the feeling it will never end :)

This stone is a bit darker but still unmistakably red.I would describe it as blood red. I was kind of keen for a bezel setting but I think this might not show it off.

There is just so much to think about!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 12:28:56 AM
Author: Deedaa
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I understand the recommendation for yellow gold, but I am really a white metal person. I''m pretty keen on either a halo, or a three stone setting with pear shaped side stones. There is just too many options, and every time I see a setting that looks good with a different shaped or coloured stone I add that to the shopping list. I get the feeling it will never end :)

This stone is a bit darker but still unmistakably red.I would describe it as blood red. I was kind of keen for a bezel setting but I think this might not show it off.

There is just so much to think about!
If you''re keen on white metal at least think about a yellow gold setting on a white gold shank. Color of the setting influences color of the stone, and in the case of a darker one it might make it look blackish, and add a colder tone to it, while yellow metal would make it look warmer and a bit lighter - depends which look you want to achieve.

What kind of outline you like and which wears better on your fingers is also something to consider. You mention either halo or a three stone with pear sides. Well, outline you''d get with one is completely diferent from the other one. A halo setting would make the whole thing look more vertical, taking more space along the finger. If you have long fingers I''d say go for it; if you don''t, I''d say stay out of it. In that case you''re much better off with a side stone ring which, with it''s horizontal outline, generally works better on shorter fingers, since it occupies less space along their lenght.

If you opt for side dish...I mean stones, make sure they''re not too small - a mistake people make very often, turning side stones into accent stones. And on a 2 carat stone they''d need to be quite large, with their width equalling about a half of center stone''s lenght. Therefore, trilliant cut sides might be a good idea, due to a rather elongated outlline of pears as opposed to their, which is more wide, and the overall look would be almost the same. So you need to consider if your fingers, as well as your budget, can carry it
1.gif
Another thing to consider with side stones is the level of brilliance. Larger side stones, if we''re talking diamonds, can be more brilliant than the center stone, which should be avoided, cause center stone should always take the center stage.

Definatelly don''t go with a bezel setting, but if you love the look so much a flush setting might not be such a bad idea since it doesen''t close down the stone as much (but still, prongs are better than either of those).

Anyway, I just wanted to point some important stuff up, now it''s all up to you
9.gif

P. S. That flood of ideas you mentioned - it will never stop, take my word for it! The more you wait, the more ideas you get and you never get the thing done, so it''s best to give yourself a deadline or something
1.gif

Deedaa

Rough_Rock
Wow ma re, thank you for all those tips. I''ll probably think about it before I jump right in. I have short stubby fingers so I''m going to hit the shops on the weekend and try out a few styles for ideas. Also, I appreciate the guide for the size of side stones if I go that way, I was wondering if there is a rule of thumb in picking them.

Here are another couple of pictures. This one is of the stone (the best my poor camera can manage). I think I might need to invest in a new camera before any more gems.

deedaa001.JPG

Deedaa

Rough_Rock
And here is the stuff Wilf Fish Gems sent me with the stone, just cause I think it was very nice of them. I wonder if they deliberately matched the satin bags to the colour of the stone.

deedaa002.JPG

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Deedaa that''s lovely! I love the deep intense color - stunning!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results