shape
carat
color
clarity

My new OEC e-ring

elizabethtwrs

Rough_Rock
I've just purchased an OEC for my e-ring. On paper the specs are great, high color high clarity G VS. It's supposed to cut beautifully too, nice and flowery. Although I'm not sure if the translation to reality is really appealing to my eyes? In shaded light it shoots out the most beautiful pastels, but under direct diffused sunlight and office lighting it seems to be moody all the time, which is the environment I am in most of the time. I feel like I really ought to be loving the stone irl, but not sure if I am not the flowery type maybe. What do you all think of the stone?

_28709.jpg

_28710.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Graded G color by what lab? It looks pretty to me in the pictures, but did you look at round brilliants also and decide you liked OECs better? Regardless, you don't sound like you love the diamond. I'd return it and wait until you find something that you totally LOVE.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
Graded G color by what lab? It looks pretty to me in the pictures, but did you look at round brilliants also and decide you liked OECs better? Regardless, you don't sound like you love the diamond. I'd return it and wait until you find something that you totally LOVE.

+1

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
Regardless, you don't sound like you love the diamond. I'd return it and wait until you find something that you totally LOVE.

+1. I have an AVC that I absolutely love so I thought for sure I would love an oec so I had one sent to me and I found out that it was not for me. Waaay too moody and I was constantly questioning cut quality ....is that fish eye, is that leakage..... I had to send it back.....and I honestly could not appreciate/see the flowery pattern. So I went with a MRB instead, though I hope to one day own an AVR. :naughty:
But I have to add, that I think they are gorgeous oecs out there, you just have to know what to look for and have lots of patience to find the right one!! ;)) It can be done....or you can get a AVR :naughty:

elizabethtwrs

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1428465543|3858362 said:

GIA. I definitely prefer old cuts compared to MRBs, not a fan of the splintery look of MRBs. This stone is perfect in terms of color, clarity and size, just feeling a bit meh that my eyes aren't loving the cut even though it is a beautiful stone. I've seen some other stones that are a little more transitional which I loved, but not the right size/specs. My FI is getting quite tired of this process though and wants me to pick a stone and have a ring asap. I'm in a dillema as to whether to just keep this stone for the convenience factor, it is pretty enough but just not WOW to me.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1 i you are not thrilled now, the elements that bug you will probably start bugging you more if you keep it.
Personally I am a huge fan of OEC and there are beautiful ones out there.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
elizabethtwrs|1428467990|3858375 said:

GIA. I definitely prefer old cuts compared to MRBs, not a fan of the splintery look of MRBs. This stone is perfect in terms of color, clarity and size, just feeling a bit meh that my eyes aren't loving the cut even though it is a beautiful stone. I've seen some other stones that are a little more transitional which I loved, but not the right size/specs. My FI is getting quite tired of this process though and wants me to pick a stone and have a ring asap. I'm in a dillema as to whether to just keep this stone for the convenience factor, it is pretty enough but just not WOW to me.

As DS and others have mentioned there is something about the stone that you are not liking... so change it whilst you can.
it sounds like you are after a transitional stone and not an OEC... So, look for one in the specs that you like. it will take some time as the old cuts are hard to come by.

In the meantime, could you rock a CZ solitaire till the right stone comes about? This way you will have a ring and save you the money whilst searching for THE stone.

elizabethtwrs

Rough_Rock
gregchang35|1428472326|3858401 said:
As DS and others have mentioned there is something about the stone that you are not liking... so change it whilst you can.
it sounds like you are after a transitional stone and not an OEC... So, look for one in the specs that you like. it will take some time as the old cuts are hard to come by.

In the meantime, could you rock a CZ solitaire till the right stone comes about? This way you will have a ring and save you the money whilst searching for THE stone.

I totally could rock a CZ but it's not acceptable to the FI. He wants me to start wearing a proper ring asap, and has been increasingly frustrated by the search process. At this stage I think the grief this is causing him may not be worth waiting for THE rock, and I could just live with whatever stone. I'm also not entirely confident that I can actually find a stone that fits all the specs I'm looking for with the cut I like, if it even exists at all. I think I would also feel quite bad to return this to the vendor as the vendor went the extra mile for me in getting this stone...

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fair enough, but please do realize that it's a costly decision you are making and one that spans a long timeframe. Could you perhaps discuss with the vendor whether he has more stones that meet your expectations. The vendor probably wants you to be happy, so you will recommend him, come back for a wedding ring etc.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
where do you live? Can you go into a diamond district in your area and try on tons of different rings?

chicam

Shiny_Rock
Try Jewels by Grace. She has a beautiful transitional diamond in a to-die-for setting that I like.
Return this diamond. You will ever have same issues with it that you currently do. Won't ever go away.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty OEC.

I had a beautiful OEC that for some reason just didn't grab me. I kept trying to make it work for me during the few days I had to decide.
Was advised by a PS member to take my time and I'm glad I didn't settle. I would have been happy with it, but not over-the-moon, so I exchanged it.
Second time was a charm - OEC love at first sight.

That's the experience you want!
Best of luck : )

elizabethtwrs

Rough_Rock
The process is complicated by the fact that I live overseas, and getting multiple stones sent to me and returning them will be a very costly endeavor. I managed to bring this stone back only because I happened to be state side last month, and don't know when the next time I can go back will be.

When I viewed the stone unset I distinctly remembered that it had beautiful faceting, but after I received the set ring, it seemed as if the facets had all been messed up. Ironically the small table and puffy crown which are supposed to be desirable OEC traits, seem to be messing up my eyes because I see the crown facets messing up the under table facets. I'm wondering if it is just me though, and popular opinion is that it is actually a well cut stone? I tried to get more close ups but finding it quite hard to capture the faceting on camera...

_28737.jpg

_28738.jpg

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
I do love those flowered facets I can see, but I wouldn't love flowered facets alone if there's no life to the stone in many lighting situations. You can definitely have it both ways! I agree with everyone who has commented that you will come to be MORE dissatisfied over time with flaws you perceive now.

Are you in the EU? I actually live in the US but bought my OEC in the EU. I found much more selection and better prices for large OECs over there in brick and mortar stores, curiously. I'm assuming you've probably already looked around locally, however, in which case... I completely understand how much your dilemma over this stone is heightened by the necessity of importing and exporting OEC candidates.

hidingpearl

Rough_Rock
Those photos are so lovely. They are my favourite kind of facets. It looks so perfect it could be an AVR! But perhaps in person it looks different. I'm sorry you don't feel 100% confident with your diamond at the moment. Have you tried wearing it for a couple of days to get a real good feel of it? Are you planning on keeping it as a solitaire or will you reset into something else? Maybe a different setting will help bring out a different personality of the stone.

elizabethtwrs

Rough_Rock
hidingpearl|1428502736|3858546 said:
Those photos are so lovely. They are my favourite kind of facets. It looks so perfect it could be an AVR! But perhaps in person it looks different. I'm sorry you don't feel 100% confident with your diamond at the moment. Have you tried wearing it for a couple of days to get a real good feel of it? Are you planning on keeping it as a solitaire or will you reset into something else? Maybe a different setting will help bring out a different personality of the stone.

I have been wearing it these past few days in as many lighting situations as possible, and trying really hard to fall in love with it. But I think I am not 100% satisfied. The vendor was extremely helpful and lovely to deal with the entire time, and even set the stone for me so I'd be saving $$$ on the setting, so I also feel like it would be a disservice to return the stone.

Initially I was quite set on either a halo setting or a pave shank setting. But after seeing these stones in person, I think I will put it in a very simple solitaire as it is in now, as the stones are so beautiful! I think a solitaire will show them off the best way I'd like them to be

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
What size is the stone?

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
It is a beautiful stone.
That being said, if you're not in love, you're not in love.
Make a list of what bugs you.
Also a stone might be gorgeous unset, on your finger or pic, and once set , it behaves not so great. Sometimes it is the setting type, sometimes it is how low or high the stone is set, sometimes it is the girdle reflection on nearby stones. Sometimes it is the lightning conditions.
You are the one that is going to look at it everyday.
If this one does not make your heart sing, it might be better to start the search again.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
When in doubt, don't. Maybe you need to see a variety of other shapes as well?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice is don't settle. If you are not in love with the stone now you probably will be even less in love with it as time goes on. Send it back and take your time. You don't want to rush into a major purchase like this. It's not worth it. I am sorry it isn't working out like you wanted to but you cannot force yourself to love it nor should you. The right stone will come along if you take your time and look at lots of different ones and see what and just as importantly what does not appeal to you...lots of luck and best wishes in your search. Please don't settle though.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I different setting might help?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The great and not so great thing about old cuts is they are all different. What appeals to one person can and will fall short for another. In your case it could be a variety of reasons I suspect the cut is not what your eye and heart prefers visually which means you either need a faster scintillation pattern like a Round Brilliant which will be more "on" or showy in the lighting you describe or a arrowed transitional that in some lighting looks more like an OEC with chunky flashes but has more fire and is less what you call moody and more what I call showy/flashy/sparkly in the lighting situation where you work.

Otherwise a totally different cut might also be worth considering. Some OECS with tiny tiny tables big tall crowns and deeper lower halves might also have more fire than your current stone but I suspect it will be a transitional or a RB or another cut altogether that will make your heart sing. If you don't like it, it probably is never going to grow on you so consider returning it despite the distance and finding something else that does.

elizabethtwrs

Rough_Rock
Dulcinea|1428502087|3858542 said:
I do love those flowered facets I can see, but I wouldn't love flowered facets alone if there's no life to the stone in many lighting situations. You can definitely have it both ways! I agree with everyone who has commented that you will come to be MORE dissatisfied over time with flaws you perceive now.

Are you in the EU? I actually live in the US but bought my OEC in the EU. I found much more selection and better prices for large OECs over there in brick and mortar stores, curiously. I'm assuming you've probably already looked around locally, however, in which case... I completely understand how much your dilemma over this stone is heightened by the necessity of importing and exporting OEC candidates.

Dulcinea, where in the EU can you find OECs?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results