shape
carat
color
clarity

My new GSS strand from Cees

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those who may not be on the other forum I wanted to post photos of my new Golden South Sea strand.

I bought these last Thursday from Cees van Oije, who owns Amsterdam Pearls Ltd. in Bangkok. By Monday they were on my neck! =)
I'm very happy with them! They feel great, not too heavy, and I love their chubby shapes, color and luster.

I honestly never thought I would be buying GSS pearls. The ones I tried on last year at a high end B&M jeweler looked terrible against my skin. But when I saw Cees's photo of this baroque strand that he sourced from Jewelmer, I just knew that the the rosy tones and rich color would complement my skin tones.

The strand is 10.0-12.5mm, 18 inches long, and is strung on some sort of Japanese wire with silicone bumpers between the pearls, The clasp is a hidden one which he described as a harpoon clasp (I had not heard of this before.) To close, I just push it firmly together (it's very secure) and to open, I pinch/squeeze the area between the 2 end pearls, and that pushes them apart.

Cees had a matching pair of loose pearls from the same harvest, from which I plan to make earrings, but have not decided yet on studs vs. dangles.

Here is the vendor's photo; my own photos will follow.

cees_s_photo_of_baroque_gss_strand.jpg

Reactions: AV_

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are photos of the pearls on my neck, outside my front door in the sun and indoors, and the loose pearls.

gss_strand_from_cees__outdoors__sunny_day.jpg

gss_strand_from_cees__indoors.jpg

matching_gss_loose__pearls_from_cees.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the clasp close up.

harpoon_clasp_close_up.jpg

the_harpoon_clasp_closed.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if I said so on the other forum, but I love those on you! They just glow!!!

It was clearly meant to be.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks cmd2014! They feel really right for me.

I wondered if I would miss the greater flexibility of thread and knots but really, the opposite is true. Also, the hidden clasp is so comfortable on my neck. Sometimes clasps can be irritating to me.

I also find that they don't work their way clockwise (so that the clasp moves down the right side of my neck as the day goes on) the way many of my other strands do, and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the stringing method.

Q

Queenie60

Those pearls are stunning and look great on your neck. Thank you for sharing :love:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Queenie! =)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous! Right color for your skin tone. :love:

I haven't heard about silicone bumpers before. Is this a new thing or something popular in Bangkok?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, mtsapphirelovingannie and baby monster!

The bead bumpers are made by Beadalon (and perhaps others as well)-- these look like they are 2mm diameter. I saw bumpers on someone else's GSSP...will have to go hunting for the post.

Edit: The other strand with bumpers is Icy-Jade's GSS, but I cannot find the thread on this forum, only on the other. I'm not sure how common this is.
Here is the link for the Beadalon page with bead bumpers in different colors: http://www.beadalon.com/findings/bead_bumpers.asp

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!

I keep drooling over Cees pearls. Glad to finally see a neckshot! They look stunning!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the longest time I didn't realize he was a vendor. He keeps a very low profile.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They look gorgeous .. and great gold colour! Well done!

I've used the little black bumpers and the clear ones .. I'm going to order some of the gold ones now.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think I will want to orders some bumpers, to experiment with in strands I make for myself (and not just pearls.)

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I have some bumpers somewhere. I may use them for an upcoming tahitian project if I can find them

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I added photos to my thread on the other forum so will do so here as well.

These were taken in the fading afternoon light. (We had to shovel out first!)

gss_neck_shot.jpg

gss_in_hand_just_outside_door.jpg

gss_on_paper_towel.jpg

gss_loose_pearls_on_paper_towel.jpg

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
They just glow!!! Fantastic pearls!

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
So very beautiful!!

I want one *sigh*

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies! =)

I'm debating whether to set the earring pearls as studs or dangles. There doesn't seem to be a clear choice.

At 10-11mm they are a comfortable size for studs (I have large ear lobes). Studs would cost less to set and are more generally versatile, but they don't match the general shape of the necklace and might be dwarfed by it.

Dangles might suit the informal drop shapes more, but I tend to like larger pearls for dangles. Also I have not seen a dangle finding that I love yet.

My left piercing is about .5mm higher on the ear lobe than my right, making many findings too snug for that ear. Whatever finding I use would also have to minimize the appearance that the two earrings aren't perfectly level. When I wear drop shaped pearl earrings, if one is slightly longer, I wear that one on the left ear. And when doing my own wire wrapping, I give the wire an extra turn for the earring that I will wear on the left ear, to make it just slightly longer.

Ideas?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find dangles more wearable than studs, as I'm on the phone a lot at work. My preference is for simple shepherd hooks or lever backs, but if you wanted something more dressy, a drop finding with a diamond accent would look nice or the diamond enhanced lever backs that PP sells. Or, you could put them on eye rings and wear them on huggies and be able to wear them for a pendant look as well.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
In general, I like dangles better because they show better with my long hair (unless I'm wearing my 13.6mm button studs, those do show!).

If your hair is short and studs show well, I think it depends on the look you want to go for. If you want to mostly wear them with the necklace, then the studs shift the focus to the necklace, and people won't really notice the round shape so much I think. But if you want to have earrings to wear without the necklace often, I would look for a nice finding (possibly with diamonds) to go with dangles (or, as cmd says, to go with huggies).

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the ideas, cmd2014 and Tucs!

After playing around yesterday with similarly-sized gold colored Swarovski imitation pearls, pliers, head pins and hoops, I decided that I prefer drop shaped pearls for dangles, and maybe rounds if they are a bit larger than these are.

My hair is short and studs show up well. I actually often like to wear studs by themselves, too-- and I think, Tucs, you are right that studs will shift the focus to the necklace.

Just half an hour ago I called a local goldsmith who said he can drill and set them for me. It won't be for a few weeks, though. I'll post a photo when they are done. =)

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Your GSS looks lovely on you! Cannot wait to see the studs.

I too have un-leveled piercing, and find drop/dangle hide that fact better. Large studs work well too.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up my studs today!
The jeweler measured them at 10.8mm, which I once would have thought too large for studs, but I seem to have evolved. :lol:

gss_studs_ear_shot.jpg

finished_gss_studs.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Those turned out to be perfect! Just beautiful on you!!!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you cmd2014! I think the jeweler did a nice job. The post is heavy and they have large ear nuts, both of which help keep them in place without sagging.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely stunning - thank you for sharing - love it :love: :love:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you D2B!!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearlsngems, I keep coming back to gaze at your amazing goldens. They are stunning on their own and even more incredible on your neck!! Finding the right shade of gold is so challenging and these are perfect for you :love:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby nurse,
It was the slightly rosy tone that grabbed me. I intuitively knew the color would work (and what a relief that I was right.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results