shape
carat
color
clarity

My New GOG/Knox 3-Stone Fishtail Prong Ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that''s a lot of adjectives. Good thing I don''t have to diagram that sentence. ;-)

Just got my ring today. I love it!!

The center stone is a 1.23 I/SI1 H&A Tolkowsky from Good Old Gold. The side stones are each .41 I/SI ACA. The setting is a custom job from Knox Jewelers.

GOG was AWESOME!! They answered my 50 million questions (give or take), and went above and beyond to find exactly what I wanted. They even recommended a slightly less expensive stone than what I was originally considering! They are the epitome of great, non-pushy, pro-consumer service. A heartfelt thank-you to Tim and Jonathan. :)

Oh, and did I mention that the stone ROCKS?! It is drop-dead gorgeous. I couldn''t be happier with it!

The setting is inspired by Selkie''s awesome Victory mounting, which I just loooooooove. (Selkie, are you out there??) I would''ve gotten the setting from Cross Jewelers, but I wanted a few tweaks and custom isn''t really their bag.

Knox did a GREAT job. Brian was very patient and helpful, and I think the setting is just wonderful. Very delicate yet substantial.

The only thing that I''m not 1000% sold on is the size of the fishtail prongs. I wish they were bigger! I know that''s sacrilege to want larger prongs, but I love the vintage-y feel of fishtails, and I really wanted the stones to have a cushiony outline. The prongs are perfect on the side stones, but almost too dainty on the center stone.

Or am I being crazy? It''s more than a little possible that I''m overanalyzing. ;-)

Anyway... a big ol'' THANKS to everyone who''s helped me in this quest. Your comments, insight and kindness are so greatly appreciated.

fishtail1.jpg

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
More pictures...

fishtail3.jpg

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
And I''m spent. Actually, I have a few more Knox-supplied photos, but I need to resize them.

I know that I''m required by PS law to provide hand-shots, and I promise I will TRY. I''m the world''s worst photographer.

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
That''s a GORGEOUS ring!!! I can''t wait to see hand-shots!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Its absolutely stunning!!!! That setting and stone combination is perfect!!!
30.gif
30.gif

Congrats!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, it is gorgeous! Okay I honestly think the center prongs are perfect; don''t change a thing. I love it! Awesome
36.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I love it...
30.gif
Congratulations!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HOLY MOLEY, your ring is gorgeous!! I seriously can''t wait to see more pics!
30.gif
30.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very very pretty. I can''t wait to see it on your hand.
9.gif

lizardofaz

Shiny_Rock
That is a stunning ring! Wouldn''t change a thing!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is beautiful!!!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, it came out beautifully!!! truly spectacular!! i think the prongs look perfect, and i can''t WAIT to see handshots!!! enjoy!!!!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
It is fabulous on its own...but you are right we want to see the real estate spread on your finger...HAND SHOTS!
emthup.gif

That design is really incredible. Looks like you all did a great job!
36.gif
Congrats!

DKS

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a lovely setting
30.gif
and the stones are amazing
30.gif
! Ditto on all the requests for hand shots!

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Awwww..... PERFECTION!!!! It''s absolutely spectacular!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
it really turned out beautiful!! can''t wait for the hand shots!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy Cannoli! What a sparkler!!! I love the prongs the way they are, too, wouldn''t change them at all. Congrats!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring! It''s so bright. . .and I love the setting.

Be sure to post hand shots.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Aw, heck! Thanks Nicki, PoshPepper, Skippy, Anchor, CatMom, StoneHunter, lizardofaz, Tacori, rainydaze, DKS, baby monster, Rock Candy, Mrs S and Monarch!! My ring is blushing. :)

Thanks for the kind words about the ring and the prong encouragement. I can''t believe how crazy I can make myself over minutia.

I still need to shrink the pictures (I''m supposed to be working now--whoops!) and I''ll dig out our crapola digital camera for some handshots. Soon.

DKS, I am pleased about the ring real estate! :) It''s much better than I imagined it would be. The ring is a size six, and I''d say that most of the time, you can''t even see the band.

I''m still mesmerized by the diamonds. When Brian got the stones, he even commented on what a nice make they had, which made me feel great! :)

Thanks again for all of the wonderful comments!!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
It''s gorgeous! As another lover of fishtail prongs, I think the ones on yours are perfect. I''ve seen the bigger ones, and although they''re kind of neat, I think you might get tired of them; the ones you have look perfect to me.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Hi MC,

Looks like we were posting at the same time. :)

Thanks for the comments! It is bright. I opened the box in the car (mostly at stop lights!) and it just gleamed.

Also pleased with the I color. It''s very white. It was also interesting to compare with the J H&A I have. Wasn''t sure I''d see a difference between the two, but I do, albeit a slight one.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, OFG! :)

You have a ring with fishtail prongs, right? Or did I make that up? I seem to remember a post with you wearing a lovely one with baguette side stones.

Thanks for the reassurance on the prongs. I did ask Knox for delicate then I was surprised when that''s what I got. :-o I''m being ridiculous. You''re right, though; if it''s too over-the-top, I might grow tired of the look.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning ring! Can not wait to see it on your hand!
36.gif

mara54

Shiny_Rock
Wow, what a beautiful ring, the pictures are so clear, so sparkly...love it. Congratulations
35.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
oooooooooooooo
30.gif
prettyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the prongs... gives it a lacy look when viewing from the top. Beautiful ring!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2007 6:32:15 PM
Author:kathleenmv

The setting is inspired by Selkie''s awesome Victory mounting, which I just loooooooove. (Selkie, are you out there??) I would''ve gotten the setting from Cross Jewelers, but I wanted a few tweaks and custom isn''t really their bag.

Knox did a GREAT job. Brian was very patient and helpful, and I think the setting is just wonderful. Very delicate yet substantial.

The only thing that I''m not 1000% sold on is the size of the fishtail prongs. I wish they were bigger! I know that''s sacrilege to want larger prongs, but I love the vintage-y feel of fishtails, and I really wanted the stones to have a cushiony outline. The prongs are perfect on the side stones, but almost too dainty on the center stone.

Or am I being crazy? It''s more than a little possible that I''m overanalyzing. ;-)

Anyway... a big ol'' THANKS to everyone who''s helped me in this quest. Your comments, insight and kindness are so greatly appreciated.

OH wow, really? I inspired your ring? That''s so cool! I have a ring twin (well, they''re fraternal, but still!) I saw your title just by chance on the forum page, and had to come check it out. I cannot even tell you how beautifully I think it turned out! I love the reverse taper on the shank, and the way you modified the baskets to show more of the stones. My setting is pretty enclosed, which is probably the only thing that sometimes bothers me. And I totally get what you are saying about the prongs. For me, they turn a very pretty three-stone ring into something completely unique. The proportions on the stones are perfect.

So, did you send them pics of the victory ring, or did they have their own version? Cross actually gets the setting from Jabel, an old company in New Jersey. I''m wondering if Knox made a cast, or used die-struck components.

I can''t wait to see more pictures!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I just read your other thread from when you were deciding on side stones, and I think you did well going with the .41s rather than .25-.3. Mine are .25s which go well with my 1ct sapphire, which is about the size of a .75ct diamond, but would probably look a little small against your center.

Also, I just realized that''s pave and a surprise diamond in the center stone basket
30.gif
3.gif

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
DMBsGirl, Mara54, Sera and Selkie,

Thanks for the sweet compliments!! Y''all are too much. :)

Sera, you''re right! The prongs do give the ring sort of a lacy feel. Very feminine, which I like.

Selkie! Yes, it''s your fraternal ring twin. Heeeeeeeee. That cracked me up! :)

Your ring was definitely the inspiration, so much so that I sent Brian pictures of your actual ring along with photos from the Cross website and a couple of other similar looks that caught my eye. But, yes, YOUR ring is where it all started!

Knox did some CADs for my approval then cast the ring and set the stones. Despite my hedging over the prongs, I really do like the way it turned out. (Though I still think yours is the gold standard!)

Thanks for the feedback on the stone proportions. I agonized over that. I finally ended up using the little proportion thingie that Ana posted eons ago. That did the trick! :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
*putting on sunglasses*

Ah, now I can see, and, it''s gorgimous!!!
30.gif
You really did good, congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results