shape
carat
color
clarity

My new Gelin Abaci TR-039 E Ring.

sjrmathis

Rough_Rock
I have been lurking on this site for months learning about diamonds and reading everyone’s stories and advice to others. I finally get to post my story. For about a year my boyfriend has been talking about buying a ring. I had been browsing styles and diamond types. In December I was looking at tension rings on James Allen and one style got my boyfriend’s attention. We called it the twisty ring. We both loved it. I wanted to try it on to see if that style would look good. I read about tension rings on this site and found that people had strong opinions on buying from only a few known designers. We found that Gelin and Abaci had a similar style and a local jeweler had their settings. When I tried it on it looked terrible on me. However, style TR-039 looked great! The price of the setting was steep for his budget when you added the cost of the quality diamond I was looking at. Back on this site I went and learned all I could about diamonds. I was looking for better quality smaller diamond. The jeweler was wonderful and would order loose stones for us to look at. She showed me a pretty little .5 princess cut that had great color, quality, cut etc. I was really hoping that this would be it because the price of the stone and setting were well within the budget. When Valentine’s Day passed with no ring I was beginning to lose hope.

I received my ring this weekend. He took so long because he chose to go with a 1ct round instead of the .5 princess that I was looking at. The stats are not what I had initially looked at, however the diamond he picked is very eye clean and has wonderful sparkle. I love it and it looks great in the tension setting. When I learned it was an I color so I was worried that it would look yellow on the sides. To me it doesn't so I was really happy about that. I will post the stats even though I really don’t understand what most of the measurements mean…
AGS certified.
Cut-Excellent
Polish-Ideal
Symmentry-Ideal
Fluorescence-Negligible
Color- I
SI-2
Diameter-6.47-6.50
Table-58.1
Depth-60.1

I have taken a million pictures and can't figure out how to show the fire and colors in the stone. They come out blurry. The post is limited to four pictures so I chose the one's where you can see how the setting looks with the diamond. I love how you can see the prism colors when the ring is upside down. I also posted one showing how the diamond hangs over the setting. I did read a lot of posts with people asking about that. I tried taking hand pics. I didn't know how awful my hands look until you see them in a IPHONE pic. I left those out.

Thanks to the advice on this site, I immediately called my insurance company and the ring is fully insured with no deductible. I play tennis a lot and I need to find out if it is safe to wear the ring while playing tennis.

Thank you everyone for your advice and knowledge. I have learned so much and this site is invaluable. Now on to the pics...

faceup.jpg

bottom.jpg

driving.jpg

side.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats on your engagement and for sharing your lovely ring!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stunning congrats!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always marvel at the tension set rings - beautiful!

Congrats to you on your engagement!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful! COngratulations!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stunning setting!!! I love tension mounts! :love:

You say you play a lot of tennis - I do not know if a tension mount is secure for that kind of physical activity. It looks awesome but perhaps you could not wear it on the tennis days? I'd hate to see that beautiful diamond end up on the court and not be found again....

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your engagement and lovely ring. I enjoyed reading your story, best wishes!

Kalrik

Shiny_Rock
I really love your setting especially in that last pic. Your fiance did an amazing job with the diamond choice imo, as it's a great size, a great color that you can trust from ags, and it's got a great spread and cut. Congrats!

sjrmathis

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I did wear the ring to tennis today so I could show everyone. I have a nice rope chain with a chain guard so before the match I took it off and wore it around my neck. I must have grabbed my neck a 100 times today. Then I dropped the ring on the ground when I removed it from the chain. Lesson learned. Ring stays at home during tennis. Next up will be designing the wedding band. :appl:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
sjrmathis said:
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I did wear the ring to tennis today so I could show everyone. I have a nice rope chain with a chain guard so before the match I took it off and wore it around my neck. I must have grabbed my neck a 100 times today. Then I dropped the ring on the ground when I removed it from the chain. Lesson learned. Ring stays at home during tennis. Next up will be designing the wedding band. :appl:
can't wait to see what type of wedding band you get

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
sjrmathis|1332112927|3151662 said:

I think this will be your safest choice! Better to learn this now, than have something worse happen!

What are your WB thoughts?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's really really beautiful.
We have tension settings too and it's so groovy to see more of the diamond you paid for.
More light gets in and out and the side view when driving in the sun is downright hypnotizing :naughty:
Another plus is they are a breeze to keep clean.

Enjoy!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1332122274|3151748 said:
That's really really beautiful.
We have tension settings too and it's so groovy to see more of the diamond you paid for.
More light gets in and out and the side view when driving in the sun is downright hypnotizing :naughty:
Another plus is they are a breeze to keep clean.

Enjoy!

I thought maybe the king of tension rings would stop in :bigsmile:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement and on a beautiful ring!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful - love Gelin Abaci! :love: Many Congratulations!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!! :love: And you are wise to be cautious with it. You have a lot of exposed girdle and it could chip if hit against something.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! Congrats on your engagement!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
That is an amazing ring. I own a store and one of my customers came in Saturday with a tension set 1.5ct ring. Beyond cool to see it IRL.
I love the unique look...so modern, simple and clean. Showed your ring to my hubby, ( I show him loads of rings on here), he found it fascinating. Great setting choice!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does look good on you :love: :appl:

I saw a real tension setting IRL for the first time a few months ago at an NYC GTG. It's such a nifty concept :sun:

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
LOVE :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results