shape
carat
color
clarity

My New E-Ring (And Its Vintage Side Kick)!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
We finally got it all together! And it just wouldn't have been possible without all the fantastic information here on PS and sites like GOG.

After several months of searching for a setting we liked, going back and forth on diamond versus colored stone and then another month of pondering what kind of diamond (old or new) we finally got everything sorted out and we are now officially engaged as of last month! YAY! We had several contenders...ok, ok...we went through 6 diamonds until we got this whole thing sorted out. :lol: We started with a MRB K that I admit was very nicely cutand sparkled like mad, and an M AVR but both were a no go on color. So we went back to the drawing board and found a J MRB that just didn't do anything for either of us. Turned out the LGF lengths were 80% and neither of us like that look (and the J was still too much color). I believe his words were "yes, it's nice, but you're not drooling over it". Fair enough, so we went back to look one last time and came up with these- a J SI1 AVR and an H SI1 MRB:
jhb.jpg

The day of reckoning arrived and I still hadn't decided on the stone and so I said "Let's just let the setting decide" and we took the stones down to the store to see them together. The jeweler and I both agreed that the H was the right one for the setting and the deal was sealed. Surprisingly (or not), I ended up choosing the smallest of the stones we looked at having just missed the .8 mark clocking in at something like .794 but I call it an honorary .8 cuz that's just too many number to say. :)

So here is my engagement ring, which we spent more time thinking (obsessing) about than the house we purchased last year. :lol:

Setting is by Simon G in 18k white gold (I can hardly believe it, but that's what I thought would look best and still do)
Stone is .794
AGS 000 H SI1 (though one jeweler was surprised by that and said he would have thought a little higher clarity)
dimension: 5.96x5.99mm
lgf length is 76% (much more to my liking sparkle-wise)
Crown: 34.3
PA: 40.8
depth: 61.4
table: 55.1

HCA was 1.1

ring is 5 7/8 and my finger size is 5.75

Caution, I went crazy with the glamor shots on my I-phone....

In the flowers:
eringb.jpg

In dim light with reflections from the dark marble and sage walls (sorry, the program keeps flipping it sideways and I can't fix it):

ringdim.jpg

Fire:

ering2.jpg

And because we knew pave was delicate, and we both have a fixation with old cuts, we decided to take an old setting I had bought back in college and have an OMC plunked in it for my "alter ego" that I can feel comfortable wearing to the gym or grocery store. Luckily, we have a jewelry store here in town called Bell and Bird that deals in antiques (150-200 years on average) and he is well equipped to deal with older things and had some spare stones handy. We picked out a little 4.5mm stone that was about .38ct and he said it would fit, no problem, in my old illusion setting.

So, now I joke that I've never had an engagement ring before, and now I get 2!

duoring.jpg

Both will go fabulously with the bands we are having made. Mine is a VanCraeynest band with 5 blossoms around it (something like 910 or 810 in the new numbering system) and his coordinating Damascus Steel ring with a bezel set diamond to add cohesion for his ring to the rest of the set. Now, to decide on the venue!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
YOWZERS!!! I'm in love with your ering!!! WOW!!! :love: :love: :love:

That's just one sweet ring you have there bastecat! And I love the vintage side kick - how clever! :appl:
Please keep posting more photos :bigsmile:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful and the sidekick as well! Congratulations.

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
Love both of your rings! Congrats on your engagement and happy planning!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm happy that your wait is over and you now have TWO amazingly beautiful rings to admire as you begin planning your wedding. Congratulation to you both!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Thank y'all so much! My sweetie has definitely got a heart of gold! (And bucketloads of patience.) His original choice for the stone was the AVR, but he said I outvoted him 1 to 1. :halo:

Here's a couple more. I got one good one of the sidekick in the bathroom where you can kind of see some kozibe going on. It seems to be more on one side than the other, and surprisingly, it happens most where it's most out of round. In the photo, it's mostly on the bottom side, but you can just make out a few culet reflections on the top half also. (The bottom half is where this stone is out of round...and I mean crazy wonky...)

duo2.jpg

And just for fun, extreme closeup under 10x and one more fire shot, because I love to do those. Still can't figure out those pretty arrow shots, though. (All done with my I-phone, no less. I'm impressed by the improved camera on the new model.)

topring.jpg

ringh.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, spectacular! I love that halo setting!

Enjoy both of your beautiful rings! Congratulations :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous rings!!! :love: I was very curious to see which you would choose! I worry that I might love an AVR more than my rb, so it is good to see someone choose a modern rb! I also can't wait to see your VC wedding band! I didn't know they had changed numbering systems. That is sort of a shame to me.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Thank y'all again!

DS- I think we were both surprised about the stone choice. We both figured I was having trouble deciding because I couldn't see it in context, and that the AVR would be the hands down winner once I could see it next to the setting. Even the jeweler had picked that one first when we showed him the final 2 stones, but there's something about the H that just really clicked once the setting came in and I saw it together.

Not to worry (Or maybe BIG worry, for FI) is that I still love the AVR's and would love to get a little pendant with one some day. :love:

Now, I just have to figure out how to deal with the sizing issue. It ended up being just a bit big on me, mostly because of the way the band is built (rounded) and so it slides around on me about half the time so I am pondering sizing beads. (And I think I may have chosen to set the stone too high, and I'm nervous to have it fiddled with.)

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
not one but two beautiful new rings. congrats! :appl:

vivastacy

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous Gorgeous Ring!!! I love your Halo ring :love:

I am recently pick up my e-ring and I got diamond all set but the setting part I keep going back and forth with my jewelry guy! I couldn't decide if the pave stones around the center stone, according to my jewelry guy I show him Cartier Destinee picture he said the little gap between the pave stone the dirt will stuck in there, and it will make the stone won't shine as much as it should. So they have their own design without the gap it just doesn't look right for me. Do you have this problem on your ring? I hope it make sense to you.

So you got your setting from Siamon G. how much does it cost? and can I see the ring on the side design?

Thank you

-Stacy-

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yay!! :appl: You got the best of both worlds! An mrb AND an oec! Who could ask for more! Both rings are lovely...congrats!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!

That was from last year though! The little OEC ring is gone (the sides got damaged beyond repair but the stone is being saved for a pendant) and now I have this OEC to alternate with my ering. :) I wear this one with my w-band and the ering with blingy bands.

fireset.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning rings! You made a wonderful choice!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
vivastacy|1366313857|3429974 said:
Gorgeous Gorgeous Ring!!! I love your Halo ring :love:

I am recently pick up my e-ring and I got diamond all set but the setting part I keep going back and forth with my jewelry guy! I couldn't decide if the pave stones around the center stone, according to my jewelry guy I show him Cartier Destinee picture he said the little gap between the pave stone the dirt will stuck in there, and it will make the stone won't shine as much as it should. So they have their own design without the gap it just doesn't look right for me. Do you have this problem on your ring? I hope it make sense to you.

So you got your setting from Siamon G. how much does it cost? and can I see the ring on the side design?

Thank you

-Stacy-

Stacy- the style is 1811.

http://www.simongjewelry.com/product/Passion_Collection_Style_MR1811/15632/EN

It's a very nice ring and ran about $2400. I think it is nicely made for not being a custom ring and like the way the pave is done. The melee stones are VERY sparkly and have never disappointed me.

ID Jewelry has something similar too:

http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=42_44&products_id=10119&cType=ER

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Aprilbaby!

Here is how the Simon G looks now:

rubyset2.jpg

For anyone looking at SImon G, I quite like them. They are easy to work with and should I (rather, when I...) upgrade the center stone, they will remake the ring for me for less than we paid for the ring (so it doesn't quite count as a new ring, but more than a simple head change).

I am told I am pretty easy on my jewelry. I clean it regularly with a soft brush and have had no issues so far with the pave stones. The only thing I could wish about it is that the halo melee was the same size as the shank melee. The halo melee is 1pters and the shank is 2pters. After awhile it bugs me and so if I get a redo on this at some point, I've already checked that they can change the melee size.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful rings bastetcat!!! :love: I love them stacked like that too!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Missy!!! :D I really like Simon G. I know you hear more about Ritani here than SG, but I quite like them.

*sigh* I still miss that cute little Illusion head ring. I did the best I could trying to find something that reminded me of it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bastetcat|1366333673|3430169 said:
Thank you Missy!!! :D I really like Simon G. I know you hear more about Ritani here than SG, but I quite like them.

Oh, I like them too! I cannot remember who it was but someone on PS got his wife a gorgeous Simon G halo solitaire pendant that was one of my very favorites here. They do lovely work!

vivastacy

Rough_Rock
Does shank mean the one around the finger?? I am thinking to do 2mm narrow down to 1.9mm. I feel I am being too picky about the pave stone around the halo I saw some other peoples pictures some are too big and some are not very big.... I dont know how to make a decision. I think you are the right size what I am looking for!! :love:

So you want the halo melee to be the same as shank 2mm too?? Wont it look too big around your center stone.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
vivastacy|1366345171|3430276 said:
Does shank mean the one around the finger?? I am thinking to do 2mm narrow down to 1.9mm. I feel I am being too picky about the pave stone around the halo I saw some other peoples pictures some are too big and some are not very big.... I dont know how to make a decision. I think you are the right size what I am looking for!! :love:

So you want the halo melee to be the same as shank 2mm too?? Wont it look too big around your center stone.

Hi Stacy-

I think a lot of people have different opinions on what size melee looks good around a stone. For me, I can't see the point in 1/2pters. It's like "why bother?" they are so tiny. I think 1pters are a good choice, in general, as they give enough presence without being overpowering so I say go for it if you think you've found your fit! :)

I wouldn't have this setting rebuilt for the stone that is in there right now, but for the stone that I hope to save for, I would definitely consider bigger melee around the halo portion. I wouldn't go any smaller at all on the shank. It's pretty delicate as it is.

I think the shank measures what it does (2mm) because the shank is rounded and so looks a little thicker. Whereas the halo has a little tilt to it, and angles downward and inward at the edge, so I think if the melee were the same size (1.7mm) as the ones on the shank, it would still look a little smaller than the shank itself because of the way it's tilted and the cut down of the pave. It probably wouldn't have that effect if the halo were flat instead of tilted (but that's just a guess, I don't really know).

Here's a size reference for melee since you are shopping around and getting ideas about what you like (which is a good thing!):

1 pter- 1.3mm
1.5 pter - 1.6mm
2 pter - 1.7mm
3 pter- 2mm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results