shape
carat
color
clarity

My new colour change garnet...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
1.32ct colour change garnet.

These are the dealer''s pictures rather than mine. I wasn''t expecting it to look nearly as good IRL nor the colour change to be as extreme as it is, but I was amazed when it arrived this morning.

The colour in the pictures is 100% accurate.

It was a completely chance find and the price was exceptional so I took a gamble.

What do you think?

Here it is in daylight:

colourchangegarnetdaylight.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
And in incandescent light...

colourchangegarnetincandescent.jpg

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
wow that is awsome. i love the daylight color!!

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Good Lord it''s gorgeous! How are you going to set it?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'm not setting it - no point, I don't really wear any jewellery other than my e-ring.

It's going in a little box in Pandora's Box!
9.gif

It's native cut, but a nice one.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Pandora, that's just lovely. Color change garnets(anything) are so cool!

I've been wanting to write you and tell you that I cannot WAIT for the colored gems portion of the G.G. I have 3 more weeks of diamonds. If I have to grade another diamond...
32.gif
60 more to go!

I reallyreallyreally need some variety to stay sane.

We graded mounted stones today, though, and I loved it. Very fun!

How are your courses going?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2008 7:00:53 PM
Author: coatimundi
Pandora, that''s just lovely. Color change garnets(anything) are so cool!

I''ve been wanting to write you and tell you that I cannot WAIT for the colored gems portion of the G.G. I have 3 more weeks of diamonds. If I have to grade another diamond...
32.gif
60 more to go!

I''m a bit behind on my assignments at the mo - wretched wedding...

The FGA doesn''t do diamonds in any depth - there is a separate diamond course, the DGA that you take after the FGA if you are into diamonds. FGA is almost entirely theory - the practical exam is to confirm that you can use the instruments correctly, and you get a set of stones to ID and questions on them. Or at least it is at the Foundation level - the Fellowship is in 2 parts Foundation and Diploma. I''m on the Foundation currently.

I''ve seen the new exam papers and they''re pretty frightening. You have a 2.5hr one in the morning and a 2hr one in the afternoon and a gazillion questions that cover pretty much every topic in the syllabus. I''ve decided to put my exam off till next June as the wedding has skewed my schedule so badly. Problem is I need a good 7 hour stretch to write up all my notes and do an assignment properly and if I lose a Saturday and Sunday I''m in trouble.

What have you covered so far on the optics, crystallography stuff? Crystallography reminds me of French grammar...
38.gif

Glad you''re enjoying the course (don''t envy you on the diamond grading, I''d have gone nuts!)

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2008 6:05:59 PM
Author: Eva17
wow that is awsome. i love the daylight color!!

MMM, me too! It looks like Concord grape juice. Why do my favorite gems always remind me of food or candy?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Very cool, pretty stone!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a great find! I''ve been thinking about getting one for my collection too. Hints on where to be watching for another treasure like this?
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora,
That''s an awesome colour change.

Pandora and Coati,
I''m so envious of the two of you and your courses.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
some day i''m going to want to open that Pandora''s box and just see all her pretty stones!

movie zombie

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora that garnet is gorgeous, I love the color change, it is really beautiful.

Linda

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very, very pretty. I love color change stones.

dh97

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous
30.gif
!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
OMG that is really beautiful :) another thing I have now added to my wishlist :)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YUMMMM, I love color change stones and your is GORGEOUS!!!!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Whoa, pretty sweet!

cheers--Sharon

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Holy crap!

What a beautiful transition. I think one of those has to go on my life list (actully it''s mreo of an after-I-get-a-real-job list).

It''s just gorgeous, may I ask where you found that little gem?

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
I did not know that true violet garnet existed, as I had only seen rhodolite that was red with a purplish tone to it. It is an absolutely magificent stone, Pandora. Specifically what type of garnet is it, and where did you aquire it?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I need to do a bit more digging, but going on origin, I''m thinking it''s a spessartite/pyrope mix with a dose of chromium chucked in. Don''t you just love isomorphic replacement...
20.gif

There are similar ones from Madagascar that are as true a blue as you can get in a garnet - they have vanadium rather than the chromium. I''ve only seen very bad pictures.

I''m afraid I''m not revealing my source at the moment.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2008 7:27:42 PM
Author: Pandora II
Date: 6/10/2008 7:00:53 PM

Author: coatimundi

Pandora, that's just lovely. Color change garnets(anything) are so cool!

I've been wanting to write you and tell you that I cannot WAIT for the colored gems portion of the G.G. I have 3 more weeks of diamonds. If I have to grade another diamond...
32.gif
60 more to go!

I'm a bit behind on my assignments at the mo - wretched wedding...

The FGA doesn't do diamonds in any depth - there is a separate diamond course, the DGA that you take after the FGA if you are into diamonds. FGA is almost entirely theory - the practical exam is to confirm that you can use the instruments correctly, and you get a set of stones to ID and questions on them. Or at least it is at the Foundation level - the Fellowship is in 2 parts Foundation and Diploma. I'm on the Foundation currently.

I've seen the new exam papers and they're pretty frightening. You have a 2.5hr one in the morning and a 2hr one in the afternoon and a gazillion questions that cover pretty much every topic in the syllabus. I've decided to put my exam off till next June as the wedding has skewed my schedule so badly. Problem is I need a good 7 hour stretch to write up all my notes and do an assignment properly and if I lose a Saturday and Sunday I'm in trouble.

What have you covered so far on the optics, crystallography stuff? Crystallography reminds me of French grammar...
38.gif

Glad you're enjoying the course (don't envy you on the diamond grading, I'd have gone nuts!)

That's interesting about the FGA being mainly theory. The G.G. is fairly balanced theory and practical--with a bit more focus on the practical. We handle stones for the better part of the course. I would enjoy more theory! So far, I've loved the lectures on light theory and crystallography.(limited to diamonds as of now--can't wait to learn light theory/crystallography in depth for colored stones!)

As far as crystallography, we are currently only dealing with the cubic system as it pertains to diamonds. Diamonds comprise the first 7 weeks, and then, the remainder of the course (4.5 months) is colored stones. I'm so glad that I bought Practical Gemology to get ahead. Thanks again for the suggestion! My friends (not gem folk) have deemed me Hermione Granger, as I like to get ahead--with a little "light reading."
1.gif
(Don't know if you've read the Potter books!)

The definitions PERTURB me. I'm constantly rewriting things to suit my understanding.

The final exam for colored gems will consist of a 20 stone exam, and you must pass with 100%
23.gif
The final for diamonds is a 5 stone in which you grade 5 diamonds and have to be 75% accurate. This is a good thing, because we measure everything with our eyes. No Sarin machine for us! Crown angles are my BAIN!

I feel you on needing the 7 hour stretch for writing notes. I rewrite everything. I practically rewrite my textbooks. It's good that you're taking your time to devote to your notes. How is the wedding planning going? I don't visit the Bridal threads very often. I hope you're not too stressed!

Thanks for posting photos of your growing collection! I'm hoping to have one of those soon. (There's a gem show in my area this weekend--I'm at least going to score a box--if not a few specimens(sphene!and a petite benitoite-if within budget)
1.gif

Hope you're having a good week, Pandora!

eta: Harriet, have you considered taking courses in New York? or distance education?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone Pandora. Just lovely.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that''s a pretty stone! You must have an awesome collection of garnets.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful stone
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results