shape
carat
color
clarity

My new 3 pointer eternity ring is too big

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
It is my own fault....The first mistake was that I ordered the ring to be loose. The shame was that the manufacterer made it slightly bigger than I ordered.

It is 2mm tall which ends up being alot wider than my engagement ring. To fit on my finger the eternity band has to go on an angle instead of straight across because its just too big.
7.gif

I was wondering if its possible to get an eternity ring made smaller.

If I could alter it 100% I would get it less tall as well by scooping some of the inside out and then making it smaller.

Anyway, the good thing is that it is incredibly well made, beautifully cut diamonds, very white (D- F) and in thec VS range of clarity. So even too big, it still looks very sparkly and firey!!!
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no, can you return it? Does it have a sizing bar? It sounds beautiful though.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Im happy to share what I can if it helps someone else.

What I know now is that sizes can vary across manufacturers. What I SHOULD have done (now Im told) is give a ring that I want copied in size. That way they cant make it wrong.

And I cant give it back unfortunately.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so sorry to hear this! Do you have any pics of it to share? I''m hoping that there is a jeweler somewhere that can help you with the sizing problem!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
That''s unfortunate! Usually eternity bands can''t be sized. Is there enough metal in the ring to put in sizing beads?

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Its the actual dimentions of the ring that are too big. Sizing beads probably wont help that. ie. it doeswnt fall off my finger, but the width across my finger is too wide to sit comfortably.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 5:57:22 AM
Author: Sharon101
Its the actual dimentions of the ring that are too big. Sizing beads probably wont help that. ie. it doeswnt fall off my finger, but the width across my finger is too wide to sit comfortably.

It seems like it isn''t the size of the actual ring on your finger but the setting you chose...am I understanding correctly? (it''s early for me lol). I can see this happening. I just bought an eternity ring and was looking for the lowest setting possible. I tried on a few different typse of settings and it did make a difference. I went with the U-prong setting which sits very low and doesn''t bother my pinky finger at all.

Do you think you can have your diamonds set into a different setting?

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
My eternity band also sits higher than my ering....and must fit over my knuckle, so it''s slightly larger than my real size. The way I solved this was to place a buffer ring (happens to be my wedding band) between them that is as half as tall as the eternity and the ering. It serves to blend the transition of heights and also adds enough width overall to keep everything from moving. Works really well for me. So maybe it would cost less for you to replace with another type of wedding band rather than alter the eternity or ering. Hope this helps.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Bummer. How about a pave band--or something else with stones set in a "recessed" fashion?

cheers--Sharon

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Does it fit another finger?

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys, could be just an expensive mistake!!! (Something Im really used to
20.gif
)

But the size is too big which makes the whole ring too big.

I am not upset about the tallness of the setting (2mm). But because the ring is too big, obviously the 2mm of tallness doesnt have enough room to sit properly. So the ring sits diagonally on my finger.

I need to find a jeweller to cut out a section and squish the ends together.

Its too big for my Mum as well and she is a size bigger than me.
7.gif

What I realise now is that I should have got my normal size and then shaved the inside if I needed to go up in the future as eternity rings are easier to make bigger than smaller.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Bummer! Can you add to it and make it an index finger ring?

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 6:30:09 PM
Author: justjulia
Bummer! Can you add to it and make it an index finger ring?
Thanks for that idea. I will look into it!!!!!
36.gif

Anyway, will find out today and hopefully get pictures too.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, little update!!!

I went into one of my favourite jewellers who I really love. They are a small family owned business and they have never let me down for repairs so far. The one where they have all the family working there, everyone is gorgeous to deal with, and they even let their poodle stay and not feel left out.

Now once again George, the Father, and hands on jeweller from way back, did not want to take my money.

He argued that the ring was so beautiful and I must make the other jeweller remake it for me for free. He argued that it was unfair etc etc. He was genuinely upset for my predicament.

After I finally convinced him that the ring size was my fault and it was not returnable, he came to the party with flying colors.

I want to add that I love working with old world europeans that really have a passion for their craft. You can see it in their sparkely eyes, their strong hands, and the way they speak with abundant energy .

After a little deliberation, George agreed that he would and could fix my ring and that it will be perfect. It will be going to another jeweller first to remove 2 diamonds and then he will do the rest.

He was so sweet that he even worried about me wasting 2 diamonds. But I was one step ahead, and will get them put into a bead on my Pandora bracelet!!!!!!
9.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
That's great. Then, he will get some profit from his kindness, too- as he will be doing the pandora bead add in work, right? (As well as the eternity redo?)

Post pics when done!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 6:08:57 AM
Author: justjulia
That''s great. Then, he will get some profit from his kindness, too- as he will be doing the pandora bead add in work, right? (As well as the eternity redo?)

Post pics when done!
Well, I havent told him about my Pandora bead idea yet as I am getting the bracelet tomorrow.

One step at a time!!!!

And yes, when you deal with people like him, you do want them to make a profit.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, little update. Ring is in with jeweller.
And he is able and happy to set any left over diamonds into one of my Pandora beads.

And he will actually set it into the bead not just glue it!!!!

Now im going to have some fun trying to choose a bead for this excercise.

Plus, Im going to go over all my scrap jewellery that I dont wear for various reasons and look for any suitable coloured stones or diamonds for my Pandora bracelet!!!!!

Anyway, back to the topic, I am getting my eternity ring the same size as my engagement ring. Reason is that it is a fine 2 mm ring and that means it can be smaller and still fit. Plus I am not going to wear 3 bands as I originally planned so dont need as much squeeze room.

Fwiw, my dear gorgeous jeweller is called

A N I Jewellers in Glenferrie Road Malvern.

And I cant emphasize enough how sweet and gorgeous the Father and son are who actually do the work on site.

They dont have an internet site as business is mainly word of mouth!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results