shape
carat
color
clarity

My New 1.85/K/VVS2 H&A AGS000 Diamond from GoodOldGold.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SiegeX

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend left no doubt in my mind that the most important thing to here was SIZE! Taking that into consideration I devoted the last 2 weeks to becomming as much of a diamond expert as possible so that not only will she get a large diamond but also a brilliant, firey one. Since my budget was $10,000 for both the stone and the platinum setting, I made a choice to sacrifice on the color, hence the K.

Ya I know, you are probably cringing right now at a K-colored stone, but let me assure you, because this dimond is cut to such exact tolerences , you would be VERY hard pressed to tell this stone from an E-colored diamond face up! Thats right I said E, and if you don't believe me check out the pictures below.

The choice wasnt easy and it came down to the wire between this diamond and a 1.79/I/SI2 for a very similar price with near-ideal proportions. The deciding factor was that I was able to see actual pictures of the 1.85 diamond and it also went through the ringer as far as optical tests go and it scores off the charts as you will be able to see in the following pictures!

First off the stats:
  • Lab:**********GIA
  • Weight:*******1.85 ct
  • Clarity:********VVS2
  • Color:*********K
  • Shape:********Round Brilliant
  • Polish:*********Excellent
  • Symmetry:*****Excellent H&A
  • Proportions:****AGS Ideal Cut 000
  • Fluorescence:***None
  • Table:*********55.6%
  • Depth:********61.0%
  • Crown:********34.2*
  • Pavillion:*******40.8*
  • Isee2 Score:****9.7 (9.8 is the highest possible score)

Here are pictures showing the Hearts & Arrows, indicitive of a super ideal cut diamond.

185kvvs1-arrows.jpg
185kvvs1-hearts.jpg

Here is the brillancescope test, look at the Color-light and Scintillation scores! Can you say BLING BLING?
love.gif

BR185KVVS2-13171696-1.gif

As mentioned above, this stone is nearly identical to what an E-colored looks face up. On the left is my K-colored, on the right is a nearly identical diamond but E-colored. See what I mean. Note that both diamonds have facets that are reflecting yellow, this is because the walls in the store are yellow, not due to the internal stone color.
21.gif

diamond.jpg

Here is an overhead pic of the diamond sitting on a platinum setting. Hey, where did the yellow go?
21.gif

diamond3.jpg

Finally here is a side shot of the diamond, now you can finally start to see the yellow, but I swear ive seen I-colored diamonds that had the same tint, go figure.

diamond4.jpg

I just wanted to take this time to thank both Tim from GoodOldGold.com and Mark from EngagementRingsDirect.com, both of you went above and beyond the call of duty as far as customer service goes, I highly recommend both stores.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
SiegeX, welcome to pricescope!

I think it's a gorgeous stone and will no doubt spend much time being worn and admired. Congratulations on a great purchase and all the best on your future life together.
appl.gif
And of course, thanks for sharing your pictures and story. We love pics!
wavey.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Siege
appl.gif
it looks like a beaut! I'm sure she will be THRILLED!!
9.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
appl.gif
i am sure it is going to be just beautiful!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice. You did a great job and I hope she appreciates the time and care you took to choose the perfect stone. Please remember to post hand pics.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Good choice...it's beautiful and big too! I can't wait to see it set and then hand pictures!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Siege,

Diamond size was very important to me as well. I chose to go lower on my clarity and cut than color to make the size I wanted fit within my budget -- more along the lines of the SI2, I, near-ideal that you could've had for similar cost. Either way, I don't think you could've gone wrong. Sure, when you are comparing a K color to an E, there will be a difference, but your stone is cut so spectacularly that it really compensates for any "letter" that is in the color category on your grading report. As you have already discoverd, once the stone was set and is out of the store, the color one grade here or there isn't really an issue. The issue is that you got a fireball that for all intents and purposes is basically a 2 carat (I'll never tell!!!). And if that ring was mine, and if people asked how big it is, I'd say "two carats" -- what is 15 points "amongst friends"??!!! My stone is 3.29, but if someone asks, I don't say "three point two nine", I just say "three carats".

Congratulations and YOU DID GOOD!!!

SiegeX

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the very encouraging words, I can't wait to actually see it personally, it will be at my Appraiser on Tuesday.

Headlight, thanks for taking the time to give me your input, especially from sombody who is also very interested in size
3.gif
In all honesty, I would have preferred a diamond in the VS2/SI1 range with the color in the H/I range keeping the rest the same. Unfortuntely every diamond I looked at that had the right Carat/Clarity/Color/Price could not even think about being in the same league to this diamond when it comes to Brilliance/Scintillation. Had this diamond not scored so rediculously high in optics, I probably *would* have gone with the other one I mentioned above.

The day before yesterday I walked into Tiffany & CO and let me just tell you, boy do they know how to pick their diamonds. Almost every diamond in the glass case were shimmering colors like it had a mini disco ball inside it. After seeing that, I said to myself "I GOT to have me one of these!" I'll be the first to admit that my girlfriend is a big attention whore which explains the size thing
9.gif
, but I went ahead and decided to spoil her even more by making her diamond noticed from across a room
21.gif

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
siege, she is going to love it! can't wait to see the finished product, all set, and on her finger! Congrats
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Appears delightful! Congrats!!

As an aside, in my endless search for my diamond upgrade, I inspected a wonderful K, VS1, with an excellent pedigree and I was totally charmed by its beauty! And so, too, you will be with yours.

cheers

Sharon
appl.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Siege,

FYI, what T & Co has more than nice diamonds is extraordinary LIGHTING. I would bet money on it that if you were to take your stone and compared it with one of theirs, out of the store in the "real world", your diamond would blow T & Co away.

Your "attention whore" (as you so lovingly referred to her!) will be very pleased!

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
That is awesome!! Is it really a K????? What a gorgeous stone! I love the pic next to the E!
9.gif

SiegeX

Rough_Rock
Your "attention whore" (as you so lovingly referred to her!) will be very pleased!

Haha, now that I reread it again I can see how it sounds a bit crude but she openly calls herself one which is why I can say it in just.
12.gif

FYI, what T & Co has more than nice diamonds is extraordinary LIGHTING

You know, now that I think back to what I saw at Tiff&CO, you are very right, their cases were setup with direct overhead bright white hallogen lighting and everything in the case was white. I did notice that once they took it out of the case for me to look at it did loose a bit of its luster.

My girlfriend and I have been dating for 6 years now, and she used to drag me into jewelery stores all the time and I DESPISED it because I knew the sales people were going to try to do their best to sell me something before I walked out of the store and I knew going in I had no intention to buy anything. But this last time I went in by myself I actually found myself enjoying it! Sshh, don't tell my girlfriend I said that
9.gif
Plus they do treat you pretty well at Tiff&CO when you start to look at anything over 1.5ct.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL attention whore. Aren't we all ?

YOu know, I saw a 10 carat (yes, that's right) K asscher while at was at Mark's (no, wasn't buying it lol) and it was not yellow at all to me. It was a lovely stone. HUGE and kinda ridiculous, but in terms of quality, it was lovely. And that's an asscher....I think your stone looks very bright and lively! Congrats!!!

reena

Ideal_Rock
lol, i like that--i am a total attention whore too.
9.gif

attention whores unite! i may have to make that my new auto sig line.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Well, for me to wear my 3.29 (not counting the side stones -- lol), that I absolutely HAD to have (DH is probably so grateful he doesn't have to hear me bitch any longer that my diamond isn't big enough) and not say I'm an "AH"... well, I certainly wouldn't be fooling any PS'ers!!!

I'm so glad to have found this forum where I can be an "AH" and it is okay
1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Siege
congrat,that sure is a beautiful K stone !!!

DiamondLover23

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to reply so late, my computer has been malfunctioning!

BEAUTIFUL RING!

Can''t wait to see hand pics!!

(I too have a K stone and love it but mine is tiny!!)

diamond island

Rough_Rock
i cant see the pictures of the comparisons. Could you email them to me directly? I am looking into buying a 1.63 J VS1 Eightstar and thinking of setting it into a Tacori platinum. Wondering if the J will be okay in platinum and if the J will look yello with the two G color side stones on the Tacori? Thanks! [email protected]

SiegeX

Rough_Rock
Sorry about that, I moved the images on my computer and forgot I linked to them in this post, anyway they are fixed and you can now see the comparison, or really lack-there-of since its not even noticable.

A bit of an update, I proposed to my now fiance this past Friday Nov 26th and it went just as planned. I did it at Windows Resturante in downtown Los Angeles which is on the 32nd floor of the Transamerica building overlooking the entire city and especially the beautifully lit staple center. If you are in the LA area and dont mind spending $50/person on the best steak dinner you will ever have I highly recommend it. Here is a little article on it CHECK IT OUT

I was able to surprise her because it just so happens my father's birthday was on the 25th ( which is also Thanksgiving) and my parents helped out and fooled her into thinking we were going to celebrate my dad's b-day at windows. Little did she know that they would never show up and it would end up being her engagment dinner! Everything went as smooth as silk and she was wonderfully surprised and even more wonderfully shocked at the beauty of the ring.

Im going to buy a 5-Megapixel camera very soon so ill take tons of hand shots for you girls, but let me be the first one to say that there is NO WAY anybody could remotly tell this stone is of K color. When viewed in office light with incadacent lamps this stone looks ICE WHITE from just about all angles except a 90* side view. In this kind of light the diamond doesnt shimmer or sparkle at all but its pure ice white looks so gorgeous. However, in sunlight or overhead flourecent lights, HOLY COW! This diamond should come with one of those "do not stare directly at light for eye damage may occur" warning stickers like you see on those laser pens because this thing is ON FIRE. I swear to god in direct overhead sunlight, if you hit it just right it WILL cause you to put your hand in front of your eye because the glare is so strong
21.gif
21.gif
21.gif

Before I cause everybody to buy J-K colored stones, I want to make sure that I state that the MAIN reason why the K color is not apparent is because this diamond is AGS 000 ideal. God himself would have to cut a diamond to get it any more perfect than it already is. I saw PLENTY of J colored diamonds in retail stores that looked horribly yellow because they were not ideal, so please keep this in mind.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Hew Seige- Way to go. Nice proposal plan!
Congrats!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

NOW- hurry up and get that camera for "us girls"- as you put it!
9.gif

I can''t wait to see this K.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/15/2004 1:33:18 AM
Author: headlight

Well, for me to wear my 3.29 (not counting the side stones -- lol), that I absolutely HAD to have (DH is probably so grateful he doesn''t have to hear me bitch any longer that my diamond isn''t big enough) and not say I''m an ''AH''... well, I certainly wouldn''t be fooling any PS''ers!!!

I''m so glad to have found this forum where I can be an ''AH'' and it is okay
1.gif
If you don''t mind me asking, what is the total diamond weight your ring? I''m assuming your ring is the one pictured above your name...it is beautiful!
30.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2004 5:13:48 AM
Author: orbaya

Date: 10/15/2004 1:33:18 AM
Author: headlight

Well, for me to wear my 3.29 (not counting the side stones -- lol), that I absolutely HAD to have (DH is probably so grateful he doesn''t have to hear me bitch any longer that my diamond isn''t big enough) and not say I''m an ''AH''... well, I certainly wouldn''t be fooling any PS''ers!!!

I''m so glad to have found this forum where I can be an ''AH'' and it is okay
1.gif
If you don''t mind me asking, what is the total diamond weight your ring? I''m assuming your ring is the one pictured above your name...it is beautiful!
30.gif
Thank you for the nice compliment
1.gif
. I really need to re-do the photo in my avatar.
The center stone (RB) is 3.29, and the sidestone trillions TOTAL .75 (not .75 each).

Patty

Ideal_Rock
SiegeX, I''m not surprised that she loves it. Congrats on your engagement and on a great ring. I also can''t wait to see it!

book_of_love

Rough_Rock
That is an absolutely stunning ring! Congrats on a great choice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results