shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT My new 1.02 J VS2 RB from Blue Nile

susief

Shiny_Rock
It's here! Modest by PS standards but not by mine :lol: It's a belated 5 year anniversary gift.

Specs to follow. Here are my (not very good) photos to start with.

img_20160222_145236952.jpg

img_20160222_145046582.jpg

img_20160222_145957917.jpg

img_20160222_144018659.jpg

nhnurse1

Rough_Rock
Beautiful! I love my "J" stone

1826.jpg

susief

Shiny_Rock
Specs:

Round brilliant
GIA cert
1.02ct
J
VS2
Depth 61.9
Table 56
Crown angle 35.0
Pavilion angle 40.8
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Girdle med to med
Culet none
Fluorescence medium blue
Dimensions 6.44 x 6.47 x 4.00

HCA 0.9 - excellent for everything except spread which is very good.

Size 3.75 finger.

It was a Blue Nile "Ideal" cut, not from the Signature Ideal range.

Blue Nile were incredibly helpful throughout and though the stone was not in-house (most aren't with BN), they were able to have the stone viewed to ensure it was eye clean to my standards and confirm there were no negative effects of fluorescence. They were spot on and I think they are pretty reliable about this, as they told me another stone I was initially interested in was not eye clean, and that another had more warm tones from the side. They couldn't have been nicer when I flip-flopped on my stone and setting choice.

A big thank you to Diamondseeker and FlyingPig who gave helpful feedback when I was choosing! :appl:

susief

Shiny_Rock
Thank you nhnurse! Our rings look really similar!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I had to fly right over here after your last post in RT & wow!!! It just looks beautiful & flipping HUGE on your teeny finger!!!

Fabulous!! :appl: Looking forward to seeing it's forever home when that project happens, but in the meantime enjoy it. It's a stunning diamond :love:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
It looks lovely on you! I think it gives you a wonderful amount of finger coverage too! It turned out beautifully! :appl: Congratulations! :clap:

Q

Queenie60

Beautiful ring. Congratulations. And, looks wonderful on your finger, great coverage. Enjoy in good health. :love:

Downsy

Shiny_Rock
I'm another J owner here! (My recent 30th anniversary upgrade is a J with medium fluor too. It looks white in some lights and in some I see color.)

Your stone is beautiful and it looks bigger than 1 carat! You had really good luck buying from Blue Nile and getting an eye clean stone without being able to see a photo in advance.

Enjoy it!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's beautiful! the setting is magnificent and classic.. I love the set together. Congratulations and here's to many more!

:love: :love: :appl: :appl:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful, classic, and looks bigger than 1 ct for sure - more like 1.5+ct on your teeny tiny 3.75 finger!!!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that is soooo gorgeous! I love it! May I ask what the setting is called? It's stunning!

susief

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for your kind words everyone!!

Alex thank you! Tiny fingers are the one benefit of being a small person (I am 5'2") :lol: I had always thought I would want a semi bezel setting, and that I'd prefer a thicker and sturdier setting (neither of which BN do), but it turns out I actually like this setting so much I might just keep it as it is!

RockinRuby , Queenie and PintoBean thank you! Yes I love the finger coverage it gives. I haven't had any diamond at all for a year, and before then had much smaller ones, so this is new to me. I've never even tried on a 1 carat before!

Downsy yay to Js! I think I must be very insensitive to colour as I don't see any tint or warmth when I look at mine, so far. I wouldn't mind if I did, I like the warmer colours - would probably have gone lower if BN stocked them. Re: eye clean stones - Blue Nile actually get the stone checked on request for eye cleanliness and any other issues you want (I asked if there were any negative effects of the fluorescence). I had no idea about this until Gypsy told me on a previous thread. They give very detailed feedback (e.g. what can be seen face up v pavilion side) and steered me away from a couple of other stones I was interested, so I think they are pretty upfront. I think they have upped their game as we bought my original diamond from them 6 years ago and I'm sure none of this was offered then.

Overall I think the lack of ASETs, IS etc would put a lot of PSers off and I think it would be a good idea for BN to think about offering these through their vendors. I also wish they had a better selection of settings. But I got the stone for under $4000 equivalent, and something has to give when you're on a budget :wink2: Plus it was a breeze to buy in the UK and not have to bother with customs.

Tekate thank you! I'm so glad you like the set together - the band is my original wedding ring (3mm platinum, with 5.5 years worth of patina) and I really wanted to wear them together, but was worried the wedding band would overpower the thin e-ring setting. I think it looks ok though!

Pearaffair thank you! The setting is the Classic 6-prong setting in Platinum - essentially the most basic one that Blue Nile do. They have a 4-prong version too. It does look very nice though I'd prefer it to be a bit thicker. I'm a weird PSer in that I don't usually like thin delicate settings! But I did have the same setting for my original e-ring which I wore daily for a couple of years and it held up perfectly well, so hopefully this one will too.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring looks very beautiful on you! You can always have your band polished if you want it to have that shiny finish too!

Nice choice - I agree that the size looks larger than a one carat on you - lucky you with small fingers!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! Congratulations!! What setting is that?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful and it looks like a 2 carat on your tiny finger!! The classic setting and beautiful stone look gorgeous on you, congratulations on your belated 5 year anniversary!! :appl:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for letting me know :)

I adore your ring, and am planning an upgrade for my 5 year anniversary so this info helps!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A beautiful classic! :love:

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
I just love a classic solitaire! Congratulations!

susief

Shiny_Rock
MissGotRocks , JDDN , DancingFire and HegemonyCricket , thank you so much for your kind comments! You are all so lovely here. None of my RL friends or family are jewellery lovers and I predict no-one will even notice it (which is probably for the best, as upgrades and "big" diamonds are viewed with puzzlement over here), so it's great to have somewhere to share my excitement :cheeky:

Feb03bride thank you, it's the Blue Nile Classic 6-prong setting in platinum - here http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/classic-six-prong-ring-platinum_2?elem=img&track=product

pearaffair very exciting with the 5 year anniversary! It took me 5 months to decide what I wanted so start planning early :lol: I forgot to mention earlier, I asked for the diamond to be set as low as possible as the standard setting is quite high. They were able to adjust it for me even though it's a stock setting and I much prefer it this way. Let me know if you want photos of any other angles.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring. :love: I just love a gorgeous solitaire!
Happy 5 year anniversary. :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone and setting. A true classic :love: :love:
When I saw your pics the first posts I thought you had picked the band with the ring. I love love love the set. And how special to have more than 5 years of patina on your wedding ring.

Enjoy wearing your special set. I agree that your ring looks huge on your elegant and tiny hand.

susief

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your lovely comments lknvrb4 and missy !

Acinom thank you! No-one has ever described my hands as elegant before - they are very scratched up and dry (I work in a hospital so lots of hand washing!) So that's very kind of you :)) I am so glad you like the look of the two rings and think they go well together. I like the patina myself, just hope the new ring will hurry and catch up so they match!

PieNecessity

Rough_Rock
How beautiful!! I wouldn't call your ring modest at all. It's so classic and elegant. Congratulations!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty susie! Your petite fingers make it look huge!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely beautiful! :love:

susief

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much PieNecessity , Crystal , tyty and rayt ! You are so kind :))

OK, so having tried it on here and there for a couple of days, I still ADORE the diamond, it's everything I ever wanted. Buuuut.... the setting is bothering me. I like the way it looks but it is SO narrow and dainty. I like a bit of heft! Something that feels as if it's going to last a lifetime and put up years of wear. This is like a keyring on my finger.

Also I always secretly wanted a bezel - I didn't get it in the first place as I was already spending so much guilt set in and I went for the cheapest plat setting.

Blue Nile does have a really nice hefty bezel setting... probably not to everyone's taste as it is chunky, not delicate, but that's what I love. Here:

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/truly-zac-posen-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring-platinum_55260?elem=img&track=product

Should I just bite the bullet and pay a bit extra to get exactly what I want? It wouldn't be THAT much more... DH has said yes, BN are happy to make the change...

(look at me enabling myself :cheeky: )

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Susie, I love your new diamond, it's beautiful, congratulations!

I think you should get the setting you love! You will be wearing this ring for many years, I think it's worth it to get a ring that really speaks to you and that you are totally happy with.

And yes, I'm very impressed with your self-enabling skills! :D

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful, great stone :appl: The setting is classic and elegant and the stone looks enormous! Congratulations, enjoy! :love: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results