shape
carat
color
clarity

My mum HATES our suprise wedding idea

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
I truly apologize if my previous post was one of the ones that you found to be disrespectful. I read the main point of your original post to be that you were concerned that you were making your mom unhappy on one hand, but wanting to be happy yourself on the other hand. So, I meant to suggest a way you could both be happy and have what you wanted (a relaxed wedding) while also having what your mom wants (a non-surprise wedding). I am sorry if perhaps I didn''t convey that in the most constructive way.

However, now that you have posted again, I can see how I mis-interpreted your original post and that you were really asking for how to deal with your Mom within the context of a surprise wedding (not how to balance her happiness with yours). I''m glad you mentioned that your Mom is the type who is super hard to please and who will be critical of your wedding no matter what you do. That''s something I didn''t get from your first post that does make a *huge* difference in terms of what kind of advice I think people will have to offer. Dealing with one of "those" types of Mom''s is a whole different thing that just trying to appease a Mom who just has slightly different preferences from you on some of the wedding details. I know- my Mom is such a worry wort that she is critical of almost everything because she always assumes the worst will happen (i.e. she''s worried about a hurricane hitting our upstate New York wedding in May... um, I think that''s pretty much statistically impossible).

Anyway, the best way I''ve found to deal with my Mom is to first make sure my fiance and I are in full agreement on aspects of the wedding and then approach my Mom with wedding plans saying "Fiance and I talked about this extensively, and we''ve both compromised a bit to make sure we both like this plan. So, this is what we are going to go with because trying to undo that compromise now would be really hard." When signaling to my Mom that I''ve already had to "battle" to get some semblance of what I want, she tends to back down a bit. Perhaps yours would too.

Best of luck with everything and do update us on how it goes!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
High five from one non-traditional bride to another!

(I still think your idea is great btw!!!)

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 11:16:31 AM
Author: doodle
i'm 25, my mother is in her mid-40s so she's young to have a child already married, and she tends to be the creative, arty, laid-back type, but with weddings, she still has a mental image of pastel colors and champagne. she thought my DH and i were crazy when we picked blue, aqua, purple, and lime as our wedding colors, but she loved it once she saw everything come together

Hi there Hawaiian, I'm glad you're back!!
36.gif

I am a bit hit and miss with the forums, so I didn't realise before that this was an ENGAGEMENT party, and that not only that, it was a party that has been postponed from before, so all your rellies and friends will be very excited about this event!

I think that's a terrific plus for your idea, and not only that there is a leeedle bit of a 'tradition' in engagement parties becoming 'something more...' is there not?!

I've quoted Doodle, because I think she really sums up an aspect of weddings - it really is an emotional trigger for all of us, especially the girls but the guys as well, what would a wedding be without the petty jealousies, the misunderstandings or the 'better ideas'... your mum, just like you, has had an idea of what a 'real' (or really desirable) wedding is, fixed in her head probably from before her tenth birthday, so if she's close to you or likes you, she is likely to want to really 'communicate' with you about her 'big ideas'! You'll have to do what you are planning, and communicate right back!!

3.gif

Anyway, you've probably got this all sorted or semi-sorted by now... hope you are enjoying your wedding preps, anyway!!
1.gif

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 12:23:38 PM
Author: havernell

Anyway, the best way I''ve found to deal with my Mom is to first make sure my fiance and I are in full agreement on aspects of the wedding and then approach my Mom with wedding plans saying ''Fiance and I talked about this extensively, and we''ve both compromised a bit to make sure we both like this plan. So, this is what we are going to go with because trying to undo that compromise now would be really hard.'' When signaling to my Mom that I''ve already had to ''battle'' to get some semblance of what I want, she tends to back down a bit. Perhaps yours would too.

Best of luck with everything and do update us on how it goes!
this is great advice thanks Havernell... i''m sure that when she sees it is something that we both want to do and are united on it she will come around
1.gif

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 1:19:19 AM
Author: LaraOnline

Date: 4/9/2009 11:16:31 AM
Author: doodle
i''m 25, my mother is in her mid-40s so she''s young to have a child already married, and she tends to be the creative, arty, laid-back type, but with weddings, she still has a mental image of pastel colors and champagne. she thought my DH and i were crazy when we picked blue, aqua, purple, and lime as our wedding colors, but she loved it once she saw everything come together

Hi there Hawaiian, I''m glad you''re back!!
36.gif

I am a bit hit and miss with the forums, so I didn''t realise before that this was an ENGAGEMENT party, and that not only that, it was a party that has been postponed from before, so all your rellies and friends will be very excited about this event!

I think that''s a terrific plus for your idea, and not only that there is a leeedle bit of a ''tradition'' in engagement parties becoming ''something more...'' is there not?!

I''ve quoted Doodle, because I think she really sums up an aspect of weddings - it really is an emotional trigger for all of us, especially the girls but the guys as well, what would a wedding be without the petty jealousies, the misunderstandings or the ''better ideas''... your mum, just like you, has had an idea of what a ''real'' (or really desirable) wedding is, fixed in her head probably from before her tenth birthday, so if she''s close to you or likes you, she is likely to want to really ''communicate'' with you about her ''big ideas''! You''ll have to do what you are planning, and communicate right back!!

3.gif

Anyway, you''ve probably got this all sorted or semi-sorted by now... hope you are enjoying your wedding preps, anyway!!
1.gif
Ha ha not even close Lara!
emsmile.gif
I''m avoiding it a little right now.
But the plans are coming along fabulously! I just won some white lanterns on ebay... my first wedding purchase!!
36.gif
woo hoo!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:41:08 AM
Author: hawaiianorangetree
But the plans are coming along fabulously! I just won some white lanterns on ebay... my first wedding purchase!!
36.gif
woo hoo!

Isn''t that so exciting! I remember making my first wedding purchase. Sadly, its not something we will use in the end but it was still exciting!

Congrats in getting those lanterns!

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 3:41:08 AM
Author: hawaiianorangetree
Ha ha not even close Lara!
emsmile.gif
I''m avoiding it a little right now.
36.gif
woo hoo!
Please stop in with you''re looking at doing for decorations - I love the idea of lanterns.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results