shape
carat
color
clarity

My mother's c.1940s 5 stone ring

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys,

I have been lurking around ever since my BF and I got engaged. I am currently waiting for a proper proposal with the ring I designed. I will do a whole post on that. I snapped some quick pics of my Mom's 5 stone diamond and platinum ring which was my Grandmother's custom design. I apologize for the quality of the pics and the quality of my nails! I wasn't planning on displaying these pictures when I took them, but since I don't have the ring and wanted to post it, I thought these would be better than nothing. I'm afraid I don't know the stats on the ring since my mother hasn't had it appraised (I've tried telling her what a mistake this is, especially for insurance reasons). I also don't know the size of my middle finger. My ring finger is a size 4.5 and I can fit a size 5 ring that I have on my middle finger, but it's really tight and I wouldn't wear that size, if that gives any perspective. These pictures were taken outside on a partly cloudy/partly sunny day.

5stn2.jpg

5stnside.jpg

5ston3.jpg

_737.jpg

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
More pics

More pics!

_738.jpg

5stone4.jpg

badprofile5stone.jpg

_739.jpg

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
The brooch

Just for the heck of it, here's the brooch I'm making my e-ring out of (I'm using the center stone only for this ring). I will know the specs on that stone for sure when my ring is completed, but for now all I know is that it's about 1.5 carats, late 1890s, maybe 1900 old european cut and that it belonged to my great grandmother originally. My grandmother made a brooch out of the stone, so the brooch is more recent than the stone by 40 years or so. It's platinum and the other diamonds are about 23 points. The brooch pic was taken indoors with a bad camera and I didn't mention it, but I don't know the last time my mom cleaned her 5 stone ring...I probably don't want to know.

broochhand.jpg

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty 5 stone!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your grandmother had some nice pieces! I'm glad I read further to see its the centre stone only of the brooch, not the whole thing, cuz I though how inconvenient that size ring would be... :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your mother's five stone ring!

That is some brooch (reminds me of a peacock!) and your ering is sure to be beautiful using that center stone! What a wonderful story you will have to share about your ring with your children and grandchildren - lots of family history!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, that's a whole lotta diamonds on that brooch! And a lovely center stone - can't wait to see what you do with it!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MissGotRocks|1346586444|3261195 said:
Thanks for sharing your mother's five stone ring!

That is some brooch (reminds me of a peacock!) and your ering is sure to be beautiful using that center stone! What a wonderful story you will have to share about your ring with your children and grandchildren - lots of family history!

This! I love a good antique stone, but so few of us have one that has our OWN family history attached to it! That's awesome! Can't wait to see your finished ering!

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! I am super excited for my ring. It'll be a low profile simple halo with pave down the band in platinum. I have the CAD, but I'm waiting to make a post for it. I believe there are 33 (I counted last before I gave it to the Jeweler a month ago, but it's definitely 30 something) 23-point diamonds on the brooch, which of course are way too big to use for my ering...which is fine with me because I plan on making an eternity band out of them in the future! The Jeweler took a fairly quick look at those smaller diamonds and told me they were all full cut OECs and that one is chipped and the rest are in great condition for a ring. I have a small finger, 4.5, so I'll still have some leftover after that. My grandmother would be very happy that her brooch is no longer sitting in the vault! It sat there for probably close to 10 years and everyone pretty much forgot about it. When my parents offered it to us for my engagement ring, I certainly jumped at the chance. I am very interested to see the grading report on the center diamond, but what counts most, I know, is that it's a beautiful, sparkly stone that's been in the family for so long and looks fantastic to me! I would guess it's probably in the SI clarity, but eye clean, range because the salesperson (not the Jeweler) mentioned one feather inclusion when she was looking at it under the loupe, but that was looking at the stone set so who knows. I should have my ring in a week or two. It depends on how long my fiance takes to throw a proposal together once he gets the ring!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
What beautiful pieces! I can't wait to see your engagement ring and then someday your eternity (23 pointers will be awesomely blingy on your tiny hand!).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, how very, very, lucky you are to have such wonderful family jewelry!!! I hope my grandchildren will say the same about mine one day!

Your mother's 5 stone ring is beautiful and looks like it is excellent quality. And that broach, wow! The center stone is gorgeous and will make a wonderful ring! And the little stones will make a great eternity ring, too!

I can't wait to see your finished projects!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Also, the extra diamonds could make a killer DBTY someday!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh YES! Good idea rose bloom! I like the idea of a gorgeous DBTY in OECs. Yummy :lickout:

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
Rosebloom said:
Also, the extra diamonds could make a killer DBTY someday!

diamondseeker2006 said:
Wow, how very, very, lucky you are to have such wonderful family jewelry!!! I hope my grandchildren will say the same about mine one day!

Your mother's 5 stone ring is beautiful and looks like it is excellent quality. And that broach, wow! The center stone is gorgeous and will make a wonderful ring! And the little stones will make a great eternity ring, too!

I can't wait to see your finished projects!

Rosebloom: That's a great idea!! I hadn't thought of it and I think they'd be a nice size for that style.

Diamondseeker2006: I am definitely lucky. I totally covet my mom's ring...it's really beautiful and eye catching in person. My Grandma was good friends with a Jeweler and designed all of her pieces with him. I have a very cute buckle style art deco ring of hers that she wore as a pinky ring, but is perfect for my ring finger. I'll have to post it sometime. I will probably have the ering to post in a couple weeks...I'm SOOO impatient.

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
Rosebloom|1346609665|3261355 said:
What beautiful pieces! I can't wait to see your engagement ring and then someday your eternity (23 pointers will be awesomely blingy on your tiny hand!).

I have been looking for pictures of eternity rings with similar sized diamonds on my size finger (or close) but haven't had any luck finding any let. I will have to keep looking. The problem with searching is that the total ct weight is always posted, but I can't necessarily determine the size of the individual stones from that since the number of stones varies based on size!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Grandmother/Mom have really good taste! Cant wait to see your ring!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Now that is a lot of great bling! Lucky you!

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
ariel144 said:
Now that is a lot of great bling! Lucky you!
tyty333|1346633441|3261541 said:
Thanks guys! I am super excited for my ering. The Jeweler quoted 4 weeks or less and it will be exactly 4 weeks this coming Saturday, the 8th. I'm not sure how much time it will take my FI to put together a proposal...I'm kind of hoping instantaneously at this point! We got engaged July 21st, so my finger is tired of being naked!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Love your Mom's ring. I, of course, didn't read before I saw what you wrote about the brooch and thought, "Whoa, how's she gonna pull wearing THAT ring off?" :lol: The center stone is going to look perfect on your finger! How fortunate to have a great grandmother, grandmother and Mom that all have awesome taste in jewelry?! Can't wait to see the ering....

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gasped when I saw the 5-stone ring, and that is a phenomenal brooch!! I think it would be fun to put a coloured stone in the centre and wear it for a while, if you take a break between projects! ;-)

I look forward to seeing the e-ring when it's done and/or as it progresses. That looks like a beautiful centre stone!

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
vinjewels|1346782219|3262238 said:
Love your Mom's ring. I, of course, didn't read before I saw what you wrote about the brooch and thought, "Whoa, how's she gonna pull wearing THAT ring off?" :lol: The center stone is going to look perfect on your finger! How fortunate to have a great grandmother, grandmother and Mom that all have awesome taste in jewelry?! Can't wait to see the ering....

Thank you!! I love their Jewelry. Great thing is I'm the only daughter so I get everything :) I am so paranoid the ering is going to come back with something not perfect. I just saw CAD, not the wax so I've never actually had it in hand to look at it in and feel it. I really hope it's this weekend, but it will probably be next weekend.

NKOTB said:
I gasped when I saw the 5-stone ring, and that is a phenomenal brooch!! I think it would be fun to put a coloured stone in the centre and wear it for a while, if you take a break between projects! ;-)

I look forward to seeing the e-ring when it's done and/or as it progresses. That looks like a beautiful centre stone!

Thank you! We're actually using the tons of platinum in the brooch to offset the cost of the ring. It's beautiful, but not really my style. Since my Grandma dismantled her Mom's original piece to make the brooch, I'm sure she wouldn't mind! One salesperson seriously looked like she was going to cry when I told her what I was doing with the brooch, though. The center stone is really pretty. The cut is great (visually, I have no idea on paper) and the culet doesn't appear totally massive like some can, which I don't usually like.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results