shape
carat
color
clarity

My (mostly completed) FY e-ring

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
First, I want to thank everyone on PS for all of their help over the past few months, whether it was answering questions about settings, or just generally posting helpful threads to give me ideas for my own project.

I started down the path of getting a sapphire from one of the cutters on PS, but after a few months (and consultation with the gf), decided to go with a yellow diamond. I really enjoyed looking at everyone's pieces on here, as well as the stock of FCDs that DBL and Leibish have. Kenny's collection was always fun to look at too :love:

I was convinced to go with DBL or Leibish, but just before I was going to pull the trigger, a jeweler I have a family relationship with offered me a deal I could not beat- a stone and a custom hand-forged setting, at cost.

So, here she is!

Stats according to the GIA report:
1.75 ct (6.88x6.43x4.37)
Cushion modified brilliant
Fancy Yellow
VS1
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG

As for the setting, it is a hand-forged 18kt gold head with a platinum shank. The shank has 26 (13 per side) F colored VS2 round brilliant diamonds totalling .36ct.

Please excuse the hastily-taken photographs with my point and shoot. First, they are way too-zoomed in, I know. Second, they are taken all at night under a basic table lamp- I won't be able to get any outdoor shots or daylight shots until the weekend.

Also, I say "mostly completed" in the title because I'm debating whether to do further work on the setting, (for details, see [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-big-of-a-color-difference-would-this-make-fy-setting.173623/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-big-of-a-color-difference-would-this-make-fy-setting.173623/[/URL])

Photo 1.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring! What is it that gives the stone that crushed ice look I see with diamonds sometimes?

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
Well, I know that with FCDs the stones are cut to maximize color, not light return, so there tends to be less symmetry- perhaps that explains the crushed ice look? I'm not sure.

What I do know is that my gf picked this stone out of a whole set, so at least I know she likes it :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks great; I always enjoy seeing pictures of FCDs. Are you concerned about the depth of colour, hence the questions on the other thread? Have you seen the ring yet? I recommend waiting until you have "lived" with the ring for a while before making such a modification.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
It turned out beautifully! Has your g/f seen it yet? she may be just thrilled with the way it is and may not want any modifications made to it, especially as per the other post, it may reduce light and make cleaning more difficult.

Live with it for a while first - and from my perspective -I think I could live quite happily with that ring AS IS !!! :appl:

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
I do have the ring in hand- those photos are taken from my (apparently not very clean :(( ) desk. Personally, I think it looks great as is, and I was going to hold off on any modifications until after I got my gf's thoughts (indeed, probably until after I propose and she lives with it for awhile). I am not especially concerned about the depth of color, though I will have to see it in more lighting conditions before I can really make that judgment. So far, all I've had time to see it under is my desk lamp.

Thank you all for the compliments! I love the ring, and I have to say I found most of my inspiration from the many FCD posts here.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ddgdl|1333131071|3160020 said:
Well, I know that with FCDs the stones are cut to maximize color, not light return, so there tends to be less symmetry- perhaps that explains the crushed ice look? I'm not sure.

What I do know is that my gf picked this stone out of a whole set, so at least I know she likes it :)

As do I, very much - I'm sorry if it came across as my saying something negative - I love that crushed ice look (whatever it is) and only ever see it in diamonds.

As for the color, I think it is perfect as is. It clearly is a yellow stone; you really don't need to emphasize the color any more unless of course you have a burning desire to do so. Honestly, you have chosen an elegant and understated setting that sets off the stone very well. I would do nothing more to it.

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
Thanks!! :appl:

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
I think it's beautiful just the way it is.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Radiants often have that crushed ice look--its just a matter of how the stone was cut!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
W :love: W!!!!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely FCD and ring! :love:

I'm so happy to contribute to people deciding to go with a fancy colored diamond.
The have the best of both worlds, the seductive beauty and emotional content of color AND the unique and stunning optical properties of diamond.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1333128561|3159988 said:
Pretty ring! What is it that gives the stone that crushed ice look I see with diamonds sometimes?

I guess it is the same thing that amps up the color.
Radiants cause the light to bounce around more times before exiting out the top.
In fancy colored diamonds it causes the light to pick up more body color
This results in a higher GIA color grade which raises the price.

But also another thing is going on - at least here is my theory.

We focus on things at one distance.
When looking at something further away we focus on that.
When looking at something closer we focus on that.

A diamond with many light paths (some of short and and some of long lengths) is one object that contains many focusing lengths.
This is a somewhat confusing object for the eye/brain system.

I think our reaction to radiant diamonds resembles the crushed ice effect where the eye finds both sharply-focused and out of focus things all mixed together at one distance.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice explanation which totally makes sense. You make me want a radiant diamond (colored, of course).

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and diamond. I would leave it as is because it is stunning.

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the compliments- as I said before, you were all very helpful in the process, and many of your pieces served as inspiration!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
There is nothing that I would add right now, to improve that ring. I think it will go the distance easily! Thanks for sharing - its always good when the FCD crowd grows! Especially bringing radiants onboard - we don't see enough of them.

Oh wait. There IS something that you can do to enhance the ring. How about a 12ct martian pink accent stone? :naughty:

Just kidding.

Sorta.

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
:naughty: :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHen is the proposal?

I think it's perfect just as it is, but wait to get her input.

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
The proposal won't be until this summer- but as I said above, it was a deal I couldn't pass up. Now I have to go get a safe deposit box or otherwise get it out of my house---the wait would be impossible to bear otherwise!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results