shape
carat
color
clarity

My Montana sapphires

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Another thread was discussing Montana blue sapphires, so I’m opening a new one with pinks.
Below is a 1.44ct emerald cut lighter pink sapphire. As usual, after I photograph my gems, I hold the gems next to my computer monitor, and correct the color and tone of the photo to match the actual gem, with my $700 CS5 Photoshop program.

MSapp5150.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
I think it was TL, who asked to see my original, un-doctored pictures. Well here you are! Usually my camera is close to color accurate, but in this case, it was quite far off. Below is what my camera captured, before being corrected. Quite a difference.

5150origColor.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Below is a 1.24 ct coffin cut Montana sapphire of exceptional intensity, near ruby color.

MSapp5153.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Below is the camera capture, before slight adjustment. The photo straight out of my camera was close. I only had to tweak up the intensity and darken the tone slightly. So on my expensive, calibrated LaCie Monitor, which is made for photo editing, this is what the gem looks like. But when I bring up this picture with Windows Viewer, it shows more saturation. So I’m not sure what you’re seeing on your un-calibrated monitor.

5153origColor.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the photos! I love those pink sapphires!

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Now that I've uploaded the pictures, the actually coffin cut color intensity is about in between these two pictures.

The story on these gems: They came from the Missouri River alluvial deposits. A person closely related to the mining operation, selected the finest pink crystals for about 8 years and set them aside. This collection was about 100 rough crystals. I got to select from them, and picked the 3 finest crystals from his 8 year selection. You see two here; the third hasn’t been cut yet, but is close to this coffin cut in color. It will probably cut a small diamond outline. I also have a Montana blue sapphire, pear cut, huge at 2.60 cts, but poor color and so-so clarity.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Very nice Montanas! Lucky you! Smart you! :lol:

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Love the pinks...very intense color! You don't see many like that around. :appl:

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
I love Montana Sapphires.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, those are gorgeous! I love the colors!

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
I love them! Pink Sapphires are gorgeous!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Your pictures and description of the process are always so educational- and beautiful too!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second one looks stunning, and the uncorrected and corrected photos look almost the same on my uncalibrated monitor. Phenomenal piece!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful pics as usual zeolite.

I find the "coffin cut" to be a very attractive stone. Quite unusual coming from Montana.

Not sure but don't the old time coffins have eight sides? I am not sure of the official name but I have always called that shape a calf head.
One day I would like to use that same shape diamonds as side stones in a ring.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh My, Those colors are amazing!!!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! Very interesting and beautiful sapphires.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! How are you going to set them?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm not usually into pink....but i love emeral type cuts: i love that first one!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very good pictures and I certainly appreciate the before and after pictures, showing how difficult it is to capture what the eye sees versus the camera sees.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
kas baby|1314502333|3003219 said:
Your pictures and description of the process are always so educational- and beautiful too!
'I'm very pleased if you find my posts educational. That is my intention.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
colormyworld|1314508968|3003284 said:
Beautiful pics as usual zeolite.

I find the "coffin cut" to be a very attractive stone. Quite unusual coming from Montana.

Not sure but don't the old time coffins have eight sides? I am not sure of the official name but I have always called that shape a calf head.
One day I would like to use that same shape diamonds as side stones in a ring.

Thank you!I just did an internet search on "coffin", and all came up 6 sided. I do like the term calf's head; I'd forgotten about that. This cut is wider than a coffin, and makes more sense as a calf's head. It's such an uncommon name, and in marketing terms, perhaps coffin is not the best choice.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
crasru|1314503523|3003242 said:
The second one looks stunning, and the uncorrected and corrected photos look almost the same on my uncalibrated monitor. Phenomenal piece!

Hmm, interesting comment, Crasru! The two "calf's head" pictures look different on my monitor, and I was wondering why. I think I have the answer. Most computer monitors, internet browsers (Explorer and Firefox) and pictures cover a narrower range of color space, called sRGB. My LaCie monitor is made for photo editing, and covers a considerably wider color space (more intense colors). This color space is called Adobe RGB (1998). Yours is a very important input, that the two pictures almost the same on your monitor.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
centralsquare|1314545274|3003517 said:
Beautiful! How are you going to set them?

No settings. They will join my hundreds of loose stones.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
zeolite|1314641032|3004613 said:
crasru|1314503523|3003242 said:

Hmm, interesting comment, Crasru! The two "calf's head" pictures look different on my monitor, and I was wondering why. I think I have the answer. Most computer monitors, internet browsers (Explorer and Firefox) and pictures cover a narrower range of color space, called sRGB. My LaCie monitor is made for photo editing, and covers a considerably wider color space (more intense colors). This color space is called Adobe RGB (1998). Yours is a very important input, that the two pictures almost the same on your monitor.

It looks different on my work monitor, which is an external monitor recently bought for my laptop. At my home monitor, there was absolutely no difference in colors. To be quite frank, when I buy stones i use my Droid - it has best color sensitivity and then you can minimize the images and see them all on one screen and compare the saturation. I have not seen your stones on my Droid yet.

- checked. They do look different, but less so than on my work external monitor.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Those are really beautiful. I had no idea that Montana sapphires came in these colors.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1314676282|3005130 said:
Those are really beautiful. I had no idea that Montana sapphires came in these colors.

Ditto! Shows you what I know :twirl: !

That coffin stone would make a lovely pendant turned upside down with a diamond at the top (hope that makes since).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results