shape
carat
color
clarity

my mom''s pendant . . . reassure me please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock

I just received the pendant that I got as my dad''s emissary for an anniversary present for my mom.

Here are the stats:

0.82 I SI1 GIA excellent
60.6 depth
57 table
33.5 crown
40.8 pavilion
no culet
thin to medium girdle

scores 0.9 on the HCA

I was going to have it set in the solstice setting that I have (my mom had tried on my necklace and liked it) and in fact had ordered it, but then my dad said he liked their simple 4 prong style with the box chain instead, so I cancelled and reordered.

It''s definitely very, very beautiful, but I am disappointed how easily I can see the inclusions in a GIA certed stone under 1 carat.

8.gif
I can sort of see one in the table just left and down from center (although I spotted it first in the idealscope), and I can see a couple of ugly black inclusions from the bottom. I realize that SI1 refers more to the top view than anything, and that most engagement rings don''t allow you to look clearly at the bottom of the stone. And I also realize that if you can''t see it when it''s worn, what''s the big deal right? But I would really hate for my mom to spot them and be disappointed or for a friend of hers to grab it and find them. Am I being silly? I usually buy myself SI2 but I was going for quality for my mom. I realize I could have bought a VS2 but I thought that under 1 carat I''d be ok. So I could use some reassurance that it''s really ok. My parents are both pretty blind and I''m sure they won''t notice anything but I guess I don''t want someone to grab my mom''s pendant and then think my dad did a bad job of picking it out.

I''m sure I could return it although I snipped off the little thing already. They have pretty good customer service and this is the third diamond "design your own" I''ve bought from them in the last year. But I really don''t want to go to the hassle. Argh. I think if we''d gone with the solstice setting this wouldn''t be an issue, but the setting my dad wanted is open from the bottom.

Speaking of, I actually like my mom''s setting better than mine. This is just getting worse and worse! OK, now I''m overreacting.

Last but not least . . . my setting advertised an 18 inch chain but came with a 17 inch chain. That''s one of the reasons I wanted to order my mom the same setting as mine . . . she had mentioned how the length was perfect and I was afraid that the 18 inch chain would be too low for her. But hers came with a 17 inch chain despite the fact that the site clearly says an 18 inch chain. Isn''t that weird? I absolutely think 17 inches is the perfect length but I wonder why they aren''t advertising it correctly.

OK, here are some pics . . . come through for me with the reassurance please!

mominboxJuly16.jpg

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
our pendants for comparison

mine is 0.52 K SI2

momandmineJuly16.jpg

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
another comparison shot

momandmine2July16.jpg

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
a side view to show the difference in the settings

momandmine3July16.jpg

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
through the idealscope with the cardboard removed

momcloseupJuly16.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d probably try and return it and exchange it for a higher clarity stone. it''s one thing if you''re buying for yourself, see the inclusions and they don''t bother you. it''s another to give some as a gift with visible inclusions IMO.

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
I really don''t think this will be a problem; the stone looks lovely. NO one should be so close to your mom''s throat that they can examine the diamond and see the inclusions! For a pendant,I would maximize size and sparkle, and it looks like this stone has both.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2007 10:09:27 AM
Author: mrssalvo
I''d probably try and return it and exchange it for a higher clarity stone. it''s one thing if you''re buying for yourself, see the inclusions and they don''t bother you. it''s another to give some as a gift with visible inclusions IMO.
Yep, I agree. I would exchange it.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
OK, I feel better now. I won''t say I wasn''t disappointed, I was. I talked to my husband and my sister, and they both felt that it wasn''t any big deal and that I shouldn''t mention it to my parents. I''ll have my husband look at it when he gets home for a second opinion, but it really is eye-clean from the top except when I hold it right up to my eye. My parents are both legally blind without their glasses and my Mom has arthritis so I''m more concerned they won''t be able to put it on without my help than that they''ll notice the inclusions.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eh, your parents friends are probably blind too ....
3.gif
. I think you''re just too close to this. You''re trying to help your Dad out, but SERIOUSLY ... you''ve already helped him pick out something way better than he would have on his own, right? Right? If it''s only bothering YOU .. and only WILL bother YOU ... why hassle with a return & more $$ or more time etc.

If it was a ring I might feel differently -- not that young cashiers looking at her ring and seeing something from the side would be so very tragic!! -- but it would just generally get more close inspection.

Chances are she''ll just put this necklace on and never take it off!
23.gif
You''ll have to stop by and clean it once a year with jewelry wipes!!
9.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Decode! That was exactly the type of post I needed!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2007 12:03:09 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
Thanks Decode! That was exactly the type of post I needed!
You're quite welcome!

I forgot to say that I think it's GORGEOUS!!! I *also* really love the setting & the box chain & the 17 inch length!!! (Of course yours is a beauty too ... just different looks.)

I'm SURE she'll be delighted!
18.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My 78 year old mom thinks every diamond she sees is exceptional in quality. Trust me, your mom will love the diamond and will never, ever see the inclusions.

You did great!!!
36.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
My husband is totally going to laugh at me because I said I wouldn''t try it on . . .

But hey, if I went store shopping with my dad, I would have tried on the pendant then, right? It''s not like I''m going to wear it around the house or out or anything. I just wanted a neck shot! Here it is.

OK, I am totally having diamond envy! 0.82 carats beat 0.52 carats any day! Oiy . . .

MomneckshotJuly16.jpg

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
"OK, I am totally having diamond envy!"

There you go! That is your answer. It is lovely. They are blind. Their friends are too! Life is great! I am just kidding. But if you go back and read the thread...that is pretty much what it boils down to. Like others have said to be that close to her neck to see I think she would swat anyone away that shouldn't be there. Will anyone that loves her say, It is pretty but OMG!!! What is that?

You helped your dad get his sweetheart something better that what he could have done on his own! Good job! You are a great kid! ETA: Oh I forgot to mention...I think it is beautiful! I love the setting. Your dad has a great eye for design! I too envy!

DKS

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Well in these pictures the pendant looks absolutely fabulous! I love the setting you ended up ordering and the diamond is a terrific size. I would go ahead and get your husband''s opinions on the inclusions. Remember that we are all diamond obsessed here on pricescope and not everyone else examines things so closely.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t see the inclusion

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the pendant is lovely and I am sure your mom will love it. Maybe you can get a chain long enough she can just pull it on over her head so they won''t ever have to mess with a clasp.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a lovely pendant, and a lovely gesture, both on your part and your father''s. I agree with the others that they will never notice any lack of perfection...they will just notice the beauty as well as the sentiment behind it.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/16/2007 12:00:34 PM
Author: decodelighted
Eh, your parents friends are probably blind too ....
3.gif
This made me laugh
emwink.gif
!

I think that it is lovely, and what a beautiful size to boot! I am sure that your mother will love it!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t see any inclusions or black spots from the pics you posted. The one on your neck gives a great indication of size and the chain length, I think they''re perfect. I agree with Deco and others who mentioned that you''re dealing with people with not such great eyesight here and absolutely no one''s going to be that close to your mother''s neck as to find an inclusion in that stone. You are a wonderful daughter to have helped your dad so far to find this lovely pendant for your mom...what good will it do now to keep stressing out over the stone/chain length, etc? but if you must, go with your gut feeling. If you yourself wouldn''t wear it I guess you can''t give it to your mom in good conscience.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I think it looks INCREDIBLE. I wouldn''t be too fussed about the clarty... after all who''s going to get that close to it anyway?! The other issue at hand is that I''m GREEN with envy, it''s a perfect size and looks as clear as a bell, from here anyway!
41.gif
Your mum is a lucky, lucky lady!

And I agree with Deco, I''m tipping this will exceed her wildest jewellery dreams! A job well done, phoenix
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is a possibility that if your mom is a little older, that she won''t even be able to spot the inclusion. Honestly, if it''s face up clean then that''s probably fine in my opinion. I would tell her that it is returnable for a smaller, different, whatever pendant to give her an out in case she see''s the inclusion.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
I agree...it looks beautiful!! She will love it :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results