shape
carat
color
clarity

My master plan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JT

Rough_Rock

A little history........My girlfriend and I grew up next door to each other (I now live on my own). When I was 14, she was 13, I asked her if she wanted to my girlfriend. The place I asked her was on a path in the woods that led from her house to mine. It will be 6 years on October 7th and this is the place where I want to ask her to spend the rest of her life with me.

This is the plan. I want to take her out to dinner that night (like we always do) and go for a walk in the park. I have made it very clear that I think proposing on this date is corny. When I take her home I will walk her to the front door and say my goodbyes. When she walks into her bedroom there will be candles everywhere and roses on the bed with a note instructing her to push the play button on her CD player. There will be another note on the CD player but will say not to open until the CD has finished. The CD will be a mix of love songs that we have shared over the past six years. While she is listening to the CD the rest of her family and I will be busy lining the path from her house to the place I asked her out with White bags with tea candles inside.(This can only be done after she is inside because you can see the path from her front door). There will also be rose pedals that lead from her front door to the "spot". Once the CD is finished the next note will let her know to go the front door etc.

When she gets to the spot I will be there with a "box" that I have been working on for over a week now and will put pictures up as soon as it is done. I will show her the "box" and explain to her how our lifes resemble the box....

The box is made from Poplar (softwood) and Oak (hardwood). It took both woods create something beautiful and unique. The box is held together using what appear to be simple joints. Each joint had to be cut perfect in order to fit tight and support the other side. Some joints I cut went together on the first try others took a lot of work and compromise to finally get them to fit together. There were times when it seemed like the pieces just were not going to fit together and it seemed like it would be easier to just forget about the whole thing and do something else. There are no nails holding this together; nothing is forcing it stay together. It's the perfect fit of each piece that keeps it together and strong. And just like everything else; it's what’s on the inside that counts.

Then it will be down on one knee and you know the rest...

I have everything but the rose pedals (including the help her parents and brother).

I know this is sappy, but It’s personal and I think she will like it.

PICTURES BELOW....

Please give some feedback and suggestions.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
JT,
It''s perfect. That is the sweetest proposal idea I have read in long time. She will love it.
36.gif

MissCongeniality

Shiny_Rock
I love the idea. how very sweet...

i think that the box idea is great. It will mean so much that you made the box yourself...and the two of you will have the box forever.

as I kept reading I realized where you were going with the box idea - its a great little metaphor....very personal and very romantic!

i would totally say yes.

How lucky she is ! wow.

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
Aw JT, I think she will love this very thougtful proposal!! Keep us posted!

ETA: And I love what the box symbolizes!! Very sweet.

JT

Rough_Rock
Thanks!! I will definitely keep you posted and will put some pictures up as soon as I''m finished with the box.

Groovy Chick

Shiny_Rock
OK! I''m crying!

Fantastic idea!

Let us know how it goes :)

JT

Rough_Rock
Here are the pictures I promised. I''m not feelin the tint in the stain. I''m open to any suggestions!!
33.gif

dsc00560ou2.jpg

JT

Rough_Rock
Here you see how the lid will function and see some of the joints.

dsc00561cr6.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe a redder stain?

white wash would be cute.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
allow more time to light the tealight candle bagthings than you think you will need.

JT

Rough_Rock
There will be 50 bags with 50 candles. There will be 5 people lighting so 10 bags/candles per person. We should have 15-20 minutes to light the candles and place the bags over a 100'' span. Should I allow more time?

I think I may cut small wholes in the back of each back so we can just take one of those long lighters and stick it in the bag to light the candles...this should save some time.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
lighting candle via small hole in back of bag + hands shaking from nerves/excitement = bags on fire
23.gif

I would therefore nix that idea. However, the rest of the plan sounds wonderful!

Munchkin

JT

Rough_Rock
Well, there will be candles and there will be bags, but I wont be doing that. Not only because of nerves, but because it will be October and I don't want to be running around getting all sweating and smelling (I know, how manly) before I propose. I got the bags from a local "candlescaping" company. The bags are fire retardant and I have set down and tried to catch one on fire and can't.

I have also tested this out because I was worried about time. It's pretty easy, the whole is 3" big so no challenge there, and the candle sits on top of some sand, so it wont tip over.
Put off a very nice glow in the dark.

Please keep letting me know the problems you see. I want this to go off without a hitch.

edit: i just realized in the first post i said i would be lighting the candles...just typing and not thinking
2.gif

stangman39

Rough_Rock
Great plan!
I''m sure she will love it and say yes!
I wish I could think of something great like that!

Mike

JT

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mike!

I kept thinking of all these extreme proposals, but it jus hit me one day. Keep thinking and I'm sure something creative will pop-up.

For anyone following.....

I decided to stain the box completely natural. This, to me, looks the best and it adds more meaning to the little metaphor I got going.

"There is nothing covering or changing the natural beauty of the two woods."

Not sure though, I'm terrible with words.

Groovy Chick

Shiny_Rock
I''m a bit worried that she might not stay in her room listening to the music for all that time? It would ruin it if she catches you all mid set-up. Are you absolutely sure she won''t leave her room for any reason?

GC

JT

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

That was a concern of mine as well, but I think the only way around it is to make it clear she must stay in her room until the CD is over. However, even after that I don't think she will see it coming because it’s not out of the ordinary for me to do something like that.

Also, I have been accidentally dropping hints as to when/where I'm going to propose. I just found out this weekend it's working perfectly. Her friend called me and said Ashley told her she is almost certain I'm proposing in the mountains (our fall trip to see the leaves changing colors) in early November...LOL

JT

Rough_Rock
More pictures....getting ready to put the pieces together.

dsc00562bu6.jpg

JT

Rough_Rock
Final product. All natural stain.

dsc00604lm5.jpg

JT

Rough_Rock
Open lid. I will be building an inside like a jewelery box, but I need the deminsion on the ring box first.
copyofdsc00606qm4.jpg

Here is the bottom. It's smooth and flush with all the sides.

dsc00607pq0.jpg

JT

Rough_Rock
Well, hopefully I will have the ring by Thursday!

I need opinions....

Should this box house the box for the ring? (box within a box)
Or
Shoud I make this the ring box? <--This idea is growing on me.
I would, of course, have the small box for her to keep.

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
I like the box within a box.

I hope, for your sake, that she stays in her room. If it were me I''d be running back out as I wouldn''t want to listen to love songs alone for 20 minutes.

JT

Rough_Rock
Very good point.

Maybe I should do scrap book to keep her occupied.

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
At the risk of being eaten alive on these forums (yet again), don''t stress too much. You are proposing, she''ll enjoy it no matter if there are faults in the plan. And it''s those little faults that you two will later be able to laugh at (I cursed at him after he gave me a ring, we tell everyone that my first words were "are you f-ing with me?", we laugh about that all the time).

If she runs out of the house and catches you lighting candles, you propose a bit early, right?! Or banish her back to her room, which is just as funny to tell friends and family later.

But if you are truly worried about her catching you off-guard why not simplify the plan rather than making it more complex with a photo album? Whip out the box (which is amazing by the way) and speech as you''re walking to her house and she sees all the tealights that her family has lit earlier in the day and then enjoy dancing to the love songs together in her room after the proposal.

JT

Rough_Rock
I agree.

It''s those silly little goof ups that make you laugh down the road. There will be faults.

I like the idea of pulling up and seeing the candles lit.

Theres just something about getting to watch her make her way down the candle lit path that I enjoy. Im also trying to recreate the moment, but in a more romantic way. I stood there almost six years ago, so nervous, wondering what she would say. I watched the most amazing person walk into my life on that path.

I just want to do that one more time.

Groovy Chick

Shiny_Rock
Oh man! I''m crying again! I just love this forum!

Larissa, you have sensible ideas and i''m sure nobody will eat you alive for them!

Whatever happens on the night it will be magic even if everything goes completely wrong! The box is absolutely unbelievable and yes I agree you should have the ring box inside it. There is nothing quite so exciting and full of promise as the sight of a jewellery box when a woman is receiving a gift and a ring box is the ultimate.

I''m so excited for you both! Can you get a family member to take pictures afterwards to post here pleeeeze!

Just make sure you act NORMAL on the night. Chicks pick up on stuff so don''t be extra lovey-dovey beforehand and try not to act nervous!

Ooooh I can''t wait!

GC

JT

Rough_Rock

Thank you!

It''s going to be hard to stay calm and act normal (lol), but I will do my best. Don''t worry, there will be tons of pictures and I will post plenty! I think I will go with the box within the box.

Groovy Chick, I''m with you. I absolutely cannot wait!! October seems like it will never come! Honestly, I think Christmas will be here before October 7th. LOL

JT

Rough_Rock
Well, I got the ring box today. I am going to go with the box within the box idea. Work will start this weekend on the insert that holds the box and pictures will soon follow...

Becky P

Shiny_Rock
This sounds like a GREAT idea! I would love this proposal! If you have her family''s help, then they could actually set up all the bags, sand, candles ahead of time while ya''ll are out at dinner. Then, with 5 people lighting candles, using those flame starters, or whatever, it would only take 2-3 minutes to get them all lit, which would be very quick. No need to cut holes in the back of the bags because you can light them from the top, right? Plus, a hole in the back might allow wind to blow through, thus putting out all the candles.

Also, since the family is helping, one of them could be stationed inside as a lookout to keep her inside until the songs finish... She''ll know something is up, but anticipation is also very fun.. :)

Good luck! Let us know how it goes! So excited to hear the story!

JT

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

I had one of those "duh, why didn''t I think of that" ideas a few days ago. The bags can''t be set up because whe would be able to see them from the front door when I walk her in. However, her family could go ahead and have the candles lit and sitting in the bags out of view. Then when she goes in they can line them up. The holes in the back are still practical because lighting them from above is difficult (fire burns up) or maybe they could just light them and drop them in. I need to ask her mom and see what she think since she will be doing a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results