shape
carat
color
clarity

My Mali Garnet from MasterCutGems

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am loving my new Mali from Dana. I'd never bought from him before, but he's so damned sweet, and I got a "surprise gift" of two spinels with my purchase. Too generous.

Anywho - I'm the new lucky owner of this stone: http://www.mastercutgems.com/preview.php?cat=284&id=6140 and something as gorgeous as this stone needs to be worn, so I've already bought this setting to put it in: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170659405161&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I took some pics with my iPhone which seems to pick up the best colors, but it's still far from showing it's beauty. Dana actually got the little rainbows of colors in his pic pretty well (kudos to him), but I'll show you mine too, just for fun.

mali3.JPG

mali.JPG

mali2.JPG

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Its so pretty!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! What size are the spinels?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a very bad picture of all of them together. I think they were 1'ish carat each.

262700_10150225637663165_615598164_7391332_4109727_n.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty...waiting for the mounted shots!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Love mali garnets and that is a very pretty stone.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
athenaworth|1310063227|2963963 said:
I am loving my new Mali from Dana. I'd never bought from him before, but he's so damned sweet, and I got a "surprise gift" of two spinels with my purchase. Too generous.

Anywho - I'm the new lucky owner of this stone: http://www.mastercutgems.com/preview.php?cat=284&id=6140 and something as gorgeous as this stone needs to be worn, so I've already bought this setting to put it in: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170659405161&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I took some pics with my iPhone which seems to pick up the best colors, but it's still far from showing it's beauty. Dana actually got the little rainbows of colors in his pic pretty well (kudos to him), but I'll show you mine too, just for fun.

While a beautiful setting in the link you posted. I am not sure the garnet would be a good choice for that setting unless the prongs are modified in such as to not allow the the stone to twist in the setting. With the sharper corners of that cut the prongs would need to hold the stone at both sides of each corner.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
colormyworld|1310080354|2964204 said:
athenaworth|1310063227|2963963 said:

While a beautiful setting in the link you posted. I am not sure the garnet would be a good choice for that setting unless the prongs are modified in such as to not allow the the stone to twist in the setting. With the sharper corners of that cut the prongs would need to hold the stone at both sides of each corner.
I'll talk to my setter about that. They do amazing custom prong work, so I'll see if they can make sure it's in place perfectly.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty stones! I love green stones of every shade =)

Sorry to threadjack, but did you upgrade the diamonds on your setting? I am interested in one of their settings and I wasn't sure if I should upgrade...

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I didn't upgrade because they said they used VS stones and I figured for stones that small it wouldn't matter. I'll let you know how they look though. I should get it next week.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. I love the color.

T

talamasca

Ooo that's a lovely colour and how nice of him to send a couple of suprises :D

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I got two more pictures of my mali today on my P&S and thought I'd share.

IMG_7263.jpg

IMG_7265.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The dispersion in the first 2 shots looks great.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Got the setting today. Looks like it may be a tight squeeze.

mali4.JPG

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
oo - it looks pretty though! I hope you can make it work :)

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous stone, I love the color! And you are right, Dana is the nicest guy and so easy to work with. I was interested to see the setting, do you feel it lives up to the descriptions? It looks great in your pic. Hope you can make it fit.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope the gem fits good in the setting for you, because that color and tone of your garnet look GREAT in the halo!!! Seems like the setting makes the garnet Brighter! Very Pretty!!! :twirl: :cheeky: :appl: :cheeky:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't like my setting very much, but the beauty of the stone makes me overlook the cheapy setting (for now). Some day I will reset. Oh yes, I will. For now I will just admire its lemony loveliness.

mali7.JPG

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
That's really pretty though.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
herekittykitty|1310768900|2969990 said:
That's really pretty though.
Thank you. It really does deserve a better setting though.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Oooh i likey!! you're in LA, right? who is your setter? my last guy chipped a sapphire, so i've been looking for someone else...

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I take mine to House of Taylor in Beverly Hills. I like them, but they take a week to set, which is ridic.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1310768825|2969988 said:
I don't like my setting very much, but the beauty of the stone makes me overlook the cheapy setting (for now). Some day I will reset. Oh yes, I will. For now I will just admire its lemony loveliness.

That is a lovely color garnet and Dana does superb cutting.The gem is outstanding!!! The setting does display the gem well!
I Understand what you mean about the settings, Im experiencing setting issues myself. Who did the setting?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ZestfullyBling|1310771850|2970038 said:
athenaworth|1310768825|2969988 said:

That is a lovely color garnet and Dana does superb cutting.The gem is outstanding!!! The setting does display the gem well!
I Understand what you mean about the settings, Im experiencing setting issues myself. Who did the setting?
I think I will either use DanielM from now on or actually go to a store and try on settings before I decide to buy. I haven't been happy with either of my ebay settings. GRRRRR I got this one from LeeJewelry.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's why I dislike the setting so much. Apparently you have to be really careful with the pre-fab settings on ebay because they're made to make your stone sit up high. All I know is that I won't be buying anymore settings on ebay and that I'll hopefully find something more suitable for this lovely stone.

IMG_1544.JPG

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
This is one of the reasons I no longer buy the ebay prefab settings, too. I just did not have good luck with them.

I haven't used Daniel M yet, but based on the settings you and others have gotten from him, I agree that he would do better justice to this lovely Mali garnet than the setting it's currently in. Another option I have used sometimes is to send my stones to Michael E and have him set them in a stock setting from Unique or one of the other companies. He does a wonderful job, and is very reasonably priced, too.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just can't get enough of this new stone. It's so damned pretty!

IMG_7316.JPG

IMG_7317.jpg

IMG_7324.jpg

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1310819714|2970312 said:
This is one of the reasons I no longer buy the ebay prefab settings, too. I just did not have good luck with them.

I haven't used Daniel M yet, but based on the settings you and others have gotten from him, I agree that he would do better justice to this lovely Mali garnet than the setting it's currently in. Another option I have used sometimes is to send my stones to Michael E and have him set them in a stock setting from Unique or one of the other companies. He does a wonderful job, and is very reasonably priced, too.

Is Micheal E. an etsy jeweler or does he have a B&M. Does he have a web address?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results