shape
carat
color
clarity

My Kauai Wedding and near disaster!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry in advance for the length of this post,but I still am having a hard time believing everything that happened to us!

Well, it's been a few weeks, three to be exact, but I am officially MARRIED!!! For some background, we opted to go to Kauai to be married and honeymoon, just the two of us. I have a timeshare there, so we didn't need to worry about lodging. We put in our vacation and leave requests and bought our airfare way back in early January. We were to fly out Weds, March 21st and return on Weds the 28th and then have the remainder of the week off of work to get settled.

Tuesday when my then-fiance got to work, no one could seem to find his leave papers. He is in the Army and it appeared that the Army somehow lost his leave papers! His CO was out of town as was his squad leader and no one else would or could help him. The person that was left in charge said that as far as he remembered, my fiance was only supposed to be gone from Friday to Weds and he would only approve him for those days!
29.gif
(I wanted to scream, "No you idiot - it's Weds thru the following Friday!" Well, my fiance got no where with the guy, and since my fiance had not made a copy of the leave papers (his mistake) we decided to go ahead and change his ticket to Friday. When we called the airline, they said there were no more coach seats left due to it being Spring break so we had to pay an additional $625 to upgrade him to first class!!! Okay, so I figure I can deal with that as long as he would be there on Friday. That would give me a couple of days to relax and expore the island on my own.

Weds I flew off to Kauai by myself. When I got to the timeshare, they had NO RECORD of my reservation. Great, I thought! Fortunately, they did have another vacancy, so I was able to stay there.

I talked to my fiance Weds evening, and he told me that he had to go out to the field on Thursday morning to help set up for a 36 hour exercise that was to take place while he was gone. When I called him Thursday evening his phone was off. I started freaking out thinking maybe he had been in an accident or even worse, maybe he got COLD FEET!!! I called him all night long and into the wee hours of the morning. When he didn't answer and the 8:00 am flight time passed, I was beside myself. I was seriously physically ill with worry!

I started calling my fiance's office at 9:00am when they were supposed to open up. The phones just rang and rang- very odd, I thought. I was in a panic so decided to call the Chaplain. I spoke to the Chaplain's assistant crying the whole while, and when I told her my story, she said, "Oh honey, you're new to the Army, aren't you?! The Army has a way of messing up peoples plans." She told me she'd see what she could find out and call me back. It was a long, agaonizing hour before I heard from her again. When she called back she told me she heard my fiance's unit was still out in the field. I asked her to confirm that he was actually with them and she said they were going to go see if they could physically track him down. About an hour later, my fiance called from the Chaplain's phone to tell me he was okay and that he had been stuck out on the field with no phone access!!!
29.gif
Apparently, when they had gone out Thursday morning, they were told surprise, surprise, this is not prep this is the actual 36 hour exercise! He was fit to be tied and said thaat he just knew I would leave him over this (missing both flights and messing up the most important day of our lives). We were only able to talk for a minute and he said he'd call me back as soon as he could.

By the time I heard from my fiance again, it was late afternoon. He had finally obtained signed leave papers, so we called the airline back. Unfortunately they had no tickets availalbe for Saturday so he was not able to fly out until Sunday. Mind you, Saturday was our original wedding date
emcry.gif
The new ticket cost us an additional $175. He finally arrived late Sunday afternoon and I was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief!!!

We were married on Lumaha'i Beach on Monday, March 26th at 5:00 pm. The ceremony was more than I could ever dreamed of. It has rained some off and on all morning, but as our ceremony began, a rainbow appeared overhead and the minister said that was a sign our marriage would be blessed!
emsmile.gif
It was beautiful - a combination Hawaiian/Christian ceremony. When he started saying his vows, I began to cry and tremble. When it was my turn, my voice was cracking and I could barely speak! It was just beautiful - a day I will always remember. So much so that all the struggle of the previous days didn't matter any more. We had a beautiful dinner afterwards at a lovely restaurant overlooking the ocean. The entire day was perfect.

I thought I could finally relax, but no, we had one more obstacle thrown our way! The night before were were to fly back home, the wedding coodinator called to say there had been a problem with the camera they used and she was not sure how many of our wedding photos they would be able to salvage. She asked if we could come back out the following day to do more pics. So, since we were flying out that morning, we got up at 5:00 am, put our wedding clothes back on and went and took sunrise photos on the beach!!!

So, what was supposed to b a stress-free wedding and honeymoon turned into anything but, lol! We can look back and laugh now, but I tell you, I thought I was going to lose it!!! Fortunately our wedding coodinator was very flexible and willing to work around our schedule. I'm just thankful everything worked out in the end
30.gif

We are settling nicely into married life now, and I love being married!
30.gif

therighttime

Shiny_Rock
Oh my Goodness! I can''t imagine the stress and worry you were going through!!!!
23.gif
I''m so glad things worked out for you though! The pictures are beautiful and it sounds like you are able to look back on the stress and only remember the great part...that you are married! Congratulations!!!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
OMG... I would so have freaked out, your hubby must be pissed off with his unit! Thanks goodness you didn''t have guests and the whole she-bang...
6.gif

Your ceremony sounds beautiful, my very best wishes to both of you!
36.gif

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS!!! You''re married :) Yay!!!!!

That time before actually getting married just had to be terrible for you
7.gif
But it sounds like you handled it the best way you could and in the end it all worked out........with plenty of great stories to tell lol.

You guys looked fantastic and I love the scenery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry that happened. The EXACT same thing happened to my DH and I. We had to have our wedding here and then have the official ceremony with our friends a month later. It was awful, but at least he was with me the whole time. No wonder you were beside yourself with worry! Congrats on your marriage!

*M*

xapora

Shiny_Rock
Oh my gosh, I was getting nervous just reading that! My fiance is in the Army also, and I know how horrible they can be when it comes to dates and leave and all that. I''m so glad it turned out so well for you guys though, and your pictures are beautiful. Congratulations!
36.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad that you are able to laugh now about the things that happened. Congratulations!!! Beautiful pictures by the way.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 2:32:09 PM
Author: xapora
Oh my gosh, I was getting nervous just reading that! My fiance is in the Army also, and I know how horrible they can be when it comes to dates and leave and all that. I''m so glad it turned out so well for you guys though, and your pictures are beautiful. Congratulations!
36.gif
Take a lesson from us, ALWAYS GET COPIES OF THE LEAVE PAPERS!

Best wishes!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 2:44:52 PM
Author: ImpatientOne
Date: 4/16/2007 2:32:09 PM

Author: xapora

36.gif

Take a lesson from us, ALWAYS GET COPIES OF THE LEAVE PAPERS!

Best wishes!
Definitely! And carry them around with you, lol.

*M*

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My first husband was in the British Army. I have to say I am not surprised with the mess ups you suffered. It must be an army thing ''If we can help you - we won''t!!!''

I am really glad you can look back on it and smile but I bet at the time you were in pieces!

At least you have seen first hand how much the army can ruin things! This way nothing they ever do to you now will surprise you!

Congratulations!!!
9.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 2:56:09 PM
Author: Maisie
My first husband was in the British Army. I have to say I am not surprised with the mess ups you suffered. It must be an army thing 'If we can help you - we won't!!!'

I am really glad you can look back on it and smile but I bet at the time you were in pieces!

At least you have seen first hand how much the army can ruin things! This way nothing they ever do to you now will surprise you!

Congratulations!!!
9.gif
Don't be fooled into thinking it's just the Army. It's the entire military. Two of DH's family members have died while he was on deployment (he's in the Navy), we called the red cross... they didn't even TELL him. They didn't contact him or anything. He was only able to find out through an email I wrote, which is just wrong. After all the things they've done to us in the past two years (messing up our wedding, messing up his medical discharge, etc.) that was the worst. Just wrong! I will be breathing a huge sigh of relief once he's out!!

*M*
ETA: Sorry to threadjack for a sec. I just get riled up about it.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your marriage first of all!!! But my gosh you poor thing that was almost too much to handle to get there!!! I would have been freaking out moreso than you did - I am so glad that everything worked out!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say I much prefer being married to a civilian! I just wasn''t cut out for the army way of life!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your pictures are gorgeous! Kauai is my favorite island; I go in 1 mo and 1/2. You guys look so happy and you are a very cute couple. Sorry for all the stress; I would wig out too!
Congrats !!!!!

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry to hear of all your stress on your wedding. I am so glad that you were able to finally get married and your picture are beautiful. I hope that your photographer got you some awesome shots for making you get up at 5:30 am....and on your honeymoon - come on people - give them a break!!!!
But yay - you are married now - and I wish you wedded bliss and happiness!!!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
I am logged in at work (Shhh...) so may be missing something,
but WHERE ARE THE PICTURES???!!!!

sorry if I''m being stupid and missing the obvious,
long day-

congratulations by the way
36.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 6:24:43 PM
Author: labbielove
I am logged in at work (Shhh...) so may be missing something,
but WHERE ARE THE PICTURES???!!!!

sorry if I''m being stupid and missing the obvious,
long day-

congratulations by the way
36.gif

Ok, me too. Am I missing the pictures?

Besides that, your story about the ceremony and all that came before and after almost made me cry! The ceremony sounds so special, and I am so happy for you! You really do sound like you handled all the mess so well. Congratulations!!!
And where are those pics??

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I think they made her take the link off. It was some type of photo album link. Hopefully she''ll post them in the thread soon. They''re cute!

*M*

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh I would have flipped out multiple times! What a way to get married, but what counts in the end is that you DID and from here it should be smooth sailing! You are a trooper!

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, they removed the link to the pics, so I will try attaching some! Our professional pics will be here any day - I can't wait to see them!

bdwedding.JPG

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
you look beautiful and i love the pics. congratulations.
emcocktl.gif
sorry you had all that drama, but it was worth it in the end.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear your wedding was so stressful, but it does look like the two of you had a beautiful wedding despite the mess! Both of you look glowing and very happy, Congratulations!!!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
You are a great couple,
your dress was just beautiful-
thanks for re-posting the pics
and congrats again
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results