shape
carat
color
clarity

My Jeweler's Stash (and my crush on a red spinel)

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I went to meet with my jeweler today in his private studio to plan something for the AVC diamond that I got with my PS Holiday Raffle win, and he showed me a whole bunch of stones! He has an incredible selection! But two, in particular, stuck out for me. The first is a greenish aqua aquamarine that he bought from a seller who had taken it out of an antique platinum ring.

image_528.jpg

The other, oh my goodness, is a GIA certified unheated red spinel from Myanmar that I am dreaming and scheming about!

image_529.jpg

image_530.jpg

It is so vibrant and alive! I think I am going to start planting seeds with my husband and see if we can work something out with the jeweler. It's not precisely cut (native cut, I think - brilliant on the crown and step cut on the bottom), but it's deep and saturated, and I think I might be in love. Oh my goodness.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's beautiful. That's probably pretty close to my dream stone.

Stunning. I hope you can get it!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see why you are in love. Gorgeous!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a crush, too! :love: Keep us posted! :D

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hubba, hubba! I'm getting this visceral tug with words like covet, want and desire for that spinel! Now that is RED!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both stones are gorgeous, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! The red spinel has a fiery glow to it.

S

SparkliesLuver

:lickout: :love: That red spinel is beyond words! I really, really, really hope you're able to find a way to make it yours! :pray:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, everyone! My jeweler wasn't planning to sell the spinel and hasn't priced it yet, but he is open to the possibility and is figuring out a price for me. He bought it in 2010. I am really hoping we can make this happen!!!

My husband got home late last night from a business trip and he's sleeping now. Maybe I'll make him an extra special breakfast. With strawberries, haha. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous gems Tourmaline. Yes I think an extra special breakfast for your dh this morning is a good idea. :naughty:
Good luck!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yum Yum! I presume the spinel is going to be $$$ so I would make sure to have it sent off to a good lab to make sure it has been treated or is one of those fantastically gorgeous yet realistic synthetics.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1458648959|4009293 said:
Yum Yum! I presume the spinel is going to be $$$ so I would make sure to have it sent off to a good lab to make sure it has been treated or is one of those fantastically gorgeous yet realistic synthetics.

It has a GIA certificate that says it is a natural spinel with no indications of heating. I've known this jeweler (he sets my stones) for many years. He is the bench at a prominent local jewelry store, but he also has an unadvertised private studio.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: :love: :love: Thats some spinel! It looks huge! deets??

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh MY :love: What a gorgeous red spinel. Best of luck on your scheming plan. If for some reason it doesn't work out, I would love to call dibs for it and get your jewelers's contact info please.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Looks yummy red and big! I hope you can come to a deal. Mine is almost as pretty in afternoon light. Makes staying late at work nearly worth it to see it so red and shiny! :love:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Arcadian|1458657587|4009378 said:

It was sold to my jeweler as being from Myanmar. He bought it at a major jewelry industry show.

GIA certified in 2010. From cert:

Weight: 7.62 CT
Measurements: 12.16 X 10.02 X 7.38mm
Shape: Oval
Cutting Style: Crown - Brilliant Cut
Cutting Stlye: Pavilion - Step Cut
Transparency: Transparent
Color: Red
Species: Natural Spinel
Treatments: No indications of heating.

My husband responded positively(!),which is pretty surprising. I thought my 10 year diamond might be the last expensive jewelry purchase of my life, haha. Now it's down to price. My jeweler is fair and I trust him not to gouge us, but this is quite a stone. He told me he got it for a good price before I showed interest in it, haha. We'll see. I'm trying hard not to get carried away.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1458665425|4009433 said:
Arcadian|1458657587|4009378 said:

It was sold to my jeweler as being from Myanmar. He bought it at a major jewelry industry show.

GIA certified in 2010. From cert:

Weight: 7.62 CT
Measurements: 12.16 X 10.02 X 7.38mm
Shape: Oval
Cutting Style: Crown - Brilliant Cut
Cutting Stlye: Pavilion - Step Cut
Transparency: Transparent
Color: Red
Species: Natural Spinel
Treatments: No indications of heating.

My husband responded positively(!),which is pretty surprising. I thought my 10 year diamond might be the last expensive jewelry purchase of my life, haha. Now it's down to price. My jeweler is fair and I trust him not to gouge us, but this is quite a stone. He told me he got it for a good price before I showed interest in it, haha. We'll see. I'm trying hard not to get carried away.

WHOA!! over 7cts??? :shock: put a stick on the other end and its a lollipop :lol: :lickout: I think as long as you trust your source and get it at a good price, game on (I'm with your husband!!) If you have the budget for it why not, you know? Thats certainly heirloom size.

Or, in lieu of that, maybe about 52 of us could all chip in and share it for a week every year :appl: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both stones are amazing! I hope you can find a way to make that gorgeous spinel yours! :love: I have a soft spot in my heart for that aqua though--I love the color! Do you know the stats on it?? Looks HUGE!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lovedogs|1458666371|4009437 said:
Both stones are amazing! I hope you can find a way to make that gorgeous spinel yours! :love: I have a soft spot in my heart for that aqua though--I love the color! Do you know the stats on it?? Looks HUGE!

I like the aqua, too. It does have a big window, but it's lovely anyway. He didn't have the stats handy, and I didn't ask him to weigh it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he bought the spinel at a good price and is willing to be fair to you in selling, you cannot lose! Opportunities like that are extremely rare - the color, the size, the untreated nature, the origin, and above all, knowing you are getting it from a source you know and trust. I say game on! Please make it work!!!

ETA: editing to add that for what its worth, it does look more like a flame spinel than one on the purplish side of life...

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!!! that spinel is gorgeous!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We're doing it!!! :love: :dance:

It is more than we were expecting to spend on jewelry this year, but it pretty much fell in my lap, and it is actually less costly than I thought it would be. He has an 18k yellow gold 12x10 Stuller setting with diamond pave details that he is going to size for me and then set the spinel into, so I will be able to wear it by the end of this week!! Happy dance!!!! :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1458678281|4009529 said:

It is more than we were expecting to spend on jewelry this year, but it pretty much fell in my lap, and it is actually less costly than I thought it would be. He has an 18k yellow gold 12x10 Stuller setting with diamond pave details that he is going to size for me and then set the spinel into, so I will be able to wear it by the end of this week!! Happy dance!!!! :love:

Jeeezzzz. So awesome

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
wow, 7ct? And he is willing to pass on the good deal? That is once in a life time opportunity!
Get it so I can call dibs :bigsmile: :lol:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OTL|1458678818|4009534 said:
wow, 7ct? And he is willing to pass on the good deal? That is once in a life time opportunity!
Get it so I can call dibs :bigsmile: :lol:

Yes, he is, and yes it is!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you get the spinel it's a real investment piece!!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
arkieb1|1458684454|4009558 said:
I hope you get the spinel it's a real investment piece!!!

It's happening!! :) :) :)

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrat's on your successful treasure hunt!! I'm anxious to see the ring now!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1458678281|4009529 said:

wowzers! That's incredibly exciting and an opportunity that's unlikely to come around again, so I'm thrilled you jumped on it! I'm so happy for you! Can't wait to see pics! :appl: :appl: :appl:

....not to thread jack, but is there any way your jeweler would consider selling the aqua?? I've been thinking about it and it's just beautiful!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Picked my jaw up from the floor, 7 cts of fiery ember gorgeousness and it's going to be yours? Congratulations Tourmaline. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results