shape
carat
color
clarity

My Intergem purchases.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
So I went to intergem yesterday and picked up a few things and refrained from buying one expensive piece (even though I really, really wanted it.)

First up, a split shank setting that I bought from an antique dealer. The setting itself isn't an antique, just used. It needs to be sized up about a half size. It's made of 14k white gold and the diamonds are white and sparkly.

I have a few contenders for the setting. First a Tanga garnet. At the gem show it was showing pink and orange and yellow. I've never seen it look like that.

kiz-sssetting1.jpg

kiz-sssetting2.jpg

kiz-ssgarnet1.jpg

kiz-ssgarnet2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very very nice setting and the Tanga garnet looks like a good fit.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Next up, a tourmaline. My pics make it look fairly yellow-green but it's actually more blue-green.

I then found a setting that I thought would be perfect for my blue sapphire. Now that I have it home though, I think my sapphire might be a bit small for it. It is also 14k white gold.

kiz-sstourmaline2.jpg

kiz-sstourmaline3.jpg

kiz-dbsetting1.jpg

kiz-dbsetting2.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
This will need to be sized up as well. You can see a bit of the basket underneath the stone which is why I was thinking the stone might be a bit small for the setting. Otherwise, I really like the sapphire in this setting.

I also tried my mahenge spinel in there but since it's smaller than might sapphire I think it's definitely too small for the setting.

kiz-dbsetting3.jpg

kiz-dbsapphire1.jpg

kiz-dbsapphire2.jpg

kiz-dbspinel1.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I also bought a small round ruby. I couldn't pass up it's glow-y color.

The expensive piece I passed up was at Prima gems. It was tsavorite beads and the pendant piece were two moonstones surrounded by tsavorites & diamonds, not a halo though, more like compass points.

kiz-kkruby1.jpg

kiz-kkruby2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've been busy! So many lovely stones. In seeing the tourmaline, I think it looks perfect for the split shank setting. Is there no way to modify the other setting to fit the smaller sapphire? I like the look of it in that setting. And the ruby? Delicious!

Quennoo

Rough_Rock
Wow I love the setting with the tourmaline! Gorgeous!

Sakag

Rough_Rock
Agreed, the tourm looks fabulous in that setting!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, the blue green tourm will look great in the split shank! Ruby is stunning. Love. It. You did very well and seems like your focus really paid off at the show! Would you mind sharing the name of the antique seller in case they come out to the West Coast at all? I am generally so intimidated by estate vendors that I don't even know where to approach them...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tourmaline!

Do you have any other ovals that could work in there?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Great buys! I can imagine how excited you felt when you left with all those goodies. I'd be on cloud 9. Love the tourm & the setting for it! The Tanga looks nice too, but the tourmaline knocks it out of the park. Great ruby color!

--- Laurie

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
The split shank setting is actually 18k gold. I don't why I was thinking that 750 meant 14k. Blame it on old age.

Chrono|1367698170|3440389 said:
You've been busy! So many lovely stones. In seeing the tourmaline, I think it looks perfect for the split shank setting. Is there no way to modify the other setting to fit the smaller sapphire? I like the look of it in that setting. And the ruby? Delicious!

I haven't brought it to my jeweler yet to see what he says. Perhaps something can be done or maybe there isn't a problem at all. Perhaps it only looks too big because the prongs are spread enough so the stone sits right down in the setting rather than up a bit.

minousbijoux said:
Yup, the blue green tourm will look great in the split shank! Ruby is stunning. Love. It. You did very well and seems like your focus really paid off at the show! Would you mind sharing the name of the antique seller in case they come out to the West Coast at all? I am generally so intimidated by estate vendors that I don't even know where to approach them...

I bought it from AG Klaus (or I think they go by Klaus Enterprise now). They're based out of Florida so I'm not sure how far west they travel. He generally has a number of used settings though and his prices are pretty reasonable (that split shank setting was $600). The other antique dealers at the show don't generally have empty settings or at least not that I saw.

FrekeChild said:
Tourmaline!

Do you have any other ovals that could work in there?

My other ovals are either a) same size or a bit smaller; b) a whole lot larger; or c) part of a pair. I did take a picture yesterday of one of my rubellite cabs in the setting but I'd really rather not break up the pair. The rubellite is 8x6 and the sapphire is 7.10x6.14

JewelFreak said:
Great buys! I can imagine how excited you felt when you left with all those goodies. I'd be on cloud 9. Love the tourm & the setting for it! The Tanga looks nice too, but the tourmaline knocks it out of the park. Great ruby color!

--- Laurie

It's always great to find settings I like for my stones since I generally dither so much about what to do with them that nothing ever gets set.

Thanks Sakag & Quennoo! My only hesitation about the tourmaline is that I already have green stones set in white gold but I don't have any pink stones set in white gold. *dithers*

kiz-dbrubellite.jpg

alice87

Shiny_Rock
I like a picture with garnet the best. Great choice for both, settings, and stones! Hope you will have it done, and enlighten us with end results! (just a little motivational speech here) :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the garnet is my favorite in that split shank setting. All together great combo! I feel like tourmaline would be prettiest in a warmer metal.

everything looks lovely!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
also, if you dont mind me asking, what size is your finger?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome finds, Kismet!! I love that split shank setting you found --- its a beauty! Tough choice as to which looks better in there - they both look wonderful and by your signature - you are pretty evenly split on red and green rings.... But I''m in the Tourmaline camp - it just looks as tho it glows in there!! I'm loving how it looks so icy and serene!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I love the tourmaline in the split shank!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a deal on the split shank setting. It's really good quality for the price. :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kismet: thanks for the info on the vendor. I'll look for them, but the name doesn't sound familiar, so I'm not sure they come out this far West.

Anyway, once again, you have done it with beautiful bling. I think I've said this before (getting older, memory going), but I get excited every time I see a thread of yours - I know its gonna be chalk full of stuff I love!

Whatever you decide, you will come back with a photo show for us, won't you? :saint: :praise:

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
alice87|1367757235|3440642 said:
I like a picture with garnet the best. Great choice for both, settings, and stones! Hope you will have it done, and enlighten us with end results! (just a little motivational speech here) :wavey:

I'll definitely be back with pics when I have decided.

Niel said:
also, if you dont mind me asking, what size is your finger?

My right hand ring finger is 7.25 and my left is 7. All the pics were taken with the rings on my pinkie. No idea what size that is though.

Enerchi said:
Awesome finds, Kismet!! I love that split shank setting you found --- its a beauty! Tough choice as to which looks better in there - they both look wonderful and by your signature - you are pretty evenly split on red and green rings.... But I''m in the Tourmaline camp - it just looks as tho it glows in there!! I'm loving how it looks so icy and serene!

I'm glad I went on the first day and was able to snap it up. I don't think it would have lasted. That picture is out of date. I probably have more red rings than green actually.

Laila619 said:
Beautiful! I love the tourmaline in the split shank!
Thanks! I think I might be leaning more towards the tourmaline myself.

Chrono said:
What a deal on the split shank setting. It's really good quality for the price. :appl:

I thought it was a pretty decent deal too. He must make most of his profit on the stones he removes and anything on the settings is gravy.

minousbijoux said:
Kismet: thanks for the info on the vendor. I'll look for them, but the name doesn't sound familiar, so I'm not sure they come out this far West.

Anyway, once again, you have done it with beautiful bling. I think I've said this before (getting older, memory going), but I get excited every time I see a thread of yours - I know its gonna be chalk full of stuff I love!

Whatever you decide, you will come back with a photo show for us, won't you? :saint: :praise:

*blush* thank you very much. That's very kind of you to say so. I'll definitely be back with pictures when I decide on what to set.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
yum! My faves are the Tanga and the tourmaline.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Whew, well I finally got everything set and received the other purchase that I didn't mention earlier.

I think my jeweler did a good job of fixing the basket so it isn't bigger than the stone. I took these over the weekend during a break in the rain but it was still pretty dreary.

kiz-saphring2.jpg

kiz-saphring3.jpg

kiz-saphring4.jpg

kiz-saphring5.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I went with the tourmaline for the split shank settings. It looks a whole lot bigger now that it's set.

kiz-tourmring1.jpg

kiz-tourmring2.jpg

kiz-tourmring3.jpg

kiz-tourmring4.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I also purchased an alexandrite flower ring. The stones are all pretty well matched and have a distinct color change (which I haven't yet been able to capture) from teal green to a reddish purple.

kiz-3rings2.jpg

kiz-3rings3.jpg

kiz-3rings4.jpg

kiz-3rings5.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My, my, you busy girl! Love them all, but I'm so happy you got that flower alex ring! Even if you can't show us, are you enjoying the color change the alexs perform for you?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Finally figured out how to keep the flash from going off all the time and I got a few okay pics of the alex indoors. I think the black in the stones is camera reflection as they're a pretty purple in person.

kiz-alexindoors1.jpg

kiz-alexindoors2.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooo Iove all three rings. They are all gorgeous! :appl:

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Love all three rings!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, great that your bench not only made it fit, but all your rings look fabulous. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results