shape
carat
color
clarity

My Improved Setting (yea!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I got my engagement ring about 2 months ago and I was back at the jeweler having my daughter''s graduation gift engraved. I asked if they could do anything to lower the setting of my diamond and here''s how it turned out.

dbgaap1.jpg

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Another view:

dbgaap2.jpg

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a pic of the original ring, before getting it fixed

dbgaap3.JPG

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
side view of the before ring:

dbgaap4.JPG

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Oh dear! Woops & sorry about the HUGE picture!
Anyway, here is the story -
A couple months ago, I selected a ring I liked and, at the time I thought it was the Vatche X-prong.
They said, 'this is sized to accept a 1.5 carat stone and we'll order you one to fit your 1 carat stone'. Ok, I thought.
When I received it, the proportions were just really differnt. The stone now sat higher and it looked more like a cross between the Vatche X-rpong and the Royal Crown.
It was a pretty ring and the diamond is gorgeous so I just figured I'd live with it for a while and see if it grows on me.

More recently, I asked them if they could just lower the stone and they said, 'no, not really'. After some discussion, they recommended ordering another setting (the orig. had been sold) and putting the 1 carat stone into the mounting I liked, even if it wasn't what the maufacturer intended.
At that point, I figured I could just get a VAtche X-prong, but I really liked the fact that I won't need a curved wedding band like the Vatche X-prong seems to require. So I figured I'd give it a try.

The whole thing seemed a little weird, really - it made me a little nervous to deliberately put in a stone that isn't supposed to fit.
I just got the ring today. I definitely prefer the lower setting. And I definitely like the side view much better. I guess I am just a fan of the Vatche X-prong. The prongs seem a little fat, but I think that's OK, too.
Yup, I think I like it.
appl.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Good for you. It looks lovely. Enjoy

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you got it changed to your liking. Nothing like having it done the way you want it! It looks very nice in the lowered setting.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I really like the new setting. It looks great! I just dropped off my wedding ring yesterday to have a new, lower head put on it. Sometimes those little things can really drive you crazy. I'm glad you got it changed so it's more to your liking.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Patty, are you changing the head on your three-stone ring in the avatar?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
No, seven's...I'm changing the head on my wedding ring.

My avatar is my anniversary ring that I got for our 25th anniversary this year.

It's perfect just the way it is!

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
You must live right, dbgaap! Yup, it looks spectacular. What an easy fix - I'm jealous! None of my do-overs are ever that easy.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a difference! The high setting would have driven me up the wall, at least. I think it looks much more streamlined and elegant in the top setting. Congrats on getting what you wanted in the first place
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Your improved ring looks terrific, congrats!
appl.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
What a great improvement! Your ring looks lovely!

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
GORGEOUS. I have an xprong ring too and it sits up way to high. I have ALWAYS wanted it lower but I didn't think it could be done. Mine is platinum and I hate to spend money so I thought I'd live with it. Mine also is a bit crooked because I went from 6.3mm to 7mm, then I had the 7mm recut to Eightstar and it's now 6.7mm. The prongs are crappy now from so much switching. I'm going to the jewelers very soon to have a talk about it!! Thanks so much for posting these pictures!!! Enjoy your new ring.

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
I just looked at your pics again and in my opinion it looks 100% better now!!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!
This illustrates the pros & cons of working with the particular jeweler I chose. They have a 100 day "You Must Be Satisfied" guarantee and they swapped out the ring at no charge. They also did it cheerfully & very quickly.

On the other hand, this store is huge and I really felt like I had to figure everything out on my own. They have salespeople and a separate customer service staff. This required multiple trips to the store (which was OK as I had some other purchases to make)
-To ask if they can lower setting
-To look around at other settings & ask advice
-To order the setting I want
-To come in to look at & make final decision on setting upon arrival
-Pick up the final product

I talked to yet a different customer service person and I had to keep explaining my story over and over. On the day the new setting arrived, the customer service supervisor looked at it and said, "it won't work" and I had to point out that I had been told just the opposite only a two weeks prior.

From what I've read here, I would have just worked with Whiteflash and gotten the Vatche x-prong and it would have been easier.
But, all's well that ends well.
Also, I've already gotten the wedding band and there was a slight worry that it wouldn't look as nice with this new wider e-ring.
But it's lovely, so all is well.
Thanks for the feedback.
The prongs are chubby, but they look good with the chunky band.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results