shape
carat
color
clarity

My hunt for a big OEC is taking us to the US!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hippi pixe, you are describing a DREAM TRIP to the US!!!!

I am going to be reading EVERY COLUMN INCH of your adventures! :geek:
Hubbie and I talk about going to Las Vegas to renew our vows one day, probly at 15 or 20 years.

I think I'll be pinching the rest of your itinery as well lol, you have it ALL going on!

All the best for your shopping trip, I hope your man is a better shopper than mine!
If he starts to fade, you'll just have to leave him in the hotel room or sight seeing on his own.... the perfect diamond comes first lol.

You have the moral support of literally thousands of Pricescopers.... you are bound to come back with something wonderful. :D

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
What a fantastic project... omg!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1357627148|3350091 said:
hippi_pixi|1357554885|3349305 said:
3.20 L Si1 OEC. 9.28 x 9.24 x 5.85 $26 780
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9503/

all comments welcomed!

HANDS DOWN. As soon as I was reading this thread, I thought of this stone. I think of this stone often, and think of it almost like my "One That Got Away". I was too focused on mm spread, and maximizing my SO's budget. I really wish I bought this one. And it's a true L, so if you're searching for up to J, and looking at the usual EGL certs that inflate the color grading, the L is a good option.

You watched the video, right? It's fireworks. It's like getting an AVR without paying for the AVR premium. Buy it! Please :)) So I can stop looking at it and wondering if anyone will adopt it..

Ditto on this 3.2 L on GOG. Look at that Megascope and video...great performer! (also it is an high L color)

Also what about this one?

GIA 2.77 J with med. blue fl. yummy!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360327385876?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Are you considering transitionals?

http://www.abrandtandson.com/Late_Art_Deco_Platinum_Diamond_Engagement_Ring_3.38ct.html

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
Jon from GOG says the 3.2 has sold otherwise it was my favourite and the one i was probably most likely to buy. the 2.77 i have seen a few times. it looks it has great symmetry and as a GIA J its likely to face up whiter than some of my other options. love the fluor. i will find out if i can see this stone in person while I am in LA so i can find out if it performs well.

I do like transitionals as I am drawn to the symmetry of them but that one looks too modern for my tastes. it doesn't make my heart beat faster like other old cuts do!

Thanks Ninama, Laraonline and Vinjewels it will be a very exciting trip! i will have learnt everything i can seeing old stones in Aus and online but will be on a very steep learning curve from the moment i arrive! i will have a week to see everything, a weekend to make a decision and then a week to organise payment and a temp setting.

My partner does get 'shopping face' he can't help it no matter how good his intentions so i will have to try not to let grumpy 'shopping face' affect me and my decision!

justginger i was going to use oxforex but i'm not sure i could handle the stress of waiting for online transfers just because i would be devastated to go home empty handed if it didn't work in time. I think i can pay instantly via visa debit or via cash passport and still get a 'cash' price. just need to compare their fees and exchange rates. it is somewhere on my mile long to do list :)

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
i was having a look at whether 'the diamond guy' on ebay has anything else i could look at at the same time

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-Antique-Diamond-Ring-/360307386760?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item53e3fe6988 he has this ring but it seems quite lifeless face up? am i right in saying this stone doesn't look like it would be very lively and active in real life? also it seems too tinted side on. worth a look yay or nay?

he also has this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/18K-White-Gold-Ring-center-Natural-Round-Diamond-with-Yellow-Sapphire-/360391179762?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item53e8fcfdf2 this one the setting is soooo not my taste which im finding distracting but again worth a look or not?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
With spending the amount that you are on an OEC, (or any amount on any purchase), if it doesn't grab you first up, dont even contemplate. it just adds to the problem- too many variables.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Gregchang is right. If you are feeling rushed, that is a sign to slow...down...
At the end of day it's no real biggie if the diamond has to be sent on to you at home, after it is set (is it?)
I hope I'm not upsetting you saying that, obviously I don't know all of your circumstances, and you must be ITCHING to get your diamond on your finger!!

Better though to make the right choice in the longer term...and I think a big part of making that right choice in is choosing your vendor.
I know that finding the 'right' stone seems even harder when it comes to an OEC, but I would be prepared to try and build a relationship with vendors that 'feel right'. The experience might be more enjoyable that way.

Must...enjoy...diamond...shopping lol

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Hippi, I am sure you are aware, but just wanted to point out that "the diamond guy" does not accept returns - only exchanges. That is why I did not go after the 2.77 SI1-J GIA.

Also, not sure where you are visiting in the US, but there is another ebay vendor - Peter Suchy or something like that. He has a lot of old cuts, but not the best photography skills. He may be worth looking into.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing trip! I'm fairly certain armywifes big bezeled OEC is on comsignent with JBEG now though if you are interested-unless it's sold or she changed her mind.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
vintagelover229 said:
What an amazing trip! I'm fairly certain armywifes big bezeled OEC is on comsignent with JBEG now though if you are interested-unless it's sold or she changed her mind.

Whaaaaaat?? Wow, I really have missed alot. That is a beauty.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should check out SN Queen and Single Stone while you're in LA. They have some amazing vintage pieces.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1358308301|3356559 said:
You should check out SN Queen and Single Stone while you're in LA. They have some amazing vintage pieces.

;)) yes! even for just an "educational" :lol:

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
I am very much looking forward to visiting Ari at singlestone and excited to meet grace AND armywifes OEC in person while in LA :razz:

also i didn't think we would make it to H Moradi Jewellers but my lovely other half has agreed to squeeze it in! so the one day we have a hire car we will drive LA to vegas with a rather big detour to San Diego. luckily we have a bit of experience with long drives in Australia but will have to remind ourselves to stay on the right side of the road ;-)

It's getting very exciting! I catch myself sometimes just gazing down at my bare ring finger imagining what lovely bling I might have on there very soon!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
love it, love it, love it.

getting excited just reading your posts!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unbelievable! Who has a SO that is willing to fly partway round the world and take two weeks off just to look for diamonds?!!! Love this man! Also, who knew I'd learn so much about international trade reading this thread?!! :naughty: :naughty:

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux he is great and spoils me by letting me get my way too often! but my partner has always wanted to got to the US and it worked out cheaper than we were expecting. i have had to promise 3 nights in vegas, a tour of universal studios and visiting all the big stadiums. and i assume we will see a few games of something or other as he is a sports fanatic!

i can't believe its just over 2 weeks until we leave! i feel so unprepared!

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I can't wait to see your new OEC/ring, and some pictures from your fabulous adventure! How exciting on all fronts!!

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
Arrived in LA today! at 5am this morning after being awake for... 24(?) hours and was faced with a full day today. would have loved to go straight to bed but sucked it up, showered and headed straight to singlestone. still felt like shit when we went up to have a look. but by some miracle i felt much better as soon as we started looking at some lovely big diamonds! coincidence? i think not! Ari and Heather were lovely and so were the stones they showed us

I had planned to take photos of everything i saw and posting them on here for you guys to help me make a decision but I hesitate to put them up because i don't think they do the stone justice. we looked at a few stones but i was able to narrow them down to just one which is great. if I'm visiting a few vendors i think i need to narrow down to the best stone from each vendor. We eliminated one stone for being a bit dark and lazy, another that was too far out of round for me. a close contendor was high color stone, very white and very active but SI2. the SI2 in itself didn't bother me and i didn't see the inclusion straight away but once Id seen it it was pretty obvious. even the inclusion itself didn't bother me but once i see it i can't not see it and as Ari pointed out if I'm not sure now it will probably bother me later on.

I've got an olloclip marco lens for my iphone to take macro photos. turns out i barely need it for a diamond this size. but the camera blocks out the light and makes the stone look dark especially under the table. i did get a decent video of the stone but i don't think we can post links to video?

the winning stone was uncerted, approx EGL:KVS2, GIA:L/M VS2-SI. Size and price i won't post to avoid lurkers. the stone was bright an active and had a great amount of colored light return. it looked evenly bright under the table and surrounds. its big just over 9mm and slightly over budget but still within our means. the only downside i could see with this diamond is the color side on. face up it faces up white. not icy white and appears slightly tinted next to lighter stones but on its own i wouldn't say it is anything but white. side on though it does become much more tinted. in its long term setting this probably wont be visible but short term it will be in a simple solitaire setting so it will be visible and i know my future MIL will look and comment.

Ari said he could get an EGL cert done if we buy. i think he said not a full certification but a quick one, i forget what he said exactly. it would have to be a 1 day turn around certification. also he can put it in a quick and simple white gold solitaire setting so i can wear it straight away. i quite liked to look of unplated white gold

Also got to look at some lovely settings for a future reset! great quality work and stunning for antique style settings. definitely happy to work with singlestone for my future permanent setting

Here is a link to a video of the stone. http://youtu.be/eOTWurgjxQ0... with the pictures bear in mind that when i look at the stone directly the facets reflecting the black of my camera were actually reflecting light. and i got more colored light return than either the pictures or video showed. at 1 angle it in the video it does go dark under the table, this might be just when the stone points directly at my phone/camera im not sure

ss324a.jpg

ss324b.jpg

ss324c.jpg

ss324d.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
That is a beautiful stone!!!! :appl: :appl:
I am impartial to OEC!!!!!

So, you have a few stores to visit as well as the east coast!!!
OMG- sooo excited reading your update!!!! you just got me at my desk!!!!
It is amazing what BLING can do when you are tired!!! LOL

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
greg thats exactly how i felt when i walked in! beforehand i felt pretty ill and just wanted to curl up and go to sleep but as soon as i had some beautiful OEC's in front of me i felt fantastic! almost feverish with excitement :razz:

yes i've contacted and am visiting JBEG in LA then H Moradi in San Diego and the GOG and OWD in NY. there were others i mentioned but i haven't contacted them.

did you like the stone on he video?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
hippi_pixi|1361000414|3381556 said:
greg thats exactly how i felt when i walked in! beforehand i felt pretty ill and just wanted to curl up and go to sleep but as soon as i had some beautiful OEC's in front of me i felt fantastic! almost feverish with excitement :razz:

yes i've contacted and am visiting JBEG in LA then H Moradi in San Diego and the GOG and OWD in NY. there were others i mentioned but i haven't contacted them.

did you like the stone on he video?

yessum!!!! LOVE... Though for me, the inclusion would bother me. That is just me. i rather be eye clean. It is still an awesome stone!!!! :lickout:

Say hi to Grace for me. I have been talking to her about my OEC project, and antique cushion project. Though things have been rather quiet on that front. My project is 0.5ct. I have something brewing and will post more when i know more... sorry for thread jack!

Enjoy the shops... and LV with finance as well. Post as many photos as you like!!!!!

be careful tomorrow as the JEt lag may kick in... have some red bull and coffee to help you get through it. maybe a sleeping pill tonight?

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
actually the inclusion was a different runner up stone that we ruled out, beautiful and very very white but ultimately i wouldn't want to buy and find out later that the inclusion did bother me. the stone in the video is eyeclean, slightly bigger and lower color. sorry i was a bit unclear in my post before.

just heard from Grace that the 2 stones she was going to show me had sold so we will meet and have a look at other but they might be too dark. you never know if you don't look! i will say hi to Grace from you :)

we did sleep today for 4 hours from 2:30 so im going to try and get to sleep now. fingers crossed we're alright for tomorro as we have a full day at universal studios!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
That stone is beautiful...how are you going to remember all these stones you look at? Yikes!

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
yes :) we got a 3.5 M VVS2 from OWD set in an old setting he had lying around that i adored. and while the ring was being polished my partner proposed at the top of the empire state building with a standin from forever 21 :razz:

I'm just waiting on some good sunshine where i live on the sunshine coast (it hasn't been living up to its name the last few days) to get some good photos and do a show me the bling thread

img_0413.jpg

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!! Come on sun! We want to see it :wink2: I bet its gorgeous...

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
Oops I didn't mean to post that pic. That was the setting in its original mangled form when I loved it and could only see its potential the prongs were very bent out of shape and the shanks quite wonky too. The shank was replaced but I think the prongs were just fixed and the whole thing polished

blingymo

Shiny_Rock
We don't need sun, just pictures! Show us SOMETHING! and add MORE when the sun comes out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results