shape
carat
color
clarity

My heart belongs to this wonky sapphire

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
So beautiful! Interestingly, I have a similar looking stone - but yellow. The color is pooled in a very small area at the culet point and then another layer near the top. I still don’t know how to link posts, but it’s under the title “Definitely not a peridot”

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
So beautiful! Interestingly, I have a similar looking stone - but yellow. The color is pooled in a very small area at the culet point and then another layer near the top. I still don’t know how to link posts, but it’s under the title “Definitely not a peridot”

I was the last person to comment in the thread :)

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I was the last person to comment in the thread :)
Oh my goodness - you were! Sorry I missed it. Your thread has been so much fun to follow and I’m so glad for you that has arrived!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this stone in all of its various shades of colors. It is delightful.

I would not ever, ever touch this stone for any reason. No repolish, no recut. It is a perfect, skilled cut. The cutter is a genius. That is just my opinion of course.

Enjoy this beautiful stone!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s really pretty

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow I adore this, it is even cooler than the original pics let on!!!! Also so happy it’s not suitable for a recut to be honest - it was meant to be just as it is and it’s positively marvelous!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the most loveliest of things!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would hope it's pretty reasonably priced?

I like it (!) and not to be a killjoy, but I have a bit of an aversion to stones that "fool" you into thinking they are blue by virtue of a thin stratum of color at the table or girdle or culet.

I don't think the cutter was a genius; he or she found a way to get some color into otherwise low-value near-colorless material. That's the basis for the whole industry, right? So few blues are truly homogeneously colored, even if they ultimately "face up" as such.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous!!!

No recut, please!!! Or we may need to rally a rescue brigade to come and protect this gem!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I would hope it's pretty reasonably priced?

I like it (!) and not to be a killjoy, but I have a bit of an aversion to stones that "fool" you into thinking they are blue by virtue of a thin stratum of color at the table or girdle or culet.

I don't think the cutter was a genius; he or she found a way to get some color into otherwise low-value near-colorless material. That's the basis for the whole industry, right? So few blues are truly homogeneously colored, even if they ultimately "face up" as such.

I mean, if he finds a way to cut material in an attractive way to get value into a stone that otherwise would have been much cheaper, that is kind of genius, right? It's not like this is low-grade material that has been beryllium-treated; even if the sapphire were completely clear it would still be a pretty good quality white sapphire. I personally do not care that the stone is not blue all the way through - like, why would I? It looks the same face up, and no one will be able to tell once it's set. The stone has brought a lot of joy to my heart so it doesn't really matter on the price though I will say there is no way I overpaid.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
What do people think: should I get a Gem Brief before setting? It might be nice to have the official weight and stamp of approval, especially since including the cost of the report would still be below my maximum bid for the stone (about $100 higher than what I paid).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do people think: should I get a Gem Brief before setting? It might be nice to have the official weight and stamp of approval, especially since including the cost of the report would still be below my maximum bid for the stone (about $100 higher than what I paid).

I wouldn’t bother

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean, if he finds a way to cut material in an attractive way to get value into a stone that otherwise would have been much cheaper, that is kind of genius, right? It's not like this is low-grade material that has been beryllium-treated; even if the sapphire were completely clear it would still be a pretty good quality white sapphire. I personally do not care that the stone is not blue all the way through - like, why would I? It looks the same face up, and no one will be able to tell once it's set.

It's about as genius as pulling apples off the tree but leaving the branches. That's the actual job of the cutter.

Contrary to what you wrote, they do not look at all the same. Maybe looking straight down through the table, it could pass. But rocked even a few degrees off axis, they look "watery" and blah with no color intensity. I mean this one has no color intensity anyway so there's that.

I get that you are sticking up for this little fella and I'm just an ogre here but they are not the same. And if you saw them side by side you have discern the difference.

I guess it's also part of the reason that I'm not a fan of the newer distinctive radiant-type cut for colored diamonds in which the "color" primarily arises because the light path criss-crosses the stone six times. It is not a result of the intrinsic saturation of the material. It's like veneer vs. solid hardwood. They are both pretty. I think of one being more authentic.

Reminds me of the blue Sharpie dot on the diamond culet :) That's just as good, right?

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
It's about as genius as pulling apples off the tree but leaving the branches. That's the actual job of the cutter.

Contrary to what you wrote, they do not look at all the same. Maybe looking straight down through the table, it could pass. But rocked even a few degrees off axis, they look "watery" and blah with no color intensity. I mean this one has no color intensity anyway so there's that.

I get that you are sticking up for this little fella and I'm just an ogre here but they are not the same. And if you saw them side by side you have discern the difference.

I guess it's also part of the reason that I'm not a fan of the newer distinctive radiant-type cut for colored diamonds in which the "color" primarily arises because the light path criss-crosses the stone six times. It is not a result of the intrinsic saturation of the material. It's like veneer vs. solid hardwood. They are both pretty. I think of one being more authentic.

Reminds me of the blue Sharpie dot on the diamond culet :) That's just as good, right?

I am aware that the stone is not the same as one that is uniformly colored all the way through. You, however, apparently think cutting stones involves the same level of training, care, and skill as picking apples, and you also think a naturally occurring blue streak in a sapphire is the same as drawing a streak with a marker. This interaction has been extremely odd and hostile, and yeah, you are acting like a troll, so I'll just enjoy my gem and stop engaging otherwise =)2

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
Lovely sapphire! Unique color and no window. Can understand your pleasure as Ive also a weakness for such sapphires:)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For your own curiosity/entertainment/education (after polishing if that’s the plan)
Yes.
For any other purpose, no.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's a beautiful sapphire!! I think the cut looks really cool and the colour is so gorgeous! I think it's a great find!! You're very lucky!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t gotten gem briefs for any of mine if they didn’t have them. All it does is tell you what you have.

I would get one if I was unsure if what I had was mined or lab created etc.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. Contrary to the assertion, it DOES take very significant skill and experience to intentionally place color zoning in the right location in the faceting to result in maximum amplification through the stone. Keep in mind this gem cutter was almost certainly located in the developing world, working with very basic tools not much advanced from the 19th century with the exception that the cutting wheel is run with electricity. They don't have computer equipment to scan the stone or plan the cut. Our cutter here was peering into the rough, probably through a small polished window, and had to visualize every aspect of the finished cut in his/her head.

I personally find this stone very beautiful and charming. The gem brief is not going to increase its value, but it may be worth it to you from a curiosity and learning perspective.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I went back and looked at the blown up photos, and I think the stone is displaying a kozibe effect with the final facets at the point of the stone. That's where the color zone is located too, right? If so I think that's why the stone has such a lovely color, it's reflecting evenly throughout the stone with kozibe. The small table is also an asset here, allowing more of the colored kozibe to be seen.

1610899983545.png

1610900053231.png

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I hope you're still over the moon with this sapphire. As CSpan said, perfectly imperfect. And I've been thinking about this for three days, how we forgive flaws in sapphires that would make us toss a diamond to the curb. Why? How are they so charming and magical with so much goin' on? I have a cheap green parti color that's olive green with yellow and the gold light in it keeps moving and shifting and it enchants me. I hope your amazing stone brings you years of joy and amazement. It's fabulous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results