shape
carat
color
clarity

My heart belongs to this wonky sapphire

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
He's on his way! Over 3cts of chubby blue boi, approximate dimensions 7.5x7x6.5. Am I crazy or am I seeing kozibe in this cut? Can any experts here tell by the cut if this is an old stone or a modern native cut? Can't wait to have this guy in hand! Once I see him in person, I'll have a better sense if he's a good candidate for a recut. Even if he would clean up nicely, I wouldn't want him to lose his personality. :))

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have no real expertise to offer - but my knee jerk reaction is that it looks antique to me with some minor wear and tear.

Oh and I think it is awesome and adorable. Where did snag this chubby cutie from? I personally think the cut is charming and I am usually anti-recut but that's just me.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a certain old charm and love it. I recommend sprucing it up with a repolish, not a recut.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When do you expect to receive it?
I hope you plan on posting many more pictures.
I think it’s very lovely and and can see why you are smitten.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
This was an ebay find. It should be here Friday, but I know there have been some crazy delays with USPS! I suspect the color is going to be much more gray in hand, but it's so quirky and unusual that I don't really care. Obviously this stone is far from perfect, but in this case, the imperfections lead me to believe that this is a natural, unheated sapphire. The seller stated it is likely from Sri Lanka, but I don't think it's going to be worth it to find out. I will definitely post many more pictures when it arrives!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I love wonky sapphires and their unique personalities! Yours looks spunky and chubby. I’m loving all the facets.
I see what you mean about kozibe, but it’s hard to tell. I’ve never heard of it in a colored stone. Someone with more experience will know better. The color is an interesting mix of violet and grape.
It will be fun once you have it in hand to get more of a color read and learn about how it behaves in different environments.
That should help guide how you decide to set it. Can’t wait to see what you think and how it all develops!
Also would definitely hesitate on a recut.
I’d worry about losing color intensity and the already interesting character of the stone. Good luck!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somebody here has a blue sapphire with what I thought was kozibe...

here it is. It’s keroppi_bud’s beauty
6AA4EAC3-C8EB-40AB-AD7A-7F800E24E940.jpeg

Last edited:

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I can see why it touched your heart, I LOVE it! Yes I see kozibe too and colored stones can definitely display kozibe when the angles line up, as it's the reflection of the culet facet. I have an OEC zircon that displays crazy kozibe, and an old mine tourmaline that shows a few culet reflections at the right angle. I am pro-recut but I would NOT personally recut this because of the absolutely charming cut, but if it has bothersome facet abrasions they can be repolished without changing the cut.

Super congratulations to you, I can't wait to see more photos!

Crazy zircon kozibe:

1610587616906.png

Tourmaline with a some discrete kozibe:
20201125_214644093_iOS (2).jpg

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I love wonky. So much personality. Can't wait to see it in (or on) hand

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
It is the craziest thing i have ever seen. Almost the entire sapphire is actually CLEAR. There is a teeny tiny speck of blue/gray in it that colors the whole stone. There is no way you could recut it at all. The cutter was a genius. One more nick and would have been entirely transparent.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
That's so cool! Isn't it amazing how a small touch of mineral can make the difference?
I can't wait for sun pics and I'd love to see more kozibe. That's new to me!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
OMG OMG OMG! It is beautiful. And just perfectly imperfect.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Wuahhhhh! I love what nature (and cutters) can do! What a treasure!

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, it's gorgeous!! That's amazing that the color is generated by one spot reflecting throughout the stone! Congratulations!

I don't see an open culet on the stone, I wonder if the effect is being generated by a reflection of a tiny window, or the beautiful blocky faceting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results